MIGHT NOT BE CANDIDA…

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions MIGHT NOT BE CANDIDA…

This topic contains 10 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Laurie210 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

gettinhealthy
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 9

Hi all,

I have been a member of this site for a while, but I haven’t been following the extreme diet after doing it for 2 weeks. If you actually do have Candida overgrowth (or any other kind of parasite), then the diet would very well be beneficial. But are you POSITIVE you have Candida? The diet can be incredibly hard to do, and if you find out you don’t actually have candida, it feels like you wasted time once you find out you didn’t even have to go through it all.

I have dealt with fatigue and a range of other symptoms for a few years. My doctor was of no help whatsoever. I researched everything, and tried everything, and I got rid of a bunch of symptoms. But not the fatigue.

What I have found in my research is that the symptoms for Candida overgrowth, parasite overgrowth, adrenal fatigue, hypothyroid, Celiac disease, Lymes disease, hashimotos, and a few other types of issues can cause pretty much all the same type of symptoms, while two individuals with the same problem can have totally different symptoms.

So how could you diagnose yourself when everything seems so similar? That’s what I asked myself after diagnosing myself with adrenal fatigue and Candida overgrowth, and after following the program for over a year and getting no results.

I was right: 99% of the time you cannot diagnose yourself correctly. Sure, you can play trial and error with your health for decades to try to find the answer, but in the long run, you are just playing games while your life floats by. I absolutely do not discourage anyone from trying to find answers, and if you have been able to cure yourself by doing this, then I am very happy for you! But for me, I couldn’t just sit by and wait and wait and wait and wait, never knowing for sure whether or not I was doing the right thing.

Here are my recommended steps to finding the answer to your health issues:

1. Find a good Natural Holistic Doctor, who will actually sit down and listen to you, who will ask good questions, and will go over your medical history with care. I have found a very good Holistic doctor near me, who has been helping me more than I ever thought possible. These doctors don’t just hear “headache….fatigue…” and give you medication. They take all your symptoms seriously, get down to the root of the problem and treat it, instead of treating just your symptoms.

2. Follow all instructions from your doctor. If they tell you to go on a certain diet and take certain supplements, then go on the diet and take the supplements. These doctors don’t work with “magic pills” that don’t even work. You actually have to do something yourself to get some results.

These are a few tests I recommend:

1. The more complex thyroid test. This tests not only your T4, but also your T3 and TSH thyroid hormone levels. Conventional doctors will test for only your T4, but you actually need the levels of all three to get a good diagnosis about your thyroid.

2. Get a gastrointestinal stool test using DNA Analysis. If you have any symptoms for candida, then this is the test to take. It will not only show you whether or not you have candida overgrowth, but also other parasites, your good bacteria levels, any absorption issues, your secretory IgA levels, inflammation, whether or not your pancreas is making enzymes, your stomach acidity levels, etc.

3. Complete iron levels test. This tests not only the free iron floating around, but also your ferritin levels, which reflects the amount of iron stored.

4. Vitamins B and D levels.

5. Lymes disease test.

I am not a doctor, but from working with my doctor (who explains everything in detail), and doing research, taking these tests only make sense. Now if you can find a Naturopathic Holistic doctor, then they will be able to work with you on your symptoms and help decide exactly what test to do and whatnot.

I also recommend eating a good diet of vegetables, whole fruits, and protein. No sugar or refined grains. No crap food (like fast-food junk, chips, etc.). Drink water and tea, not pop or caffeinated drinks. And if you know you have low iron levels, D levels, thyroid issues, or any type of digestion problems, then definitely STAY AWAY from GLUTEN and WHEAT.

I have done all of the tests above. My:
    -B and D levels were good.
    -Ferritin a little low. Started on an iron supplement.
    -Lymes test came back negative.
    -Thyroid levels were borderline low, and thus I have been strict gluten free. (I hadn’t been eating wheat before as I was eating no grains, but I am now very careful about gluten getting into my food.)
    Just got my test results back from the gastrointestinal (GI) test, and note worthy results are thus:
    -Good gut bacteria and flora are very low. I am now on a good probiotic.
    -No parasites, but yeast could be lower. Nothing significant here. (I was like, “what???” when I heard this. Yay!)
    -Gut acidity is low. Am now taking Betaine HCI with every meal.
    -Pancreas is putting out a very low amount of enzymes. My level is at 160 when it should be 500 or higher. I am now taking enzymes with every meal.

So here’s the gist of it all, as was explained to me by my doctor:
    -My good gut bacteria is low, which could be because of a number of reasons: some are born like this, could be caused by an abundance of antibiotics (I had many of when I was younger,) not good diet. There were other possible reasons as well, but my mind has gone blank…

-Because I have a very low amount of good gut bacteria, this screws up the message my pancreas should get. Therefore my pancreas is not putting out the enzymes my body needs to absorb nutrients and whatever else I need to create energy. Obviously I am alive, so some is getting absorbed, but nowhere near enough to give me a normal life.

Within a month I should notice a big difference in my energy level. I am so excited, happy, elated, so overcome with joy at FINALLY GETTING ANSWERS, I could cry!!! I have never wanted anything more in my life than energy, to feel good, and actually be able to exercise and get out! (You will never know how much you could miss exercising until you can’t do it anymore!)

So I know this forum is for those who have candida overgrowth, but from reading posts from other people, I see that so many do not actually know whether or not they have it and are just doing the diet and lifestyle based off symptoms. I thought I had candida. I do not however, and I see that it only makes sense to treat yourself for what you actually have, rather than what you think you have. If I hadn’t found my doctor and taken those tests, I would probably still be doing the diet and would never get anywhere! So I encourage everyone: find yourself a Naturopathic Holistic doctor, get real answers, and I promise you will find yourself on a good path toward health! Your life is too precious to waste waiting around for something that might not come. And if your doctor does confirm your suspicions about candida, then this is a great place to be, and a good diet to follow.

Thanks for reading if you have actually made it to the end!

To Your Health,
    Linnaia

gettinhealthy

Here is an interesting post on Betaine HCI for gut acitity:

http://scdlifestyle.com/2012/03/how-to-supplement-with-betaine-hcl-for-low-stomach-acid/

Did you know that “stomach acid is a key component of our immune system that is needed to kill off any potential pathogenic bugs in our food. If the acid levels aren’t strong enough, besides not properly sterilizing our food, the stomach could delay emptying causing a multitude of digestive problems.”

One more reason why you may think you have candida, when all you need is a correct balance of stomach acid!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I totally agree. Some of the one’s you didn’t include that are worth mentioning is h.pylori and SIBO (small intestine bacteria overgrowth). Healing holistically is a good approach and not everyone can afford this unfortunately. The reality is we all likely have many things going on at different ends of the scale, which I call our own “version” of candida. What it should really be called (in my opinion) is a “general health problem” instead of candida because it effects so many parts of the body at different degrees. Our guts are becoming imbalanced by antibiotics and all of the gmo food in the world.

-raster

moochpb
    Topics: 112
    Replies: 688

Sibo’s treatment and Candida treatment as what I have been doing are quite similar. Does anyone know the difference of treatment? I have a little too much yeast but a lot of bad bacteria. I m on antifungals and probiotics

Kag
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 402

I think the key is here, that a lot of us have had all the traditional tests and nothing showed up. I can think back over my life now and remember times where certain foods seemed to make things worse, in a yeast infection way, like eating too much white bread. I had yeast infections starting when I was 12. I believe that I have always had a predisposition to this and the doctor’s have ruled out almost everything else that you can rule out. I was even tested at one time for MS! So scary!

I think it is a good idea though, if you can afford it, to have tests run. I congratulate you on figuring out a solution for your problem!

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

From what I have learned through my research there is no reliable test for Candida.

I have had the GI test it came back with a very tiny amount of Candida “nothing out of the normal” the naturopath said.

Oh! Man! was I relieved! I don’t have to do that horrible Candida diet.

Well, FF to a year later and here I am. I don’t think you can depend on these tests. I do think if you suspect that you have Candida then try the diet if you don’t experience die off then you can cross that one off your list.

alexinlondon
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 21

I’d read somewhere the stool tests in general were not accurate. Does anyone have any recommendation on blood tests?

I have been thinking of investing in a few tests just really to rule other things out and to check a few of the things mentioned here.

I hadn’t heard of naturopath before I came here, I don’t think they are popular in the UK? Is anyone UK based and has a recommendation where to go for tests / help?

Alex

alexinlondon
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 21

Anyone tried this – http://www.stopyeast.com/candida-antigen-blood-panel.html

Also, does anyone know of a good list of potential blood tests to take (if deciding to invest?)

Alex

LeilaP
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 18

Hi Alex,

I have used them http://www.candidatest.co.uk/ for testing. Was really pleased with their services. They do stool test + saliva test, they test your gut immune system, leaky gut, parasites and candida. I think it was pretty accurate.

gettinhealthy

I think it is a good idea though, if you can afford it, to have tests run. I congratulate you on figuring out a solution for your problem!

Thanks Kag! Good luck in getting rid of your yeast!

I’d read somewhere the stool tests in general were not accurate. Does anyone have any recommendation on blood tests?

Hi Alex, most stool tests in general are probably not accurate, which is why my doctor uses the most comprehensive versions available: “GI Effects is unlike any other stool analysis profile, going beyond the standard parameters for identifying gastrointestinal disorders.
    The GI Effects Profile uses DNA analysis to identify microbiota including anaerobes, a previously immeasurable area of the gut environment. DNA assessment is highly accurate and reports results as specific numbers.”

From what I have learned through my research there is no reliable test for Candida.

I have had the GI test it came back with a very tiny amount of Candida “nothing out of the normal” the naturopath said.

Oh! Man! was I relieved! I don’t have to do that horrible Candida diet.

Well, FF to a year later and here I am. I don’t think you can depend on these tests. I do think if you suspect that you have Candida then try the diet if you don’t experience die off then you can cross that one off your list.

Mrs. candida,
    That has got to be so frustrating! My naturopath said that my test came back with slightly elevated levels of yeast, but by reviewing my symptoms we decided to just boost my good bacteria, fix my acidity level, and start on the enzymes. I used to have many of the yeast overgrowth symptoms, but now it is all basically fatigue. As for your doc, ou would think that they should know that the candida test isn’t always that accurate, and take your symptoms into account if nothing else was showing up in the test…

Laurie210
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 5

Where do you live and who is your doctor? I think finding a doctor to do this test is my problem right now. Any info would be appreciated.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘MIGHT NOT BE CANDIDA…’ is closed to new replies.