My Candida Story

Home The Candida Forum Your Stories & Journals My Candida Story

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Jman310 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jman310
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

Ok so i’ll make this brief:

I believe I have been suffering from Candida for 2 1/2 years now… Originally after having a nervous breakdown in class i noticed something different, for some reason I had a lot of gas every time I ate certain foods and gas would kind of escape me…
    At first I thought that this was due to anxiety, and I became devastated. I couldn’t sit in class any longer without experiencing cramps and gas course through my digestive track, it just SUCKED! Even though it was hard I somehow managed to get through school and continue with a social life, noticing that exercise helped reduce the symptoms. I took antidepresents but got off of them pretty soon realizing that they weren’t helping. I was lost for awhile not knowing where to turn; I then decided last year I would figure this out on my own and did a series of google searches, that’s when I found out about the Candida Diet.

I researched all I could about the candida diet and soon started the cleanse. This was hard but I knew the benefits would be great if I did it. So I started a colon cleanse and followed the strict candida diet. I experienced the symptoms of die off (headache, dizzyness, and sickness) just a day or two after eliminating sugar from my diet. Although it was hard I dieted for 3 weeks and noticed a significant different in my digestive tract. I succumbed to the craving and after 3 weeks of dieting I filled my belly with a BLT and chips. After that I slowly started getting off the diet but found myself experiencing the symptoms again from time to time (especially when I drank) Oddly though when I would take ecstasy I noticed my symptoms alleviate all together. (I’ve only taken ecstasy a few times in my life, don’t worry) I do remember doing research and finding that anxiety can partially contribute to candida overgrowth and symptoms, due to sugar being released when anxious thus feeding the candida. So to relieve stress and anxiety I upped up my exercise regime. Now take into note I had my doubts whether or not this was candida or anxiety the whole time, but i’ve always leaned more on my symptoms being candida overgrowth related. (due to having a mild anxiety attack in class and succumbing to depression, which is a time candida can take over). Over the summer I got some probiotics and they’ve definitely been helping. Yet my symptoms still seem to be somewhat there, although the first cleanse definitely did help. I noticed after my first cleanse the symptoms I initially had never returned with as much intensity as the initial occurrence. I thought about doing a second cleanse back in September but only lasted 4 days. I’ve had days where symptoms don’t occur (take note I take probiotics on a daily basis) while other times the symptoms would grow kind of bad. I’m lactose intolerant and after accidentally eating a cheeseburger that I thought was a hamburger I had some pretty bad gas, uncontrollable… So I decided something needed to be done.

Jumpfoward to today, I started the diet about 2 weeks ago. (this monday will mark day 14)
    After the first couple of days of cleansing I got a headache, became fatigued, and the usual, except this time I got a rash all over my thighs and over my body. Although this didn’t happen until this week, week 2. Take note that this rash could be from a new body wash I started using this week as the rash is only in all of the places where I washed myself with this new body wash) So yeah that’s kind of my story, it’s a little mixed up and I left A LOT out but that’s pretty much the gist of it. I’ve suffered for 2 1/2 years and I think it’s time to eradicate this overgrowth once and for all.

So my diet for the last 2 weeks has consisted of eggs, green beans, brown rice, chicken, broccoli, celery, almond milk, almonds, and ground beef (packaged)

I remember reading online that the probiotic saccharomyces boulardii was a GREAT probiotic to combat a candida overgrowth so i’ve been taking two of these a day since Thursday. (I was previously on another probiotic until this one arrived in the mail).
    I feel like my diet hasn’t been all too beneficial to what I need. Although I have noticed a complete difference in my gas levels (which is pretty much the only thing that bugs me candida-wise) over the past few months I have noticed that I do get a lot of discomfort in my wind pipe. I get this intense pain sometimes and a doctor on campus said it could be attributed to gas build up. (And since Candida gives me gas you see I have to get rid of it)

My questions are:
    So how have I been doing on my diet? Should I have not included rice so early? And i’ve been getting packaged ground beef, which has been one of my primary food items, should it not be packaged? I’m pretty sure this ground beef is fresh, but I read to not eat sealed meats so I’m not so sure anymore.
    As i’ve somewhat stated I do exercise on the regular and i’m somewhat athletic I guess you could say. On my best days I swim for 30min, and do another 40-50min of cardio. (run, bike, elliptical) I notice my symptoms go down when I exercise and the more I get into shape. I also notice when I do a lot of sit ups and build up my abs that my symptoms go away. This honestly makes me want to get into shape and get a six pack. (To seriously get rid of candida, would this help/work?)
    Thanks for all of the advice ahead of time, I appreciate it.

Chris24
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 329

Is gas really your only symptom? Cause then I would doubt if you have candida. How do you know you have candida?

Jman310

Chris24 wrote: Is gas really your only symptom? Cause then I would doubt if you have candida. How do you know you have candida?

-I also get muscle cramps, and it worsens the next day when I have a lot of sugar or drink alcohol.
    -I’ve recovered from depression/anxiety as much as I can, but having the candida doesn’t really let you do that.
    -My tongue doesn’t get white but my lips do at times…

Marbro
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 252

Get rid of the brown rice, that is feeding the candida. Buy quinoa to replace it. It cooks up like rice and can be used like rice for stir fries or whatever rice dish you are now making.

The beef is bad for the diet this early but if your going to to eat it anyways make sure it is organic with nothing added. I have been a huge meat and bread eater all my life and that’s been the hardest. But I have made do with BBQ Cornish game hens and chicken. You can make sausage with the dark meat of the chicken and that helps with meat cravings. I can find cheap whole young chicken at most of the grocery stores with no harmones, free range at around 6 bucks here in Washington. I get a couple of those a week and make gravy, stock and meals.

The almond milk if store bought and name brand is most likely feeding the candida. It should have nothing added. I can’t find that in the stores so I do not use it. I have gotten use to kefir milk and make dessert and drinks with that instead.

CT
    Replies: 63

Jman310 wrote: Ok so i’ll make this brief:gas would kind of escape me…

Hi, I suffer from exactly the same problem of ‘leaky gas.’ I hope you are getting some Psychological support for your depression! I know how difficult this problem is to experience in everyday life and how every minute of the day is consumed by it and what it feels like to be humiliated everyday. It feels like my life has been on hold for the last 2 years of suffering with it.

I feel anxiety may have a part to play in it, but I do not feel that it is the sole cause. I feel there is also a physical internal problem that underlies it. I went to hypnotherapy for several months and this helped reduce my anxiety over it, but this did not improve the FBO (fecal body odour) problem. I have also tried food intolerance diets (found I was sensitive to fructose, but still my FBO continued), FOD-MAP diet, supplements such as charcoal.

While there is no formal research in this area because the condition is so rare I believe that it could be a candida problem. A small charity has conducted an informal research study to investigate. The results indicate that gut dysbiosis may play a role i.e. candida.

Some people in the charity also believe that the condition may be linked to a deficiency in a methionine adenosyltransferase enzyme. They belief that several conditions have to exist i.e. a gut dysbiosis and perhaps a defieciency in this enzyme, so when you have gut dysbiosis it overloads the enzyme and so cannot cope resulting in the gas. Additionally it may be linked to the TMAU syndrome (fish odor syndrome). There could be a deficiency in the FM03 enzyme.

If you want to find out more, get more support or participate in the research studies go here: http://www.bloodbornebodyodorandhalitosis.com/

Also a very informative blog:http://systemicbodyodor.blogspot.com/2011/11/systemic-body-odor.html

Also there are people who post on the IBS forum:http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/forum/17-gas-flatulence-bloating-incontinence-fecal-body-odor/

Most importantly there have been people if you read the testimonies on the website who have cured there FBO (fecal body odour) with a candida diet, so you are going in the right direction! Sorry I cannot find the link to the testimonies at the moment but I will see if I can try and find it.

I haven’t yet had any improvements in my FBO by using the candida diet for two months, but I feel the process will be slow going so just keep going!

Jman310

CT wrote:

Ok so i’ll make this brief:gas would kind of escape me…

Hi, I suffer from exactly the same problem of ‘leaky gas.’ I hope you are getting some Psychological support for your depression! I know how difficult this problem is to experience in everyday life and how every minute of the day is consumed by it and what it feels like to be humiliated everyday. It feels like my life has been on hold for the last 2 years of suffering with it.

I feel anxiety may have a part to play in it, but I do not feel that it is the sole cause. I feel there is also a physical internal problem that underlies it. I went to hypnotherapy for several months and this helped reduce my anxiety over it, but this did not improve the FBO (fecal body odour) problem. I have also tried food intolerance diets (found I was sensitive to fructose, but still my FBO continued), FOD-MAP diet, supplements such as charcoal.

While there is no formal research in this area because the condition is so rare I believe that it could be a candida problem. A small charity has conducted an informal research study to investigate. The results indicate that gut dysbiosis may play a role i.e. candida.

Some people in the charity also believe that the condition may be linked to a deficiency in a methionine adenosyltransferase enzyme. They belief that several conditions have to exist i.e. a gut dysbiosis and perhaps a defieciency in this enzyme, so when you have gut dysbiosis it overloads the enzyme and so cannot cope resulting in the gas. Additionally it may be linked to the TMAU syndrome (fish odor syndrome). There could be a deficiency in the FM03 enzyme.

If you want to find out more, get more support or participate in the research studies go here: http://www.bloodbornebodyodorandhalitosis.com/

Also a very informative blog:http://systemicbodyodor.blogspot.com/2011/11/systemic-body-odor.html

Also there are people who post on the IBS forum:http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/forum/17-gas-flatulence-bloating-incontinence-fecal-body-odor/

Most importantly there have been people if you read the testimonies on the website who have cured there FBO (fecal body odour) with a candida diet, so you are going in the right direction! Sorry I cannot find the link to the testimonies at the moment but I will see if I can try and find it.

I haven’t yet had any improvements in my FBO by using the candida diet for two months, but I feel the process will be slow going so just keep going!

Thanks a lot, this is the biggest thing that gets to me. I notice it almost disappear completely within 2-3 weeks on a diet of no sugar but it can be hard to follow such a strict diet at times. I do feel anxiety is a minor factor but only when I can feel the gas course through me, and it just SUCKS. I don’t know how I pull off having a decent social life but I will say this condition definitely holds me back having an intimate relationship. I had 2 over the summer and occasionally make out with girls (I am in college) but it still holds me back a lot. I choose not to go out at times because i’m embarrassed, and I know I would have no anxiety if this condition wasn’t in me.

You might want to try doing as many sit ups as you can every day. I find that this helps a lot, along with a good cardio workout. I’ve noticed the more I get into shape the less the FBO occurs.

I failed to do a cleanse, which I will do on spring break when my schedule isn’t hectic with school and work all day so that should help.

CT
    Replies: 63

Jman310 wrote: I choose not to go out at times because i’m embarrassed, and I know I would have no anxiety if this condition wasn’t in me.

Yes I find myself avoiding situations too, it can be so frustrating because something I normally would enjoy becomes horrible. For example, I now never go to the cinema, I can’t stand being so close to people and them holding their noses, coughing, glaring etc. It even affects silly everyday things such as where to sit on the bus. I can’t sit on a bus without a newspaper to read so that I don’t have to make eye contact with anyone and an ipod so that I don’t have to listen to anyone muttering or laughing about the smell.

Thanks for the sit up tip, I haven’t been doing any exercise at all lately so this could be something that might help.

You don’t need to do the clense if it is too difficult. I didn’t do it, I just went straight onto the diet. The diet is not too difficult after the first couple of weeks. I find it helpful to list in advance the meals I would like to have for the week and make sure I get all the ingredients for that week then I won’t be tempted to try anything I shouldn’t eat.

Jman310

CT wrote:

I choose not to go out at times because i’m embarrassed, and I know I would have no anxiety if this condition wasn’t in me.

Yes I find myself avoiding situations too, it can be so frustrating because something I normally would enjoy becomes horrible. For example, I now never go to the cinema, I can’t stand being so close to people and them holding their noses, coughing, glaring etc. It even affects silly everyday things such as where to sit on the bus. I can’t sit on a bus without a newspaper to read so that I don’t have to make eye contact with anyone and an ipod so that I don’t have to listen to anyone muttering or laughing about the smell.

Thanks for the sit up tip, I haven’t been doing any exercise at all lately so this could be something that might help.

You don’t need to do the clense if it is too difficult. I didn’t do it, I just went straight onto the diet. The diet is not too difficult after the first couple of weeks. I find it helpful to list in advance the meals I would like to have for the week and make sure I get all the ingredients for that week then I won’t be tempted to try anything I shouldn’t eat.

If you’re up to it and your doctor is fine with it try and truly get into shape. I mean feel the burn from running or swimming, i noticed to more fat I burn the less the symptoms come. I’ve gotten over anxiety at the gym, even at school because people smell anyway when they work out so who cares. If you can’t go to the gym then at least try to jog/run outside and do sit ups and push ups when you have some privacy.

Also try and relieve as much stress as you can in your life, I find this helps as well. So take warm showers and do a bit of meditation, let the warm water soothe your body. The steam is also good for your pores as well.

Also I pleasure yourself, this helps relieve stress and helps you forget about what’s wrong. In the end keep positive and remember we’re in a first world country, at least we have food and can live. There are people out there who have it worse and worry about not having enough food or safety in their own homes.

Good luck

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘My Candida Story’ is closed to new replies.