mushrooms?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  kjones02 5 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

kjones02
    Participant
    Topics: 79
    Replies: 315

are mushrooms bad to eat on the candida diet? I had some this past weekend in a salad, and I thought they were good. I was out of town, and stuck with that, instead of the pizza every one else ate. just wondering b/c I have read they can be moldy, but then also, it depends on what type of mushroom it is. Maybe I should still stay away, or eat in only small amounts?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

The definition of a mushroom is, “the fleshy, spore-bearing fruiting body of a fungus produced above ground on soil or on its food source.”
    Eating a fungus seems a bit contradictory to a Candida treatment to me.

kjones02
    Participant

Thanks, I was just thinking about it tonight, cleared up my answer. Def. keeping them off the diet!!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Certain types of mushrooms can boost the immune system and some are used in treatments to fight cancer. However, I would recommend not eating any until you are close to being done with the diet. Eating it once a year or so shouldn’t set you back much though…

kjones02
    Participant

Thanks raster! I thought about this last night (thinking hmm, mushrooms, fungus) because I sort of wanted some more because some of the ones I had over the weekend in my salad were pretty good. I don’t think I reacted too bad to them, but of course, my gut was not in the best shape from being away from home. At least I didn’t eat the pizza that was covered with grease and lots of cheese that everyone else ate. I have sort of missed pizza lately. I need to make the candida-friendly one (or develop one myself) and try it!!

Cheesey
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 245

I never understood this. Candida is obviously a completely different type of fungus to mushrooms. Moreover, we are encouraged to consume kefir which has yeast. Surely the same logic would apply there?

Saying ‘it’s a fungus, therefor its bad’, doesn’t really seem to be an actual explanation. No candida diet allows them, but I still don’t actually understand why.

goingnatural
    Topics: 38
    Replies: 249

Cheesey;43572 wrote: I never understood this. Candida is obviously a completely different type of fungus to mushrooms. Moreover, we are encouraged to consume kefir which has yeast. Surely the same logic would apply there?

Saying ‘it’s a fungus, therefor its bad’, doesn’t really seem to be an actual explanation. No candida diet allows them, but I still don’t actually understand why.

Fair question.

The issue, I think, is related to our INDIVIDUAL immune response to fungus, ie mushrooms, or, in your example, kefir. Yeast don’t feed on mushrooms, however, it may elicit a strong immune/hypersensitivity (as mushrooms and kefir do in my case).

As I have said before I think it is best to let your own body be your guide.

raster
    Participant

Fungus can feed on other fungus easily and this is the main reason to avoid mushrooms.

-raster

goingnatural
    Topics: 38
    Replies: 249

raster;43576 wrote: Fungus can feed on other fungus easily and this is the main reason to avoid mushrooms.

-raster

Based upon what research? I still stand by what I said above unless I see some research about this.

raster
    Participant

Its a widely known fact that candida thrives on molds and molds are a type of fungi.

-raster

Cheesey
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 245

raster;43583 wrote: Its a widely known fact that candida thrives on molds and molds are a type of fungi.

-raster

It was also a widely known fact that the earth was flat.

I’m not about to run out and buy some mushrooms, but unless I were to see some actual evidence that candida feeds on fungus I will remain sceptical. I think goingnatural has the right idea in that it might present a sensitivity issue. That would probably be the most believable scenario.

kjones02
    Participant

Seems I brought up a good topic here. lol, yeah, I just wondered because I didn’t think about doing any harm when I ate them recently. Also, I didn’t seem to react to them, but I will leave them out right now. I am going to ask the doctor about this next time I have a consult with him.

raster
    Participant

The way I look at it is that candida thrives on certain types of molds/fungi more than others; for instance mildew is one that it likely thrives on. Certain Japanese mushrooms it may not be able to thrive on very well.

I lived in a very moldy apartment and you can find tons of stories about how mold toxicity can lead to candida overgrowth. Same thing happened to my wife as well. We both likely had high candida levels before living in these apartments but it totally caused the candida to explode over time.

-raster

kjones02
    Participant

Very good point again raster. I began to think more about mold, too this past year; especially after living in moldy college dorms, moldy apartment building, and now the house I live in I know contains mold. My partner has tried to clean up the house, and we are slow at it; I know he has problems off and on, but he doesn’t complain like I do. But yes, I know my symptoms got worse as I got more and more involved in college life. This is why I decided to not eat mushrooms. Maybe every once in a blue moon, but now I am thinking fungus, too. I don’t want anymore mold.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘mushrooms?’ is closed to new replies.