Milk

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Diane 7 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Research, dateline: July 7, 2011
    Up to 20 Different Chemicals in One Glass of Milk

A regular glass of milk can contain a cocktail of up to 20 different painkillers, antibiotics and growth hormones, scientists have shown.

Using a highly sensitive test, they found a host of chemicals used to treat illnesses in animals and people in samples of cow, goat and human breast milk.

Their breakdown, published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, revealed that cow’s milk contained traces of the anti-inflammatory drugs niflumic acid, mefenamic acid and ketoprofen – all commonly used as painkillers in animals and people.

It also contained the hormone 17-beta-estradiol, a form of the sex hormone estrogen. The scientists, led by Dr Evaristo Ballesteros say their technique could be used to check the safety of other types of food.

As a side note, last year Portsmouth University scientists found that some US fish were being contaminated with the anti-depressant Prozac. The drug enters rivers from the sewer system and tinkers with the brain chemistry of fish, the researchers claimed.

The Perfect Substitute for cow’s milk: 8 oz. of unsweetened almond milk contains about 30-40 calories. Almond milk does not contain cholesterol or saturated fats. Besides proteins, almond milk also contains omega fatty acids as well as selenium which aids the functioning of the immune system, reproduction and metabolism of the thyroid gland. And most importantly, it contains no antibiotics, hormones, or pain killers.

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

Thanks for that – very interesting. In line with everything else I’ve been reading about milk recently.

What’s the census on soya milk and rice milk Able, do you know??

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Organic cow’s milk would cover many, if not all, of these bases as well. The extra hormone (like estrogen) is given to help the cows breed and/or produce more milk. Hormones, antibiotics, and chemicals of any sort are not used in organic milk production. As I understand it, if an animal needs medical treatment, i.e. pain killers, antibiotics, her milk cannot be sold as “organic” for a specified period of time. Of course, you’d want to make sure your milk was certified and also from a reliable, organic source.

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

And it’s still cheaper per gallon than rice or almond milk – with more protein 😉

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hope wrote: Organic cow’s milk would cover many, if not all, of these bases as well. The extra hormone (like estrogen) is given to help the cows breed and/or produce more milk. Hormones, antibiotics, and chemicals of any sort are not used in organic milk production. As I understand it, if an animal needs medical treatment, i.e. pain killers, antibiotics, her milk cannot be sold as “organic” for a specified period of time. Of course, you’d want to make sure your milk was certified and also from a reliable, organic source.

http://www.worldhealth.net/news/evidence_strongly_links_milk_protein_to_/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/257495-casein-protein-dangers/

Every 8-ounce glass of 2% reduced fat milk contains 20mg of cholesterol.
    Almond milk is cholesterol-free.

Katy: I wouldn’t want to drink soy milk while there was still a question about Candida in the system. Actually, I wouldn’t drink it regardless of Candida since somehow I find it very distasteful.

Not so sure about rice milk, it has a glycemic index of 85. To make a comparison of that number, the glycemic index of a serving of mashed potatoes is 80. It’s still just another starch to me, and having so many choices without starches, I just leave them alone. But that’s just me, and I guess I just like the taste of almond milk.

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

Thanks Able. No worries I wasn’t asking to see if I can have them – just generally interested as I’ve been reading a lot about how milk isn’t good for you and a lot of conflicting reports on soya milk so I was wondering if you knew more.. Preparing for when I’m off the diet but remaining healthy :).

Unfortunately I can’t find pure almond milk here – anyone know how to make it?

NeekyNoo
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 46

Hi Katy,

Almond milk is very easy to make.
    I soak 1/2 cup almonds overnight then blend them with 2 cups water. I have a nut milk bag which I then strain it through, but it can be done through some muslin cloth. That’s it, you have a pint of milk 🙂

I love making crackers with the leftover pulp, so nothing is wasted. I add soaked/ground flaxseed (between 1/4 & 1/2 cup) and then coconut & carob powder / herbs, veggies & seasoning. Spread out on a non stick baking sheet and dry it out / cook it in the oven.
    I think these are what have kept me going on the diet, I love them. They’re great with hummus.

Kenny619
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

i think milk is a best nutrition for everyone so we should always drink milk

Diane
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 73

Kenny619 wrote: i think milk is a best nutrition for everyone so we should always drink milk

It depends on which sort of milk Kenny, which type are you talking about, if its cow then I think that you need to do some research.
    Candida or not milk is not good for anyone, especially if its not organic. Please base your advice on research and facts, people are trying to get well here

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Milk’ is closed to new replies.