Milk Thistle Dosage

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Milk Thistle Dosage

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Ket 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

pattie s.
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 8

We have purchased NOW Foods Silymarin/Milk Thistle Extract 2X – 300Mg from the Candida Store and are unable to find dosage instructions on the forum. Can anyone give a recommendation for us? She is suffering terribly from toxicity from severe die-off and we are afraid of the damage her liver has suffered.

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

oh wow i havent been taking enough at all i guess ill up my dose then

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

To cleanse and protect the liver as well as for liver damage from the Candida toxin, aldehyde, the recommended dose of milk thistle is 420 mg/day containing at least 70-80% silymarin. Silymarin is a flvonoid that is extracted from the seeds of milk thistle and is the beneficial part of the herb.

The highest amount recommended is 560 mg/day for 16 days; after 16 days the dose can be reduced to 430 mg a day. This amount is recommended for intrahepatic cholestasis treatment, but the same amount could be taken if severe liver damage is suspected. The dose you decide to take should be spread out over approximately a 16 hour period.

At these doses, the herb will bind with as well as coat the liver cells, and the photochemical properties can heal any previous liver damage as well as protect the liver from future damage. The silymarin shields the liver from toxic substances. This flavonoid also encourages the liver to grow new cells. Milk thistle capsules can be taken throughout your treatment

As with all herbs, an allergic reaction to milk thistle is possible. In this case your body mistakes silymarin, the flavonoid contained within milk thistle, for a harmful toxin and raises histamine levels in an attempt to destroy it. An allergic reaction could possibly cause hives or persistent itching, and in more serious cases, swelling of the face, neck and throat; difficulty breathing and heart palpitations are rarer but still a possibility. For these reasons, you should start with the lowest dose possible and work up to the higher dose.

Able

eskimo_pup
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 78

Good lord well i’ve been taking one 600mg tablet 4-6 times a day! Just following the instructions on the bottle though and it says 24mg silymarin [3-5%] so i think its ok.

Ket
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 4

Hello,

I’m reviving this old thread cause I’m kind of confused with the recommended dosage of milk thistle for the die-off symptoms.

Most of the market products I found are capsules of 400mg to 8000mg. So, do I have to open the capsule and divide the powder to smaller quantities throughout the day? For example, open a 400mg capsule and intake half in the morning and half after 16hours?

Also how can I take the powder? Is it alright to mix it with food? Does it taste horrible?

I couldn’t find any info about the correct usage and I’d like to be sure before I go on and purchase the product. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I’d take just 1-2 capsules per day at 400mg.

-raster

Wiley200
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 386

eskimo_pup;37137 wrote: Good lord well i’ve been taking one 600mg tablet 4-6 times a day! Just following the instructions on the bottle though and it says 24mg silymarin [3-5%] so i think its ok.

Is it this one?
    http://www.nowfoods.com/Silymarin-2X-300mg-100-Veg-Capsules.htm

It’s actually standardized to 80% silymarin

Ket

raster;49910 wrote: I’d take just 1-2 capsules per day at 400mg.

-raster

But that would be more than the suggested 420mg/day or the highest amount recommended 560 mg/day.

Wiley200
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 386

It looks like each of those capsules contains 300mg of milk thistle extract. So taking 1-3 capsules per day should be fine.

Ket

First of all I’d like to thank everyone for their help and suggestions. However I’m still a bit confused on which is the recommended daily dosage. People posting here have given different dosages.

Able900 suggests 420-560mg/day spread over 16hours

raster suggest 400-800/day (1-2 400mg capsules/day)

Wiley200 suggests 300-900mg/day (1-3 300mg capsules/day)

I guess it is not so important and one can take around 500mg/day.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Milk Thistle Dosage’ is closed to new replies.