Mucilage

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Javizy 7 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

I’ve seen mucilage pop up a few times in stuff I’ve been reading lately. Apparently the reason flaxseed can be such a good digestive is because of its high concentration (12%) of mucilage, and it’s also mucilage that provides the soothing effects of herbal remedies like slippery elm and burdock root.

I can’t find any reference to it on the forum, so I was wondering what the expert opinion is of mucilage in the context of candida. I’ve heard it can help remove built up crud from the intestines, which makes it a less hospitable environment for candida. Is it something we should all be trying to include in our diets?

I’ve ordered some slippery elm powder anyway, since it was recommended elsewhere on the forum. The only fresh source I can find is okra, since flaxseed isn’t on the allowed list.

I wonder how people who’ve had reactions to flax have prepared it though. Heating it would quickly turn the high amount of essential fatty acids (probably its best feature) rancid and the nutritional benefit would evaporate. If you buy pre-ground flaxmeal, then it’s already rancid. Eating more than a few tablespoons a day can be dangerous, especially without a big increase in water consumption, and the whole seeds can’t be digested and will probably aggravate your intestines. Seems like it could be easy to get a reaction through no fault of the flax itself. Any thoughts? I think Able said he eats it regularly.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The topic ‘Mucilage’ is closed to new replies.