Most of us are wrong about Candida

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Most of us are wrong about Candida

This topic contains 11 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Acqwan 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Road2Recovery
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 34

I’ve been through many doctors and did the dvjorge protocol plus more and still no cure. I don’t think most of us have candida issues, or its not whats really causing all the horrible side effects.

I just went to a top gastro (MD) and he pretty much knew what was going on in a matter of minutes, after I explained my symptoms. He is confident I have SIBO and is doing a breath test to confirm. There are different types of bad bacteria that can cause overgrowth in the small intestine. Some produce hydrogen and some produce methane. Hydrogen causing bacteria normally causes diarrhea and methane normally causes constipation.

He suspects I have methane causing archaea bacteria overgrowth, which is much harder to treat than hydrogen causing bacteria. There is only a 30 percent success rate with the top gut antibiotic called rifaxin. I have had GI issues for 5 years now and have to stay on a strict paleo diet to even function.

He explained the bacteria overgrowth in the small intestine causes the food to ferment too soon, which causes inflammation and mast cells to become overactive. When this happens long enough, the intestines can become permeable and food particles get to the blood stream which create more inflammation and you start having even more food sensitivities and side effects. From there it snowballs and then your adrenals get overworked from producing cortisol all the time and the side effects just keep adding up. Its a nightmare.

I have reached that point and eating the wrong foods causes brain fog, and I can only tolerate low carb, non starchy, no sugar, foods. The bacteria in small intestine feed off sugar and carbs which then produce their gases. This is why some people get bad bloating after eating carbs or sugar and is a good sign of small intestine bacterial overgrowth.

The doctor told me that there is no quick fix for this and that I need to stay on the diet and it may take up to 3 months to get rid of. He has me on prescription medication to help stabilize my mast cells and reduce inflammation. He wants me to try CBD oil for the brain fog. And by dumb luck he happens to be very educated in SIBO and created a product to help fight it, sense the success rate of curing SIBO can be really low. The product is called Atrantil and i will be taking that for 3 months and possibly running a course of rifaxin and neomycin. I have no affiliation with him or his product. Look into it or not, but what I do recommend is that if you arent having success with “candida”. Definitely get a sibo breath test.

I thought it was kind of crazy and asked how I could possibly have this for 5 years? He said he had a patient that dealt with it for 7 years. It can be very hard to treat and people have SIBO to different degrees with different bacteria. The lucky ones can cure it with diet or a round of rifaxin, but the unluckly ones like me have to go on a strong protocol for quite awhile. This all started with too much antibiotics and a very terrible diet. Its been a nightmare, but I think there is light at the end of the tunnel. I hope this post might help some people overcome their mysterious battle with illness.

WhiteTrash
    Participant
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 35

Could be this, could be something else, could be candida.

Taking probiotics orally caused SIBO for me.

The key is to take your probiotics through enema

Road2Recovery
    Participant

I just see so much overlap between sibo and candida symptoms. Everyone focuses on candida and can’t seem to cure it, but never tries to treat or get tested for sibo, which can also be very hard to treat and has about a 50 percent relapse rate. I didnt understand how underdiagnosed sibo is, and western medicine is finally slowly catching on. Of course the key is to get to the root cause and not try and just put a band aid on all the symptoms like most doctors want to do.

Interesting point on probiotics. I read on several occasions of people claiming sibo from probiotics because of slow motility. I already know I have slow motility via a camera capsule. I was taking lots of probiotics thinking it would help my recovery, but I may have just been making things worse. Still trying to chase down my root cause, but doctors dont want people taking probiotics if they have sibo, but an enema would seem like a way around that.

Did you have any luck with the turpentine?

Bayside
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

Did you get your breath test results back to confirm the SIBO?

Road2Recovery
    Participant

Should have them back this week. I will post whether its positive or negative.

The doctor told me the test doesnt have the highest accuracy and can get false negatives. He treats based on symptoms, bloating after carbs or sugar is a key one he looks for. I assume the test results will be the deciding factor on whether he loads me up on antibiotics or not and which type based on the type of gas.

Regardless, I will be treating for it with at least supplements for 3 months and possibly doing some small antifungal alongside. I read a research article that up to 20 percent of people with sibo have a candida overgrowth as well. I finished a 3 month very intensive candida protocol a month ago, so i shouldnt have too many problems there. I didnt notice much change, the only thing that helped were the enemas and thats because of all the food sensitivities that i have developed.

Bayside
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 2

Yeah, keep us updated. My FD just mentioned myself being tested for it.

I have been doing the diet for about a month, Nystatin for two weeks along with enemas (both saline and nystatin retentions). Lots of white stuff coming out. I started the treatment after my IgM blood test came back high for Candida.

My symptoms started directly after a month course of antibiotics.

-Post Nasal Drip Everyday
    -Gluten, Egg and Dairy sensitivities
    -Anxiety
    -Eye Floaters
    -Joint popping

I am wondering if I have something in addition to the Candida.

Hope you find the answers you’re seeking. I’ll be following your posts and trying to chime in when I can.

zeldazoo22
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 10

Awesome post. Do you only react with sugary foods, or many foods? I feel as though often times, it doesn’t matter what foods I eat, and that I’ll have bloating, fatigue and brain fog after I plenty of meals. Because of this my ND thinks I have leaky gut, and yes possibly SIBO. He put me on Megaspore biotic, and Megamucosa, both from the same company. I’m going to be continuing my candida protocol and adding in other natural antifungals on top of my Nystatin. I may try the Atrantil though that you recommend.

Road2Recovery
    Participant

Awesome post. Do you only react with sugary foods, or many foods? I feel as though often times, it doesn’t matter what foods I eat, and that I’ll have bloating, fatigue and brain fog after I plenty of meals. Because of this my ND thinks I have leaky gut, and yes possibly SIBO. He put me on Megaspore biotic, and Megamucosa, both from the same company. I’m going to be continuing my candida protocol and adding in other natural antifungals on top of my Nystatin. I may try the Atrantil though that you recommend.

No, I react to almost everything. I eat lean meats, salads, and non starchy vegetables. I most likely have intestinal permeability after falling off my super strict diet and ignoring inflammation problems for quite a while.

There is a good chance you do as well. You have to find out what foods cause your inflammation. Its carbs and sugars that trigger the majority of problems, but some people have specific foods beyond that. You can take all the supplements in the world, but your body will not be able to heal until you get rid of the chronic inflammation.

Road2Recovery
    Participant

Yeah, keep us updated. My FD just mentioned myself being tested for it.
    I have been doing the diet for about a month, Nystatin for two weeks along with enemas (both saline and nystatin retentions). Lots of white stuff coming out. I started the treatment after my IgM blood test came back high for Candida.
    My symptoms started directly after a month course of antibiotics.
    -Post Nasal Drip Everyday
    -Gluten, Egg and Dairy sensitivities
    -Anxiety
    -Eye Floaters
    -Joint popping
    I am wondering if I have something in addition to the Candida.
    Hope you find the answers you’re seeking. I’ll be following your posts and trying to chime in when I can.

I did the nystatin enema protocol. Also took diflucan, sf722, and caprylic acid.

My breath test results came back. Doctor said my baseline is elevated with methane and increases overtime as well. He suspects I have a methane archaeal bloom. Said to continue on my current protocol for two months and then follow back up with him.

I found an interesting article online with a some more information. http://www.dharmaworks.net/Tim/wait-methane-may-not-sibo/

1 user thanked author for this post.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I’m sorry you had such a bad long experience fighting this. I try to explain to everyone in the past that candida isn’t the only thing that is wrong with most people and its often an inter-related more complex health problem that is greater than yeast itself. I wish I could spend a bunch of time on here and help people but I just got burned out on it and I am no expert. I might even consider a SIBO test myself eventually. I don’t like the idea of using antibiotics to treat health problems but do what you got to do. My ND said SIBO is much harder to treat than yeast.

Road2Recovery
    Participant

I’m sorry you had such a bad long experience fighting this. I try to explain to everyone in the past that candida isn’t the only thing that is wrong with most people and its often an inter-related more complex health problem that is greater than yeast itself. I wish I could spend a bunch of time on here and help people but I just got burned out on it and I am no expert. I might even consider a SIBO test myself eventually. I don’t like the idea of using antibiotics to treat health problems but do what you got to do. My ND said SIBO is much harder to treat than yeast.

Thanks Raster, over the years of dealing with this I’ve learned a lot about my body and how to manage. I feel good for the most part, but its the “Ground Hog Day” diet that I would eventually like to overcome and also gain back a decent social life. I count my blessings though, no matter how bad you think you have it, someone out there has it way worse.

It’s good to see you back on here, I’ve read a lot of your posts and you provide a lot of informative information. Yeast is over hyped in my opinion and while I do think its an issue in some people, I just dont think its general the main cause. Western Medicine is catching on to SIBO, but there is still a lot of research needed in this area. There is hope though, There is a statin drug called syn-10 that is in clinical trial for curing SIBO. It stays within the digestive system and disrupts the methane cycle in order to eradicate the bad bacteria from my understanding. Basically the same thing my Gastro created a supplement for. He said Quebracho disrupts the methane cycle.

My Doctor was positive about treatment for SIBO, but after looking online, it looks like hell to treat for. I’ve seen a lot of people improve greatly, but never get back to completely normal and theres always a worry about relapse whether it be through a virus or antibiotics. My first round of rifaxin worked very well, but I relapsed after about 90 days, which about half the people do. This most likely means I have an underlying cause to this, whether its slow motility, problems with my migrating motor complex, etc. There is nothing quick about curing this, but at least I can focus my attention to treating something. The worst feeling is being sick and not having a clue about whats going on with your body.

Acqwan
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Over forty years ago, when in my twenties, I saw doctors for extreme tiredness. They all said there was nothing wrong with me. Discovered I felt better w/o milk (still ate cheese). Next to go was red meat, especially all restaurant meats. Which meant a diet high in breads, etc. not completely w/o veggies and fruits, but not loads of them either. Eventually had health episode which I considered to be first signs of ms. Got serious about diet changes. Started with info from Roger McDougall My Fight Against MS. (Good for his time, but a lot, especially food, has changed since then.) Did not give up coffee and tea….but gradually improved, until I didn’t. Have had white coating on my tongue at least since my thirties. So, obviously for many years I have been sensitive to foods, but always thought it was because my spleen was removed (also in my twenties).

Got real serious this last year and finally quit coffee, all tea, (this made a huge difference for me, even though I had reduced coffee to one cup a day, even without tea). I eat mostly cruciferous veggies, lettuces, onion, garlic, have added in grass fed meat, some fish and most recently eggs, went mostly vegetarian for years. One thing I have found is when I do something that quickly reduces the level of infection in my body, I also run out and eat the stuff I know I react to.

I have found a lot of helpful advice on this site. Especially the idea of small amounts of coconut oil throughout the day. I tend to get lax but then keep going back to staples coconut oil, acv, cod liver oil (used Weston A. Price recommendation list to choose a product), magnesium, a zinc orotate, currently 10mg, occasional use of oregano oil for short periods (am thinking of using one week per month), am increasing herbs gradually. When I get tired of something or it does not appeal to me, I take a break from it. Have restricted use of probiotics to only those that list the strains where I can find research that states the benefits.

My current theory is that while infection may show up in one place or other, it exists throughout the body. The “discovery” of a new organ, a matrix that exists throughout the body fits with my experiences of foods.
    I believe it is also a case of balancing. I think back to my parents and grandparents. There was a seasonal aspect to the foods available. So, not by design, but by necessity their diets varied by season. This in my mind would keep changing the bacteria, etc., that were able to survive in their intestines. In general, I think it is advantageous to cycle through a lot of things, such as probiotics, or supplements as well as foods as there are no magic bullets. If it is more about balance, then it is good to freak out whatever is living in your gut every now and then, so nothing has too much of a chance to take over. Over time, the appeal of foods that I react strongly to has waned, so it is much easier to avoid them than when I began.

I just wanted to write something to say that many ideas on this forum have helped me, especially Raster’s and Able’s comments. I find it more helpful to read actual people experiences than the one size fits all recommendations that are out there. Also, to reinforce that for me, as Roger McDougall wrote, improvement is experienced in inches. It may be a few steps forward, then back, but the inches add up over time.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.