Message for those with Hypothyroidism

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Message for those with Hypothyroidism

This topic contains 15 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  blakek89 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

NewDay
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 25

Hi all,

Just came accross this in a reading and I thought I would share.

“You should avoid millet flour if you have hypothyroidism. It has been shown to slightly impair thyroid production, especially if you have more than a couple of servings a day.”

Becca

Marbro
    Replies: 252

thanks for sharing this.

I am having a conversation with another member here about thyroid issues here
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst2644p2_Seborrheic-Dermatitis.aspx.
    Your experience with this issue might be nice to hear.

looking at the symptoms of Hyperthyroidism, there are a lot of simularities with Caandida and die off.

Here are some.

Difficulty concentrating

Fatigue

Frequent bowel movements

Goiter (visibly enlarged thyroid gland) or thyroid nodules

Heat intolerance

Increased appetite

Increased sweating

Irregular menstrual periods in women

Nervousness

Restlessness

Weight loss (rarely, weight gain)

It certainly something folks should get checked out

NewDay

Yes and it is also similar to hypothyroidism with hairloss, dry skin, depression, fatigue, brain fog…

Another point to be made is that people with hypothyroidism as well as IBS are more prone to Candida. Unfortunately the symptoms of all 3 are similar. I have all 3!

Marbro
    Replies: 252

NewDay wrote: Yes and it is also similar to hypothyroidism with hairloss, dry skin, depression, fatigue, brain fog…

Another point to be made is that people with hypothyroidism as well as IBS are more prone to Candida. Unfortunately the symptoms of all 3 are similar. I have all 3!

what are you taking for your hypothyroidism?

blakek89
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 186

NewDay wrote: Hi all,

“You should avoid millet flour if you have hypothyroidism. It has been shown to slightly impair thyroid production, especially if you have more than a couple of servings a day.”

Becca

Here is a small list of some Goitergens foods

Cruciferous vegetables including:
    Broccoli
    Brussel sprouts
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Kale
    Kohlrabi
    Mustard
    Rutabaga
    Turnips
    Millet
    Peaches
    Peanuts
    Radishes
    Soybean and soy products, including tofu
    Spinach
    Strawberries

Goitrogens are naturally-occurring substances that can interfere with function of the thyroid gland. Goitrogens get their name from the term “goiter,” which means an enlargement of the thyroid gland. If the thyroid gland is having difficulty making thyroid hormone, it may enlarge as a way of trying to compensate for this inadequate hormone production. “Goitrogens,” like circumstances that cause goiter, cause difficulty for the thyroid in making its hormone.

Also removing Iodine rich foods from your diet will also contribute, such as dairy, sea veggies like sea weed or kelp, berries, and more.

Also Selenium, Zinc, & Tyrosine are all major players in a hormone deficiency.

NewDay

Marbro wrote:

Yes and it is also similar to hypothyroidism with hairloss, dry skin, depression, fatigue, brain fog…

what are you taking for your hypothyroidism?

I am taking synthroid. Have been for 14 years.

NewDay

blakek89 wrote:

Hi all,

Becca

Here is a small list of some Goitergens foods

Cruciferous vegetables including:
    Broccoli
    Brussel sprouts
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    Kale
    Kohlrabi
    Mustard
    Rutabaga
    Turnips
    Millet
    Peaches
    Peanuts
    Radishes
    Soybean and soy products, including tofu
    Spinach
    Strawberries

Goitrogens are naturally-occurring substances that can interfere with function of the thyroid gland. Goitrogens get their name from the term “goiter,” which means an enlargement of the thyroid gland. If the thyroid gland is having difficulty making thyroid hormone, it may enlarge as a way of trying to compensate for this inadequate hormone production. “Goitrogens,” like circumstances that cause goiter, cause difficulty for the thyroid in making its hormone.

Also removing Iodine rich foods from your diet will also contribute, such as dairy, sea veggies like sea weed or kelp, berries, and more.

Also Selenium, Zinc, & Tyrosine are all major players in a hormone deficiency.

So this leaves us to eat eggs…lol! Thanks for the runsown of foods to avoid. was aware of the issue with soy and most deep green veggies. It’s the firs I’ve heard of strawberry, peaches and peanuts. Do you know why they are to be avoided? Not that we can eat them at the moment anyway but for information purposes.

An amazing super food to stimulate the thyroid function just so happens to be Coconut Oil!!!At least there is that!

blakek89

The way that goitrogens work is that they inhibit iodine metabolism.  With regards to thyroid health, iodine is important in the formation of thyroid hormone.  As a result, if iodine cannot be properly utilized by the thyroid gland, then the formation of thyroid hormone won’t take place.  As you can imagine, this is not a good thing for someone with hypothyroidism, as they already have problems with the manufacturing of thyroid hormone even without consuming goitrogens.

blakek89

Has synthyroid been working for you? I was just recently diagnosed and my GP wants to do another blood test in 7 weeks to confirm. Did you symptoms subside on the synthetic hormones.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

NewDay wrote: “You should avoid millet flour if you have hypothyroidism. It has been shown to slightly impair thyroid production, especially if you have more than a couple of servings a day.”

Hello, Becca.

Would you mind terribly posting the source of that quote?

Thanks, Able

NewDay

blakek89 wrote: Has synthyroid been working for you? I was just recently diagnosed and my GP wants to do another blood test in 7 weeks to confirm. Did you symptoms subside on the synthetic hormones.

Thanks for the info! Well my test up until 3 years ago have been showing a stable functionnng thryroid. Does that mean that my symptoms went away? Not really. I have always had an intolerance to cold, my hair falls out and I am fatigued. This has never gone away. Since the begining of this candida issue, have been having trouble regulating my thyroid.

Important thing to remember is is that when you get TSH test done, they need to look at both the T4 and T3 levels in order to have a more accurate reading. Some doctors ony look at T4.

NewDay

Able900 wrote:

Hello, Becca.

Thanks, Able

Hi Able,

I was ready this on the fly but I will see if I can locate it.

Becca

NewDay

NewDay wrote:

Hello, Becca.

Thanks, Able

Hi Able,

I was ready this on the fly but I will see if I can locate it.

Becca

Not the article but one them: http://www.eoearth.org/article/Environmental_effects_on_the_thyroid

Shellbell
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 5

Thank you so much for discussing thyroid in relation to candida!!! I have been struggling with both and the following website had great information (including videos and a book) on both:

hopeforhashimotos.com

It is mostly bout hashimotos but has great general information too! I have been on levothyroxine for over two years and I still have all the same effects except just not to the degree of crying about them. I use to hurry to get home to get into bed and cry because I felt so bad. So I feel better but definitely not back to myself. Therefore I searched further and found that I am just treating a symptom with the hormone not the cause!

Best of luck to all and keep sharing:-)
    Shelly

blakek89

Shellbell wrote: Thank you so much for discussing thyroid in relation to candida!!! I have been struggling with both and the following website had great information (including videos and a book) on both:

hopeforhashimotos.com

It is mostly bout hashimotos but has great general information too! I have been on levothyroxine for over two years and I still have all the same effects except just not to the degree of crying about them. I use to hurry to get home to get into bed and cry because I felt so bad. So I feel better but definitely not back to myself. Therefore I searched further and found that I am just treating a symptom with the hormone not the cause!

Best of luck to all and keep sharing:-)
    Shelly

Have you heard of natural thyroid?

It comes either from pork or beef usually pork. The pig genetic makeup is very similar to humans and what they do is grind up the pigs thyroid and put it into a pill form for the patient you then take it throughout the day as if you body is naturally producing hormones. Usually the synthetic medication only helps T3 or T4 depending, but the desiccated or “natural” thyroid contains T1, T2, T3, & T4 which you body is able to fully utilize all the material and use it properly. I have read from many different sites including studies and even MD’s explaining how there patients respond so much better on it vs the synthetic thyroxine that is so commonly prescribed. Natural thyroid is a prescription normally but can be purchased in a smaller dosage online. Another product that might help you more with the energy is Iodine because for the body to make its own thyroid it needs iodine it is a critical step that cannot be avoided so getting blood work to check for deficiency really may help. Also Tyrosine is an amino acid that is essential for proper thyroid function to ensure adequate intake is involved supplementation should be considered. Also selenium is a component of the enzyme that helps convert T4 to T3 peripherally, so deficiencies of selenium may impair thyroid function and promote hypothyroidism. Zinc is involved in the process that converts inactive hormone T4 into active hormone T3. An excess of inactive thyroid hormones in the body can lead to an under active thyroid gland. Copper plays an important role in thyroid metabolism, especially in hormone production and absorption. Copper stimulates the production of the thyroxine hormone (T4), and prevents over-absorption of T4 in the blood cells by controlling the body’s calcium levels.

A product like this could help you out. Maybe bring it up with your GP at your next visit.

http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Thyroid-Energy-Thyroid-Support-90-Vcaps/843?at=0

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Message for those with Hypothyroidism’ is closed to new replies.