Milk Kefir Grains & Light Coconut Milk

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Milk Kefir Grains & Light Coconut Milk

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  blakek89 6 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Catalina
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 14

Good Afternoon,

I have two questions I hope someone can answer.

After making milk kefir for several months I have way too many kefir grains. Are we allowed to eat them? I know they eat the sugar from the milk during the fermentation process so I was wondering if I would somehow end up eating the sugar by eating them?

I was hoping to add coconut milk to my diet in April since it will be my 6th month on the diet. I purchased the Trader Joe’s Light Coconut Milk. The ingredients are coconut milk and water. But under the nutrition facts it says it has 2g of sugar. Is this a suitable coconut milk or is there one someone could recommend with 0g of sugar?

Thank you so much!
    Catalina

Catalina

Able or Raster, what are your thoughts? Thanks so much. 🙂

*Catalina

blakek89
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 186

Catalina wrote: Good Afternoon,

I have two questions I hope someone can answer.

After making milk kefir for several months I have way too many kefir grains. Are we allowed to eat them? I know they eat the sugar from the milk during the fermentation process so I was wondering if I would somehow end up eating the sugar by eating them?

I was hoping to add coconut milk to my diet in April since it will be my 6th month on the diet. I purchased the Trader Joe’s Light Coconut Milk. The ingredients are coconut milk and water. But under the nutrition facts it says it has 2g of sugar. Is this a suitable coconut milk or is there one someone could recommend with 0g of sugar?

Thank you so much!
    Catalina

I would say it is Okay, I have seen posts from other members that have eaten the grains. This may help you out http://www.livestrong.com/article/276672-how-to-eat-kefir-grains/
    The sugar is so minimal I would not be worried, the benefit of the bio-diversity of the bacteria and yeast far out weight the small amounts of sugar present even if there is any.

It is something that I have been drinking since day one of the diet, How much were you planning on drinking?

Catalina

Thank you for your advise blakek89. I read on other sites that people eat the grains but I wasn’t sure if it was safe on our diet. That link was very helpful. Thank you.

I wasn’t sure how much coconut milk was appropriate. I was thinking maybe a cup a week. A little to make pancakes or coconut bread. How much do you drink? What coconut milk do you use?

blakek89
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 186

Catalina wrote: Thank you for your advise blakek89. I read on other sites that people eat the grains but I wasn’t sure if it was safe on our diet. That link was very helpful. Thank you.

I wasn’t sure how much coconut milk was appropriate. I was thinking maybe a cup a week. A little to make pancakes or coconut bread. How much do you drink? What coconut milk do you use?

I don’t think there would be any problem with that amount. It is quite calorically dense so it is good for the diet to not lose weight. I drink a brand called So Delicious Unsweetened 0g sugar 1g fibre, it tastes very different then regular canned coconut milk. The coconut milk contains much more water, similar to skim milk.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Milk Kefir Grains & Light Coconut Milk’ is closed to new replies.