MTHFR Genetic Mutations & Impaired Methylation Problems

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions MTHFR Genetic Mutations & Impaired Methylation Problems

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  lockie86 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

lockie86
    Participant
    Topics: 33
    Replies: 76

Hi,

has anyone struggled with shifting toxins and had this test and it’s come back as positive?

And does anyone have info on the protocol of supplements/support if you have this issue?

I’m thinking of having this test but wondering if the treatment differs much from what I’m doing already?

Any info from anyone who’s been through this hugely appreciated.

Lisa’s explanation below.

Thanks!

Mark

————

MTHFR Genetic Mutations & Impaired Methylation Problems

This is a very important and growing area of research that just a small fraction of current physicians and health care providers are aware of. Approximately one-tenth of the population have particular genetic defects in the liver that make detoxification much more difficult and inefficient. In the case of MTHFR defects, individuals can present as ‘heterozygous,’ ’homozygous,’ or ‘compound’ for this defect, based on blood testing. There are two particularly important genes, known as C677C and A1298C, which determine which classification you may fall under. Your classification depends on how many mutations you have in each one.

Detoxification rates for each classification vary significantly, but they are generally impaired by between 30% and 70%. This is very significant for those individuals struggling with Candida Related Complex, as they will likely have a much more difficult time clearing those noxious Candida metabolites. In these cases, they may need significant assistance from supplements and other therapies to enable their livers to cope with the Candida toxins and avoid a Herxheimer reaction.

While it is beyond the scope of this book to go into a whole treatment protocol for those with MTHFR defects, it is noteworthy that some of the supplements that we’ve already discussed are recommended by leading researchers and physicians.

Supplements such as NAC, milk thistle, curcumin, and glutathione can all help with MTHFR defects.

For more information, or if you have noticed that you are especially sensitive to supplements, chemicals, fragrances, or cleaning products, consider getting tested. You can find a MTHFR test by following the link below, and you can also discuss this with your qualified integrative or holistic healthcare provider.

Wiley200
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 386

I don’t think there is very much difference in the treatment, except that you would need lots more of the detoxing supplements to avoid a die-off reaction.

If you’re worried about it, then why not get tested? Then you’ll know either way 🙂

I think MTHFR mutations are a lot more common than people generally realize.

lockie86
    Participant

Thanks for the reply. Have not tested yet cos none seems to be available in Europe and also the States test, if I can even do it, is $450! Not cheap and esp if the treatment is much the same.

It’s the ‘lots more’ that I’m interested in. How much more (and how much more is safe), and specifically which supplements?

I would love to hear from someone who has been through this and hear exactly what they did.

Thanks again!

Wiley200
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 386

How about this:
    http://www.mthfr-genetics.co.uk

They seem to offer testing and support in the UK.

lockie86
    Participant

Many thanks for taking the tim to look for this, I’ll check these out. The other lab told me they were the only place to do that test in the world, but hopefully they are wrong.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘MTHFR Genetic Mutations & Impaired Methylation Problems’ is closed to new replies.