Misc food and other questions

Home The Candida Forum Candida Advice Misc food and other questions

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Ms T 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Ms T
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 22

Hi there.

I read the stricter version of the diet and also the recommended bulletin on fish safety. Still have a few questions:

1. Are sardines canned in oil okay? I know they are lower on the food chain then larger fish, so they contain less mercury but I wonder if the canning process adds something that feeds Candida. I hope sardines are okay because they are such an easy, convenient source of protein and Omega 3s.

B. Can I eat plain goat’s milk yogurt instead of Greek yogurt? I much prefer the taste of Goat’s milk. Right now the thought of eating even Greek yogurt makes me queasy. I also like goat’s milk kefir and don’t have the ability to make homemade kefir and yogurt right now.

iii. Chia seeds are a no-no, right?

4. Soap. I don’t have a skin rash, but I do have chronic BV and occasional athlete’s foot, and I wonder if it’s a good idea to switch soaps. I’ve used an oatmeal soap for years and, of course, there probably isn’t any other soap that could better feed Candida – lol. Does soap feed Candida? If so, what do you look for in a soap? Is there a recommended soap?

e. Any tips for those of us who are forced to eat out a lot? Can you even do the strict diet if that’s the position you are in?

Thanks so much!!
    Tova

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

1. Are sardines canned in oil okay? I know they are lower on the food chain then larger fish, so they contain less mercury but I wonder if the canning process adds something that feeds Candida. I hope sardines are okay because they are such an easy, convenient source of protein and Omega 3s.

If you’re going to purchase the sardines from a supermarket, your safest bet would be sardines packed in water. VitalChoice has the safest fish on the market. http://www.vitalchoice.com/shop/pc/viewCategories.asp?pageStyle=h&idCategory=223
    B. Can I eat plain goat’s milk yogurt instead of Greek yogurt? I much prefer the taste of Goat’s milk. Right now the thought of eating even Greek yogurt makes me queasy. I also like goat’s milk kefir and don’t have the ability to make homemade kefir and yogurt right now.
    Goat’s milk yogurt or kefir should be just fine.

iii. Chia seeds are a no-no, right?

I deliberately left nuts off the diet because of several negative reactions I myself received from various types of nuts each time I tried them. Every time I tested them, I experienced Candida-like symptoms; in other words, my Candida always grew worse within several hours of eating them. This can only mean that nuts are in some way beneficial to the Candida. If anyone insists on eating nuts during the treatment, I would advise to test them first before eating more than a few and to purchase only organic nuts. However, I would still expect problems from them, if not soon after eating them, certainly in the long run. Also, if you will roast the nuts first, this would probably present less of a problematic situation.

4. Soap. I don’t have a skin rash, but I do have chronic BV and occasional athlete’s foot, and I wonder if it’s a good idea to switch soaps. I’ve used an oatmeal soap for years and, of course, there probably isn’t any other soap that could better feed Candida – lol. Does soap feed Candida? If so, what do you look for in a soap? Is there a recommended soap?

Goat’s milk soap; the pH balance is closer to that of human skin than any other soap, plus, it contains no chemicals or other harmful additives

e. Any tips for those of us who are forced to eat out a lot? Can you even do the strict diet if that’s the position you are in?

Yes, I know you can do the strict diet while eating out because I was forced to do this often. I was often in the predicament of having to eat out because of traveling and business meetings. I found that the best I could do was to always try to eat at restaurants which had a salad bar and hoped that they would supply me with boiled eggs as well.

Excellent questions.
    Able

Ms T
    Topics: 11
    Replies: 22

Thanks so much for the reply, Able, as well as for all else that you do.

Because it’s going to be pretty near impossible for me to make yogurt and kefir at home, I’ve started reading the labels of commercial products more closely. I was eating goat’s milk yogurt and kefir, but I see that both have pectin, which is a polysaccharide. I’m guessing that’s a problem, right?

I did not eat the Greek yogurt because it’s so creamy that right now the thought of it makes me sick. Maybe it’s the amount of casein in it, because I know goat’s milk has the same amount of lactose as cow’s milk.

I think I can start eating Greek yogurt again slowly, if that’s really the best option. However, today, I found a commercial goat’s milk yogurt and another kefir that do not contain pectin. Am I right in looking to eliminate pectin from the commercial products I ingest? Of course, I have been buying the plain goat’s milk yogurt without fruit, honey, or sugar.

Some others things occurred to me and figure that I will just add them here rather than post yet another “questions” post.

My first new question is about how to gauge the severity of a food reation, ie, what constitutes an allergic reaction to food?

For example, I have been thinking that burping a lot after eating something is an allergic reaction but perhaps not as severe as feeling nauseous. Still, I think that in the early phases of the diet, this is probably enough to indicate that one should hold off on eating the food that’s causing the burps….Do you rank reactions to food or, in the early stages, is any reaction severe enough to exclude until a later time?

Second, this may sound paranoid, but I don’t think I am alone in considering the water supply — ie, tap water. Here, in DC, if the downstairs toilet goes unused and uncleaned for a week, mold starts to develop. I also see mold in the showers developing very quickly despite my efforts to clean religiously. This was not the case when I lived in San Francisco….

Is there something in the water treatment method that causes increased mold in some areas — some chemical or lack thereof? Is it best to drink bottled spring water?

Thank you again!!

T

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Misc food and other questions’ is closed to new replies.