Mummy and Daughter with Candida Overgrowth

Home The Candida Forum Your Stories & Journals Mummy and Daughter with Candida Overgrowth

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  caterina81 4 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

caterina81
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 8

Hi everyone,

I’m Catherine 33 and my daughter Jessica is 8, 9 in a few weeks and live in the UK. Im a single mummy, run my own business from home and also home-school.

I’ve been battling with thrush since my daughter was born in 2005, I tore at birth (only 1st degree) maybe that was the initial cause. I had it on and off, mainly after intercourse. That was how it was for many years, Id have the odd pessary and it would be ok for a while then back again.

I’ve suffered with hypoglycaemia/low blood sugar all my life, pretty much everyone on my mothers side from my grandfather have it also. We have ALL dealt with it badly, basically because we didn’t know what it was. By badly I mean we dealt with it with sugar! High sugar diets not so high fat..which obviously makes it worse.

In 2011 I had 3 courses of antibiotics and this is when things started to get worse. Poor diet and possibly the hardest year of my life and it just went crazy. I was in so much pain the creams wouldn’t work the pessary’s didn’t work. I was in and out of the clinic with “yes you have a yeast infection, here’s another pessary” no help at all, I told them “they don’t work!” they didn’t care.

So that was that..I basically had to live with awful painful lady bits. I used way too much creams over the years.

Early 2013 I had a copper coil fitted. In 2012 the doctors refused to put it in as it would push the thrust up inside my body. 2013 I guess I had a good couple of good weeks and when I asked for it in desperation for some birth control, they fitted it.

Gradually over the last almost 2 years it’s got so much worse. I have thrush in my mouth too now, white tongue. I started to feel mentally not right, incredibly sensitive to everything also, touch smell etc. Anxiety, depression then major highs. Hardly any energy, poor sleep, glands (neck and groin) swollen constantly, dandruff, my hairs been falling out at a scary rate, ringing in my ears 10 times a day, heart palps, major brain fog, stars in the corners of my eyes (I think that’s a sugar low though) and always ill, I just get every bug under the sun, consitpation then weeks of diarrhoea and vice versa, bloating, and heartburn feelings.

I am desperate now to get better so finally taking the plunge to love myself and my body and treat it right my whole life is suffering majorly for it. Ive been researching it for so long and time to put my health first for a change! (cant believe I joined this forum May 2013, slaps self)

So then there is my beautiful daughter Jess. I actually had no idea she had candida until a couple of weeks ago, I think must be also caused by anti-b.
    Jess for about 4 years has gotten ill a lot, she would bring every bug home from school and was always off with something. She had the worst ‘growing pains’ (not growing pains) her teacher was not very sympathetic and would shout at her for complaining of the pain. One of the reasons I took her out, it was torture for her. She also went to the doctors who referred her to the hospital for a check over…guess what “she’s fine, just growing pains”

Poor Jess really has had it bad with her legs and recently her back too after she started a martial arts class. She would always be a little better at summer time, she would improve greatly so she joined a home school class to keep fit. I had to take her out of it too when her symptoms came back even worse than before. She also has athletes foot, white tongue, itchy lady parts and bottom, itchy skin, irritating eyes, constipation, poor concentration, brain freeze, finds it hard sometimes to think properly when speaking, constant infections, brown mucus coming from her ears, and poor energy levels when doing even a short walk. But with all that, Jess other than being in pain after walking somewhere is an incredibly happy girl, she really is, everyone points out what a pleasure she is to be around. My little angel!

I feel awful not knowing Jess had it too, all this time ive been feeding the candida sweets, we actually have a normal diet just darn sweets added to it. I feel pretty horrendous about it all. Annoyed all this time back and forth to the docs and zero help, just another pill..

Anyway I always believe there’s a positive to be found in everything and here I believe Id never have gone on a healthy diet without it, so a slap in the face was needed. If you saw me and Jess on the street you would think we were very healthy beings, both slim and good skin tone.. funny that!

I haven’t gone full into the candida diet because for one im worried about the die off and I am a single mum running a business and have zero help. Two I don’t think I could mentally cope with cold turkey style and 3 I’m worried what they say in the gaps vs candida diet about cutting out all sugars may be true.

It really is incredible the amount of conflict on every single thing about the candida diet. Its hard enough having candida but omg researching it is a killer. Many say its acidic, others its alkaline. Some say cancer cant grow in alkaline conditions, cancer docs say it starts in candida alkaline conditions and the cancer makes it acidic (so that worries me a lot), others say take vits then others say dont it feeds the candida, some say eliminate all sugars, others (gaps) say this is the worst thing you can do.. its mentally destroying just looking for an answer. I guess thats why we are all here to help one another find the RIGHT answer.

So basically at the moment I have thought to myself to get healthy anyway, its a start at least! So since Saturday we cut out the sugar as in white sugar so far and bread. When i get sugar lows I go for a cracker with organic butter and organic peanut butter. Were basically eating healthy rather than a candida diet as such with added supplements.

I’m taking a 14 strain Probiotic twice a day, 100mg Chlorophyll, 400iu Vit E, 500mg Neem Leaf and 150mg Oregano Oil twice a day and just started also taking Candiaclear (calcium octanoate, magnesium octanoate which generate 265 & 290 octanoic acid, pau d’arco, thyme, rosemary, lemon balm)

I also had my copper coil removed Monday!

So we are basically eating a normal healthy diet 99% organic. There are lots of thing we eat that are not on the candida diet but im seeing how this goes by just cutting out the crap and taking supplements. I’m also drinking cider apple vinegar, kefir and night, docuhing with coconut oil and a few ess.oils and scrubbing my tongue with bicarbonate of soda and coconut oil. In the mornings I drink hot water with half a lemon, 1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper, 1tbsp grated ginger.

So far the first day i woke up feeling amazing, I think possibly for once i had a great night sleep. But since then Ive felt poorly, worse than ever, my upper body hurts, very sore throat, jelly legs and no energy. Mentally on edge, but that comes and goes, like im bipolar! Next minute i feel ok again.
    But my lady bits are fine though!

Yesterday I decided to add Vitamin C to my diet which was a big mistake as I didn’t check the ingredients. Just an hour after and my lady bits felt itchy, my tongue fuzzed up like never before, its not ever been that white before! The darn tablets had Maltodextrin in it, I’ve read they are even worse than sugar for candida! So anyway i scrubbed my tongue, ate a raw garlic clove, took my usual tablets and drank some cider vinegar which all very much helped.

Im buying some Grapefruit seed extract for Jess also as other than the diet, she is only taking the probiotic and only 1 a day. I heard its good…

I’ll update maybe in a week or so 🙂 look forward to reading others updates as they get well.

Good luck everyone, we can do it!!

Cat x

KiwiRae
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 12

Hi Catherine, Feeling empathetic for you and Jess! I have treated myself and my two boys (now 11 & nearly 9) for Candida overgrowth and consequent symptoms. Unfortunately for my children, they inherited my poor ecology and struggled with known symptoms from birth, although I did not recognize them until years later when my own state of health seriously unraveled after heavy antibiotic use. Clearly I think I was also predisposed to this dibilitating ‘infestation’ and decided to work on correcting the health of my boys while they are young. I hope you’ll be pleased to know it is totally achievable, and at least in my children, has not required the strictness of diet I once imposed upon myself. Rae

solarspirit8
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 4

I totally understand what its like to try and recover from candida. Ive been working on it since 1999. I have no one to help support me through it financially, so have to work and cant go through heavy die off periods. I am now down to only being able to eat and digest a dozen foods, in part due to having gone on the extreme diet route too quickly. If I can suggest anything, it would be to go very very slow when you start anything new. There is no such thing as the ‘right’ diet….one guy will tell you this and the next guy will tell you something else. So, a slow elimination diet will help you to know which foods are candida triggers for you. Eliminate gluten, starches, sugar, yeast, maybe even eggs..and more as you go. Discover what the safe vegetables are for you. (I can’t do broccoli, potatoes, peppers, and others.) As you are eliminating foods, make sure youre collecting some good simple recipes so you wont get bored with the foods you are left with. Make sure to make big batches of healthy soup to keep in the freezer for when you are not feeling up to cooking. Be prepared as best you can.

Be very very careful with supplements too. What works for one, may not be right for you. Intense die off symptoms can wreak havoc on your liver and other body systems and you will crash. And when you stop them, what candida remains is likely to morph and fight back, so there is often no real resolution and you will be left depleted and feeling defeated.

I can honestly say that I dont have the answers. But I have discovered that you have to work on eliminating candida biofilms or no matter what you are doing, the potential for future flares remains. there are some excellent products on the market now, but you may have to go slow with them as well due to die off. And make sure to check the ingredients in probiotics. Magnesium is a no no. Rice, maltodextrin, any form of dairy…not good for candida sufferers.

Go slow, be patient and try not to resort to taking things that create more stress to the body mind. You and your daughter will become too run down to find balance, which weakens the immune system and strengthens candida.

Blessings to you.

caterina81

KiwiRae;60383 wrote: Hi Catherine, Feeling empathetic for you and Jess! I have treated myself and my two boys (now 11 & nearly 9) for Candida overgrowth and consequent symptoms. Unfortunately for my children, they inherited my poor ecology and struggled with known symptoms from birth, although I did not recognize them until years later when my own state of health seriously unraveled after heavy antibiotic use. Clearly I think I was also predisposed to this dibilitating ‘infestation’ and decided to work on correcting the health of my boys while they are young. I hope you’ll be pleased to know it is totally achievable, and at least in my children, has not required the strictness of diet I once imposed upon myself. Rae

Hi KiwiRae

Thats great to hear they got free of it. Its bad enough when we have it but feels awful to know our children have been suffering for years with it, missing out on childhood. My daughter certainly has been, she wont walk anywhere far due to her leg pain. Its obviously due to the candida wiping her of vitamin D. She took vitamins and it was much better but then they seem to make no difference again. It worries me that it if anything helps the candida by feeding them more by taking the suppliments. Moving to a hot country would help lol but I sadly cant do that and I cannot stand the heat since my overgrowth got worse.

We’ll get there! 🙂

caterina81

solarspirit8;60393 wrote: I totally understand what its like to try and recover from candida. Ive been working on it since 1999. I have no one to help support me through it financially, so have to work and cant go through heavy die off periods. I am now down to only being able to eat and digest a dozen foods, in part due to having gone on the extreme diet route too quickly. If I can suggest anything, it would be to go very very slow when you start anything new. There is no such thing as the ‘right’ diet….one guy will tell you this and the next guy will tell you something else. So, a slow elimination diet will help you to know which foods are candida triggers for you. Eliminate gluten, starches, sugar, yeast, maybe even eggs..and more as you go. Discover what the safe vegetables are for you. (I can’t do broccoli, potatoes, peppers, and others.) As you are eliminating foods, make sure youre collecting some good simple recipes so you wont get bored with the foods you are left with. Make sure to make big batches of healthy soup to keep in the freezer for when you are not feeling up to cooking. Be prepared as best you can.

Be very very careful with supplements too. What works for one, may not be right for you. Intense die off symptoms can wreak havoc on your liver and other body systems and you will crash. And when you stop them, what candida remains is likely to morph and fight back, so there is often no real resolution and you will be left depleted and feeling defeated.

I can honestly say that I dont have the answers. But I have discovered that you have to work on eliminating candida biofilms or no matter what you are doing, the potential for future flares remains. there are some excellent products on the market now, but you may have to go slow with them as well due to die off. And make sure to check the ingredients in probiotics. Magnesium is a no no. Rice, maltodextrin, any form of dairy…not good for candida sufferers.

Go slow, be patient and try not to resort to taking things that create more stress to the body mind. You and your daughter will become too run down to find balance, which weakens the immune system and strengthens candida.

Blessings to you.

Hi Solarspirit

Thanks, yes I agree slowly rather than diving into it. I’ve been eating healthy for a week now however I see what items I still need to remove as they cause my tongue to flare up. Im constantly in the mirror before and after meals now checking my tongue haha. I felt terribly about day 2 and 3 all the die off symptoms but I think with not going cold turkey Im still feeding the little buggers. I still dont feel well but not so bad I cant leave the house etc.

I read about the biofilms yesterday and will look further into thanks and see how i can kill em off the best way and not like many have a flare up soon as they eat something not on the candida diet.

Cheers 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Mummy and Daughter with Candida Overgrowth’ is closed to new replies.