My 2 yr old vs Candida. Help.

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions My 2 yr old vs Candida. Help.

This topic contains 26 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author

gcha8e
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 28

My daughter was born with a hole in her intestine, and was operated on – successfully. She was given a large amount of antibiotics and antifungals while recovering. I thank the skillful surgeons and doctors that worked on her, but we are now aware, after about a year of bad, growing rashes on her legs arms and chest, that she is losing the battle with leaky gut/candida. Her food allergies seem to be increasing. Her immune system is generally strong, she was breast-fed after the first week in hospital and grew like a weed her first year. We gave her a few of her vaccinations in yr1 but stopped them as we discovered the lies and crap put out by standard medicine and pediatricians.

Today is actually a good day, but as I write this I am worried that as we research more and add more supplements and changer her diet, that we are only beginning a journey. I suppose that is based on some of the horror stories I’ve read here and elsewhere.

She has no symptoms other than irritability and skin rashes.
    -They appear much worse after getting to warm, they spread quickly during this time.
    -The rashes get angry red and spread slowly when she has allergic outbreaks. Outbreaks appear to be due to processed foods, GMO food, gluten, preservatives, acids, fruits containing seeds, such as kiwi, dairy, etc. We have eliminated a lot of it and use a lotion we make at home from castor oil, coconut oil, and jajoba oil. We use lavender and rose ointment as well.
    -I have just ordered a load of suppplements like Garlic and Caprylic acid and other things to take it to another level.

My biggest questions are 1) how to determine the difference between die-off and another type of allergic reaction. 2) is it possible that she has an external candida infection that is not based in her gut and intestines? I feel it would not be a major problem to use antifungals on the skin. I sincerly want to avoid drugs and oral antibiotics of all kinds.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

It is very possible to have candida on the skin only with no other symptoms; sometimes this is the only form of candida regular western doctors know about. I believe most doctors would prescribe Gentian Violet as something to apply to the skin to deal with it.

But there are alternatives such as castor oil, and applying undeceonic acid SF722 topically.

I have no idea how to help your daughter; I am sure able has some ideas on how to treat skin related candida.

Have you gone to any western or naturopathic doctors?

-Raster

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, and welcome to the forum.

Quote: My biggest questions are 1) how to determine the difference between die-off and another type of allergic reaction.

Reply: Whether or not you will be able to tell much of a difference depends on how well your daughter is able to communicate with you as well as if there is a big enough difference in the way she acts. To describe the die-off symptoms: total fatigue, so with a child, they would likely sleep a lot during that time.
    Die-off symptoms can be quite debilitating, even for an adult. One very good supplement for the symptoms of die-off will protect the liver from the Candida toxins as well as lessen die-off effects, it’s called Molybdenum. This is an essential mineral already found in the human body, and supplements are available in vitamin stores. According to the Food and Nutrition Board children between the ages of 4 and 8 need 22 mcg daily. Frankly, I don’t see what 1 mcg daily wouldn’t be alright for a two year old, but I would suggest that you speak with her doctor first. Don’t be surprised if he says “no” to Molybdenum since it isn’t a prescription, but rather a natural mineral found in many foods. For the die-off stemming from a Candida infestation normally more is needed that what’s available in the foods we eat. As I stated, supplements are available, but I don’t know if there would be one available which would allow you to measure such a small amount. Perhaps you could check with a local vitamin or health food store in your area.

Quote: is it possible that she has an external candida infection that is not based in her gut and intestines? I feel it would not be a major problem to use antifungals on the skin. I sincerely want to avoid drugs and oral antibiotics of all kinds.

Reply: Drugs and oral antibiotics will only make the symptoms worse and allow the infestation to grow and multiply.
    Even though the infection may be skin-based, you should still treat it from the inside out. The Candida are definitely in her body if they‘re on her skin, there’s no doubt about that. The Gentian Violet, also known as Methyl Violet which Raster mentioned should help to alleviate the itching and burning of her skin.
    If your daughter will eat green vegetables, I would feed her as much of these as she will eat, at every meal. If there’s any way you can stop giving her milk, this will help tremendously. You can feed her organic non-sweetened Greek yogurt as often as necessary for calcium and extra protein. If she refuses to eat it plain, you can add a bit of Truvia sweetener and perhaps the taste will make it easier for her to eat. Of course, if she’ll drink kefir this will be the best way to give her the benefits of milk during the treatment.
    Also, avoid giving her regular cereals; you can purchase something called “Cream of Buckwheat” from Amazon and possibly some health food stores. Also avoid giving her pork and red meat as well as potatoes, rice, crackers, and bread. Look over the recipe section of the forum to see if there are any recipes that she may eat. You may want to read over the allowed foods list from the forum as well.
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1136_ALLOWED-FOODS-LIST.aspx

Able

gcha8e

Thanks for the tips!

Based on your description I really do not think had that much die off effect then. It is not fatique really, she just has breakouts on the skin that get very red and make her itch like crazy. She always takes a regular nap each day for over 2 hours, but this has always been. If she does get a die off fatigue I will have some extra molybdenum around.

@raster: I am not sure what is meant by a “western” doctor but our doctor we currently see (by skype) is a bit of a naturopath, he prescribes vibrational remedys and the like. He is not very good at paying attention to the specifics of our child individually though, he seems to prescribe from his favorites (in his online store mostly) and is sort of arrogant in my opinion. 🙁

I will certainly look at the acid you mentioned. We currently make a cream out of Castor Oil, Coconut Oil, Jajoba oil, and Bees Wax. It was a home made dry skin remedy a friend gave us.

Tonight my wife came home and her support group all complained about the water kefir we have been brewing, saying it makes kids irratable, have acne, or generally causes problems. It is brewed with tubinado sugar and molassas. So dairy kefir seems the way to go then?

We are going to replace with Natren Healthy Trinty for the time being.

She eats some green veggies, she does eat red meat as much as we can for protein, she eats rice and potatoes as much as we can…. 🙁 We have to work on that. I have been certain of late we are simply not doing a good job on the sugar front. My half day reading websites has confirmed this. I have just this week declared war on the Candida.

I ordered a list of things from http://www.iHerb.com this week that my Mom’s nutritial healing guide recommended.

1 probiotic (Natren)
    2 Caprylic Acid
    3 Black Currant and Flax Seed oil fatty acids.
    4 Garlic (kyolic)
    5 Quercitin and bromilain with Vitamin C
    6 Vitamin B complex
    7 Calcium/magnesium/Vitamin D
    8 Grapefruit seed extract
    9 Aloe Vera fillet juice

We are also considering getting some kind of enzyme product called Candidase which kills Candida and cleans up the die off with two types of enzymes.

Is there any harm in taking all these products at the same time. We were thinking to take only one verfied “Candida killer” at one time, but give her all the vitamins and natural food stuff.

Able900
    Spectator

Please don’t give your child Candidase. You really need to do more research before you make an entire list of supplements and vitamins for her. Learn to read ingredients in more detail than you’ve ever done before, this will be imperative for her cure. Candidase contains just two enzymes, and one is very dangerous when a person is suffering from a Candida albicans infestation; it’s called cellulase.
    Taking individual (whether a few or many) digestive enzymes in general will eventually shut down the body’s own production of enzymes with continued use, at which point the body will continuously be dependent on artificial means of digesting all foods. We can train our body to do and become accustomed to almost any treatment, often for the worse.

As far as the use of cellulase (as well as hemicellulase) in particular is concerned; what it does is break down cellulose and hemicellulose (note the difference in spelling) into simple sugars. When breaking down the enzymes in the Candida cell walls only part of the Candida cells are destroyed by the enzymes, and the resulting sugars will simply feed the surviving Candida. The other big problem again is that Candida is kept in control by the acids formed as the beneficial intestinal flora ferment fibers. These include the insoluble fibers that contain enzymes. However, cellulase and hemicellulase enzymes digest these fibers, again creating simple sugars that can be absorbed unlike the longer chain sugar molecules of the fibers. And as mentioned before these sugars can feed the surviving Candida as not all the sugars are absorbed in the small intestine. By the way, the sugar absorbed in the small intestines is detrimental to the health of beneficial bacteria already there since they cannot feed on sugar. Cellulase and hemicellulase enzymes are not even produced naturally by human body, so how necessary can they really be?

Why did you choose the aloe vera? The Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center once reported that a toxicity can result from ingesting aloe vera, which could then result in a dangerously low blood potassium level and electrolyte abnormalities.

As far as a B vitamin, I would like to know what the brand name is of the Vitamin B complex.

If you don’t stop giving her the grapefruit seed extract every two weeks, the Candida albicans will adapt to it and it will become useless. It’s one of the many antifungals which the Candida can adapt to.

Able

gcha8e

Please don’t give your child Candidase. You really need to do more research before you make an entire list of supplements and vitamins for her. Learn to read ingredients in more detail than you’ve ever done before, this will be imperative for her cure.

Well, between my wife and I we are doing research independently, we don’t always see eye to eye. I travel frequently and and don’t cook much. She and all three kids now eat gluten and dairy free, and bake at home frequently. We eat all natural.

We have already given our 2yr old Enzymedica digestive enzymes for several months now because we wanted to try to reduce the effects of irritable gut, etc. As far as we have been able to tell, she has allergic like outbreaks due to:

Wheat/gluten
    Oats
    Corn and corn byproducts like maltodextrin
    diary and cheeses
    eggs (maybe)
    nuts (maybe)
    acidic fruits
    preservatives and refined or highly processed foods.

We substitue flax, Teff flour, and other wacky things for the regular refined stuff. We cook only with imported EV Olive oil, coconut oil, and clarified butter.

Anyway, we removed a lot from her diet, but we have yet to really do a “Candida diet” at this point because all our doctor prescribed was Indian Fire Tree bark tea and artichoke extract for liver detox. I am starting to think that this doctor is a bit too one dimensional for our personal issues. He is very good at helping people isolate alergies and autistic issues through all natural remedy. We have not gotten sick in the house for nearly a year now!

When breaking down the enzymes in the Candida cell walls only part of the Candida cells are destroyed by the enzymes, and the resulting sugars will simply feed the surviving Candida. The other big problem again is that Candida is kept in control by the acids formed as the beneficial intestinal flora ferment fibers.

With the enzymes she gets, my wife gives her a whole capsule. To me this seemed excessive, but as far as we knew there are no side effects. My concern was that it was simply overkill to give a whole capsule to a 2 yr old when that dosage supposedly digests an entire meal for an adult. I didn’t realize that the enzymes turned cellulose into sugar. We will rethink this.

Aloe Vera: This was listed in the book as providing a boost to the immune system by increasing white blood cells naturally. It also contains medium chain fatty acids, that are apparently good at fighting Candida. Why would healthy fats and fatty acids do anything bad. I specifically avoided the “whole plant” juice because of toxicity concerns, but are there also concerns with toxicity for the fillet (pulp) juice alone?

I read that Garlic is an antifungal by the same token because it boosts white blood cells ability to fight.

B-Vitamins. The B complex was a cheaper brand with a large capsule of typical “energy” blend of B vitamins, such as cyanocobalamin, Niacin, Flolic acid…. – it is made by Enzymatic I think. I realize this isn’t the best B, or even the whole B complex, but the idea was to simply add a partial capsule for a small boost. We give our oldest daughter who had speech delays methylcobalimin, which the doc says is the real deal(costs much more) We also give her just a little of the Standard Process brand name “Cataplex B” because they claim that they provide the entire B complex from bovine liver extract. We planned to wait on the Cataplex B for the 2yr old until we had arrived at an agreed up on list, again, cost $$$ concerns.

(Ultimately we have decided that there is no ceiling on the budget for the supplements if we find out they are critical, but we certainly are not made of money.)

Grapefruit extract: Well, the plan is to currently rotate any of the potent Candida killer/antifungals, such as Grapefruit. Is two weeks a good rule of thumb for antifungal courses or is this more specific to grapefruit seed?

Thank you so much for all your help. Sometimes I feel like we are just stabbing in the dark!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Sounds like you found an OK naturopath, but I would consider going to someone else who knows more about other supplements and how to heal the body.

One simple way to raise white blood cells is to drink plenty of water.

Sounds like you are on the right track and all of those foods you mentioned your daughter can’t eat are typical ones you cannot have during/before the anti-candida diet.

-Raster

Able900
    Spectator

Good evening.

By now you probably know that the Enzymedica digestive enzymes contain cellulase.

Is the Enzymatic B Complex specifically for children? If you will, you can post the link to the exact one she is taking.

Quote: “Well, the plan is to currently rotate any of the potent Candida killer/antifungals, such as Grapefruit. Is two weeks a good rule of thumb for antifungal courses or is this more specific to grapefruit seed?”

Reply: Yes, I suppose so, I just wouldn’t expect much from the GSE. I’d rather see you give her garlic pills or real garlic instead of the GSE. You could also give her organic coconut oil as it’s a fine antifungal and will also help to change the environment of the digestive system so that it’s less hospitable to the Candida infestation.

Able

gcha8e

here is the link to the B vitamins.
    http://www.iherb.com/Enzymatic-Therapy-Fatigued-to-Fantastic-Daily-Energy-B-Complex-30-UltraCaps/2235?at=0

well, what can I say. It was cheap! We did not give it to her yet, I took a half capsule for myself yesterday and noticed absolutely no energy change. LOL. I did get very very yellow urine however.

organic coconut oil we do have. We buy the Nutiva brand lately. As soon as I get over fighting with the wife over all of this… Perhaps a topic of its own… I am going to make up a concoction of all the good stuff.

gcha8e

I’m going to try to convince my wife to stop giving the Enzymedica Complete Digest formula. She is getting a half capsule at each meal. I think this could possibly be a disaster. We are reducing her diet to a “specific carbohydrate diet”, and there are about 10 different enzymes in this formula. Including Cellulase and Hemicellulase.

Do these enzymes make food and fiber into glucose? If so, we are destroying our own efforts based on what you are saying, Able.

Able900
    Spectator

gcha8e wrote: Do these enzymes make food and fiber into glucose? If so, we are destroying our own efforts based on what you are saying, Able.

Cellulase and hemicellulase breaks down fibers into simple sugar, that’s correct.

I’m glad that finally hit home, now if you can convince your wife that you are making the child worse each time she’s given the enzymes.

Will she read the forum like you do, or does she just think we’re quacks?

Able

Able900
    Spectator

gcha8e wrote: here is the link to the B vitamins.
    http://www.iherb.com/Enzymatic-Therapy-Fatigued-to-Fantastic-Daily-Energy-B-Complex-30-UltraCaps/2235?at=0
    well, what can I say. It was cheap! We did not give it to her yet.

I really hope you guys decide against giving your daughter the B vitamins. Look at the percentages of the daily requirements on the label, and then think about this:
    Our bodies operate at their top level when the amount of each B vitamin is the correct ratio compared to the others. What this says is that there is a specific ratio of each B vitamin in the body as it relates to all the other B vitamins, and this ratio should and will stay as close as possible to the correct amounts as long as we give the body the correct tools (food) with which to produce the correct ratio. How can that ratio remain correct when we take over 8000% of what is needed of one vitamin but only 500% of another? Do you see the ridiculousness of synthetic B vitamins now? The only way to obtain the correct ratio of B vitamins is to add probiotics to the diet thus allowing the body to make its own B vitamins in the correct ratio.

Able

gcha8e

I do see your point and no, I will not give her the B vites. Tonight I took a bunch of the supplements myself, just to see if it would affect me. So far, a lot of gas.

gcha8e

today she had a low sugar diet, her rashes are pretty bad today. They are not as angry red as they sometimes get, I wonder if it is a die off effect. Thankfully, a mom we know has a child that has been two years on the “Specific Carbohydrate Diet” because of autism. This means that my wife will actually trust someone else to help with a diet, since she doesn’t trust me.

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

Able, what about adults using B- vitamins? I am still taking them should we too stop it? In the old post from you called Vitamins, Minerals and Herbs I dont find B-vit either.

thanks
    Thomas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘My 2 yr old vs Candida. Help.’ is closed to new replies.