My battle with the "beast"

Home The Candida Forum Your Stories & Journals My battle with the "beast"

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

mk3
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 17

Hi everyone, (I apologize in advance for the long winded post)

I am new here and only made my first post a couple days ago (should have probably posted here first). I am currently 24 years old and just became qualified as a High School teacher up here in Canada (Ottawa – the capital city). Very excited to start my new career in September…now to kill the “beast” (as my ND calls it) aka. Candida – so I can have my energy back and put in the utmost effort to enjoy the beginnings of this new stage of my life.

Brief Health History
    I have quite the health history but will try not go into all the details.

Had shingles twice as a child. Had Mono in my early teen years. Chronic strep throat (had tonsils taken out). Chronic sinus infections. Skin problems (acne, boils, cysts) the last 3-4 years (never really had acne through my teenage years). All of this means tons of antibiotics as a child and into my early twenties.

December of 2010 – I saw an integrative medicine doctor who diagnosed me with leaky gut and noticed I was intolerant to gluten, eggs, dairy and almonds (through blood testing – checking for antibodies – IgE and IgG4). I followed his regimen and started feeling quite a bit better.

October 2011 – I became VERY fatigued and would always be tired. I was not sleeping well and never felt refreshed even after 8-9 hours of sleep. My skin broke as bad as it ever has – I never had back or chest acne until now. Face was worse than ever. I was waking up 2-3 times a night with a strong urge to urinate. Al in all – just thought I needed to get my rest and get over whatever was causing this. Things got worse – I started to lose weight, felt depressed (unmotivated) and was becoming VERY constipated. Skin worsened and although I had a feeling that candida might be the issue I went on another 1 month cycle of minocin for my skin problems (mid January 2012). Blood work was all normal – so western doctors thought I was crazy!

End of February 2012 – I self-diagnosed myself with Candida at this time (thank you internet and the help of a few friends pointing me in the right direction). I began by eliminating ALL processed sugars, vinegars, yeasts, molds and reducing my carb intake (in the form of grains). With all the conflicting info online I was not as strict as I probably should have been – hindsight is 20/20…all part of the journey!

Early April 2012 – My symptoms had stagnated with some improving slightly but thought I should consult a professional. I saw a Naturopathic Doctor and she pretty much told me what I already knew. She had a very lenient view on the candida diet and I didn’t notice much of an improvement after first check-up with her after 1 month. She then had me start bentonite and caproyl. About 2 weeks after starting this phase with her I was referred to another ND (by my dentist ironically). I was hesitant to see someone else and perhaps confuse me even more. Well I decided to give her a shot.

Early June 2012 – See the 2nd ND and she is a lot more strict in terms of diet (no fruit, no red meat or pork, 1 small portion of grains every 2 days etc.). She uses “applied kinesiology” to see what my issues were and what supplements/herbs would help me. She noticed that I most definitely had candida, adrenal fatigue, kidney issues

Current Symptoms
    – weight loss (20 lbs below my ideal weight) – I’m not a big guy to begin with
    – skin breakouts (definitely better than back in January – swelling and painful boils/cysts are pretty much gone…still deal with some acne/redness and dry skin on face, back, chest and hands)
    – fatigue (although MUCH better than it was back in January 2012)
    – kidney/bladder issues – still have urgency problems – urinating 12-15 times/day – I do drink a TON of water but still peeing too much
    – digestion/elimination (again MUCH better than before but still not ideal – some stools tend to be quite hard or insufficient in terms of size; also gassy at times)
    – ammonia/weird smell in nose (has improved but still present – ND has me taking baking soda before bed to help reduce acidity and balance out pH levels)
    – dandruff/smelly scalp and slight loss of hair (thinning) – this has remained fairly constant although I no longer have any sores left on my scalp
    – tense/anxious feelings at times – for absolutely no reason even when I’m not nervous or anxious about anything

Current Diet (last 6 weeks)
    Protein Digestive aid taken with all meals: Protein Digestive Aid
    Probiotic – 1 before breakfast and 1 before dinner, brand: Metagenics
    Sip on chlorophyll in water throughout the day
    Drink 2.5-3 litres of water/day

Breakfast
    – glass of water with 2 tsp of Silvergard solution
    – fiber mix (1 tsp) and bentonite (1 tsp) – 25 minuted before I eat
    – 2-3 organic eggs
    – wheat-free oatmeal (every 2nd day) w/ unsweetened hemp milk and coconut milk, cinnamon and hemp hearts
    – yeast/sugar/gluten free Soda Bread w/ coconut butter as spread
    supplements/herbs:
    Vitamin B Complex
    Adrenal Support
    KB-C
    RE-X
    Caprylic Acid
    magnesium citrate capsule

Lunch
    – protein (chicken/turkey)
    – vegetables (steamed/grilled to help with digestion)
    supplements/herbs:
    same as breakfast except no RE-X

Dinner
    – fiber mix (1 tsp) and bentonite (1 tsp) – 25 minuted before I eat
    – large salad (cucumber, green peppers, onion and avocado) w/ home-made dressing (olive oil, squeezed lemon juice, herbs, salt, pepper)
    – protein (chicken/turkey)
    – vegetables (steamed/grilled to help with digestion)
    – very small amount of grain (brown rice or quinoa) (1-2/week)
    supplements/herbs:
    adrenal support
    KB-C

Snacks (morning/afternoon/evening) – 1 or 2 of the following:
    – coconut bread (recipe from this website!)
    – home-made hummus with rice crackers (although stopping with rice crackers for now as I think they were causing me to become gassy)
    – brown rice cake with almond butter
    – home-made pickled cucumbers/cabbage (made with celtic salt and water to create brine)
    – home-made lentil soup
    – apple or berries (VERY rarely (1-2 times/week) – ND told me re-introduce them slowly but I am still weary)

supplements/herbs (before bed):
    – 2 Calcium Tablets
    – 2 RE-X
    – 1 tsp of Magnesium powder in water
    – 1 tsp of baking soda in water

All cooking is done with olive oil but mostly coconut oil
    Use quite a bit of celtic and pink sea salt in my foods – suppose to help me retain liquids better

Recommendations
    The internet can be a blessing but also a curse because I read WAY too much and there is so much conflicting information about candida and related diets…therefore I tend to overwhelm myself and second guess my regimen.

So I ask for recommendations with caution – if Raster or Able could chime in with perhaps some comments on my symptoms and corresponding diet that would be much appreciated. Also – Able could you send me the “strict diet”?… as I would like to compare it to my current diet.

It has been difficult at times because I don’t seem to react acutely to any foods so I generally gauge the “safety” of certain foods in my diet by how my skin reacts in the subsequent days. However, I have been told over and over that my skin is breaking out because of the elimination of toxins (die-off) so it could in fact be a good thing that my skin is breaking out and therefore not necessarily something I ate….confusing to say the least.

Overall I feel like I am on the right track finally and it’s nice to have a wonderful resource like this site. As selfish as it sounds…it’s nice to know others are facing similar struggles – for a while I (and the western doctors) thought I was crazy and saw very little hope.

It’s also comforting to know God is working this out for my good (although I may not even know what He is trying to show through this trial) – Rom. 8:28 – “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”

mk3

So I have been noticing a distinct smell to my stools lately. I am not even sure what it smells like – almost like burnt rubber. It is very strong smelling. There also seems to be a stringy/elastic subtance in my stools as well. Common? Candida-related? If this has been addressed in another thread please provide a link.

Thanks

mk3

Well I guess I’ll keep posting questions until I get a response 🙂

Does anyone know of a Canadian retailer that sells Molybdenum Amino Acid Chelate? I really don’t want to order from the UK and have it take 2 weeks to get to me.

I know milk thistle is more readily available in Canada. Anything in the ingredients that I should be looking for? certain brands better than others?

Thanks

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello Mk3,

The only thing I would change is what you eat. For instance, rice is very starchy like potatoes (which are not on diet) and contain low amounts of sugar…I would remove these and replace with buckwheat(only 25% starch) as an alternative. I noticed I progressed a ton more when I cut out all rice products. I love the rice cakes too, but just not good enough for the strict diet.

Same with almond butter. I would save both of these items until your leaky gut is mostly healed. Is it fresh almond butter? Almond butter is rather high in mold and can set you back some. I was highly allergic to it early on.

There are a ton more vitamins and supplements we can recommend such as SF722 undecenoic acid by thorne. The list can be very long.

There is a great teff bread recipe on the forum and the pumpkin pie muffin bread is anti-inflammatory.

-raster

mk3

raster wrote: Hello Mk3,

The only thing I would change is what you eat. For instance, rice is very starchy like potatoes (which are not on diet) and contain low amounts of sugar…I would remove these and replace with buckwheat(only 25% starch) as an alternative. I noticed I progressed a ton more when I cut out all rice products. I love the rice cakes too, but just not good enough for the strict diet.

Same with almond butter. I would save both of these items until your leaky gut is mostly healed. Is it fresh almond butter? Almond butter is rather high in mold and can set you back some. I was highly allergic to it early on.

There are a ton more vitamins and supplements we can recommend such as SF722 undecenoic acid by thorne. The list can be very long.

There is a great teff bread recipe on the forum and the pumpkin pie muffin bread is anti-inflammatory.

-raster

Ok – thanks for the advice.

As far as buckwheat…would these be ok?
    buckwheat graots
    Creamy buckwheat

mk3

raster wrote: Hello Mk3,

-raster

Also – what is the difference between the carbs in the flours from the breads you suggested and the carbs in rice products? And what about almond butter compared to the almond meal required for the pumpkin muffins? Is there a tangible difference in how candida reacts to them…or is it more about a personal preference (in terms of how your body reacts)?

Please clarify. Thanks Raster

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Mike.

what is the difference between the carbs in the flours from the breads you suggested and the carbs in rice products?

The important difference is that rice is starch and the flours suggested aren’t.
    Starch = sugar

– buckwheat graots
    – Creamy buckwheat

Both of these ‘should’ be alright, but I would say to treat them both as test foods.

And what about almond butter compared to the almond meal required for the pumpkin muffins?

Personally, I couldn’t use any type of almond products during my treatment because I always received Candida related reactions. So again, if you intend to use these, test first.

Is there a tangible difference in how candida reacts to them…or is it more about a personal preference (in terms of how your body reacts)?

That question depends on the individual, no one can tell you if or how you many react.
    It’s my belief that the Candida are somehow able to make use of any nut product; this is only due to my personal experience, and not research.

Able

mk3

Thanks for the reply Able.

My issue is I dont seem to react acutely to any foods (besides dairy and gluten which I completely avoid anyways)so it makes it difficult to know if a food is causing me problems because any reaction that may occur is very slow to develop.

Could you provide me with some carb options that do not have any starch? I have been avoiding any grains for a while and I find that this Paleo approach is causing my digestive system to slow down and I am struggling with constipation off and on. So I would like to get some more carbs into me without having the starch.

Thanks for your help!

Able900 wrote: Hello, Mike.

what is the difference between the carbs in the flours from the breads you suggested and the carbs in rice products?

The important difference is that rice is starch and the flours suggested aren’t.
    Starch = sugar

– buckwheat graots
    – Creamy buckwheat

Both of these ‘should’ be alright, but I would say to treat them both as test foods.

And what about almond butter compared to the almond meal required for the pumpkin muffins?

Personally, I couldn’t use any type of almond products during my treatment because I always received Candida related reactions. So again, if you intend to use these, test first.

Is there a tangible difference in how candida reacts to them…or is it more about a personal preference (in terms of how your body reacts)?

That question depends on the individual, no one can tell you if or how you many react.
    It’s my belief that the Candida are somehow able to make use of any nut product; this is only due to my personal experience, and not research.

Able

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

mk3 wrote: Thanks for the reply Able.
    Could you provide me with some carb options that do not have any starch? I have been avoiding any grains for a while and I find that this Paleo approach is causing my digestive system to slow down and I am struggling with constipation off and on. So I would like to get some more carbs into me without having the starch.

Hello, Mike.

I’ve sent the stricter diet to you; you only need to check the list shown under the “OTHER FOODS” category to see my recommendations for carb sources. Those are the sources I’m sure of, so I can’t recommend others if I don’t know they’re safe for the treatment. If you have one in mind, send me a link to the details and I’ll check it out.

Able

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘My battle with the "beast"’ is closed to new replies.