Mushrooms

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  raster 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

MV1991
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 6

My RD and I have been talking about foods to reintroduce and are both debating introducing mushrooms to my diet. We both find the “fungus feeds fungus” claim to sound absurd, but can’t seem to find any other information against them (at least in regards to candida). Is there a concern about mold contamination, as with corn and cashews? If one is not allergic to mold, will it still pose a problem, if this is so?

I sometimes suspect that I may have an issue with mold, as I seem to get random redness and itching around my mouth while eating foods I am typically tolerant of, as well as small red spots on my stomach on a few occasions. Both reactions often happen when eating leftovers.

Fresh, local, organic shitake mushrooms are sold at my local farmer’s market. These would probably the ones I’d eat exclusively, as they have many health benefits and – supposedly – anti-fungal properties. The same grower also sells maitake mushrooms (aka Hen of the Woods) which are also supposed to be healthful, but as they are less familiar I intend to stay with the shitakes if I do eat mushrooms on the diet at all.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

TheXtremisT
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 126

Go for it and see how you feel. Best to try small, then up if tolerable. Had you said regular mushrooms I would have said bad idea, but shitake are better, you’re right. There are other varieties ok for candida sufferers (if tolerated), but most of the time they harbour too many mycotoxins, which is fungal toxins.

You’re right with the doc on fungus doesn’t feed fungus. I’ve argued this repeatedly in the past, and hope people begin to see it this way.

What happens is mold/fungal foods (mushrooms etc…) and yeast can cause immune responses if you are allergic to them, just like gluten/lactose problems. This is more likely if you’re fighting candida, and these things you eat trigger the immune system to fight (due to similarities of all fungi/yeast ‘bodies’, even if dead). Your body fights the ‘invaders’, weakening under the stress, the immune system is busy and allows candida to repopulate because they aren’t being fought themselves as much.

Also, the mycotoxins from the foods/organisms are released into your bloodstream, mimicking candida symptoms.

So avoid at all costs unless you’re certain you can tolerate them.

MV1991
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 6

Are there any guidelines as to when to the shitakes? Also, will cooking help to destroy the mycotoxins concerned here?

Will intolerence likely be noticable — in other words, if my body is neutral towards them after a few tries should I consider that a “green light”?

Is this similar to the “ferments”? I find that I do well with lactofermented vegetables and soy-free miso.
    Actually, on the topic, which ferments fall safe on Raster’s list? If I recall properly, it just vaguely states “most ferments”.

Thank you for your response, by the way. I didn’t dig up much useful information on my own!

Spencer Jose
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 1

I’ve done a fair amount of research into this, and i’m not seeing any evidence of mushrooms being bad for the candida diet. Intact, I read a lot about one in particular, the Chaga Mushroom. It’s supposed to be quite the powerful anti-fungal… My girlfriend picked some up today and I’d love to know if I should try it. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

TheXtremisT
    Participant
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 126

No problem MV!

Spencer: Mushrooms are fungi, and candida is a yeast that transforms into a pathogenic fungus. The body recognises fungi as invaders and attacks it, and I also said the toxins present also pose a problem.

Candida websites that say all mushrooms are fine I wouldn’t trust. There are a couple of varieties that are supposedly ok, like reishi mushrooms, but it isn’t recommended to just go out and buy regular mushrooms from the supermarket. Only try after you have gotten your health a lot better, and treat EVERYTHING as a test food item.

I don’t know much about chaga types, but again, treat as a test food and don’t go whole hog right away.
    Anything antifungal is worth a try, as long as it doesn’t trigger a bad response.

MV: You could have many symptoms. You may get headaches, some get sinus pressure. I got a tight chest (asthma feeling) and slightly swollen tongue. Then bloatedness, and maybe gas.
    Try them on a day with easy to eat foods, and stuff you can tolerate well cause that way you’ll notice stuff more.

Ferments on Raster’s list are kefir, yoghurt, sauerkraut and kombucha I believe. All should be cautious when trying. Kim chi is also a good one, and I don’t know any others that are ok.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I’ve had some mushrooms in my hot and sour soup when I cheat and I think its a midly bad item. It just doesn’t set me back very much. I just would aim for other foods to introduce in your diet because I just don’t think mushrooms are that healthy and beneficial. You should aim for mostly 100% beneficial foods and mushrooms aren’t in that category for me.

-raster

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Mushrooms’ is closed to new replies.