Mercury might be my problem as well.

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Mercury might be my problem as well.

This topic contains 23 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  TheChosenOne 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

rogeriorissi
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 13

Hello everyone! I’m battling candida for over 1 year now. I had 1 or 2 months of antibiotics when I was a baby, almost never took probiotics (except some Yakult, rarely), and when I was 20 I got the first symptoms of candida. After 8 years, my body got very inflamed and my vision was blurred. And yes I got all of the other symptoms of candida as well, like brain fog, white tongue, etc. I also got some eye floaters. But my focus here is the mercury, and I need some orientation.

I had 6 amalgam fillings, lots of tuna with bread, and took lots of shots through my life. With my terrible immune system, I probably failed to excrete the mercury. I live in Brazil, and it’s a little difficult to test mercury here. I did a Infrared thermography (IRT) test, but the result is not ready yet. At the same clinic, I got a doctor that chelate mercury with oral DMSA and ALA. So I think I have some luck after all!

My questions are: What should I do? Should I follow ONLY his instructions? What about the other supplements like chlorella, cilantro, MSM, garlic, etc, should I take them WHILE or AFTER taking DMSA? If he says to take both DMSA and ALA at the same time in the BEGINNING of the treatment, should I just do it, or should I take only DMSA for like 3 months and then take both DMSA and ALA?

What do you guys think? Thanks for the future replies!

ThomasJoel2
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 375

rogeriorissi;58806 wrote: Hello everyone! I’m battling candida for over 1 year now. I had 1 or 2 months of antibiotics when I was a baby, almost never took probiotics (except some Yakult, rarely), and when I was 20 I got the first symptoms of candida. After 8 years, my body got very inflamed and my vision was blurred. And yes I got all of the other symptoms of candida as well, like brain fog, white tongue, etc. But my focus here is the mercury, and I need some orientation.

I had 6 amalgam fillings, lots of tuna with bread, and took lots of shots through my life. With my terrible immune system, I probably failed to excrete the mercury. I live in Brazil, and it’s a little difficult to test mercury here. I did a Infrared thermography (IRT) test, but the result is not ready yet. At the same clinic, I got a doctor that chelate mercury with oral DMSA and ALA. So I think I have some luck after all!

My questions are: What should I do? Should I follow ONLY his instructions? What about the other supplements like chlorella, cilantro, MSM, garlic, etc, should I take them WHILE or AFTER taking DMSA? If he says to take both DMSA and ALA at the same time in the BEGINNING of the treatment, should I just do it, or should I take only DMSA for like 3 months and then take both DMSA and ALA?

What do you guys think? Thanks for the future replies!

All of your amalgams have been removed, correct? If so, you can begin chelation at any time. If it has been at least 3 months you could start ALA too if you want. If I were you though I’d try and lower your body burden first with either DMPS or DMSA. Anecdotal evidence suggests that DMPS seems to be better tolerated by those just starting out over DMSA. DMSA can aggravate yeast issues. I’ve been chelating myself with DMPS only for 6 months now and have experienced nothing but continued progress with no significant side effects thus far. Starting out at a low dose like 5mg is something I’d recommend. DMPS typically requires a script, but livingnetwork sells it in their store: http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/chelation-the-andy-cutler-protocol/

Whatever you do, make sure to start at a low dose and take the chelator every so hours according to its half-life. For DMSA that’s every 3-4 hours, for DMPS every 6-8, for ALA every 3 hours. Do several days on (the typical round is 3-4 days) and at least as many days off to recover. If you do better on-round you could extend your rounds some days and see how you do. For me, I’ve found that 5 day rounds are the sweet spot. I’ve been dosing 5mg DMPS every 6 hours.

That’s good that you’ve found a doctor that’s familiar with chelation. I would not follow his instructions blindly, but rather use him/her to oversee the process. If I were you I’d also familiarize yourself with both of Andy Cutler’s books. Definitely avoid chlorella and cilantro. Chlorella is not a true chelator as it only contains one thiol group. This means it will pick up mercury and mobilize it, causing symptoms, but fail to excrete it efficiently. Cilantro contains a double thiol group and is a true chelator, but because it’s half-life and method of action are unknown you will want to avoid that as well. Because it crosses the blood brain barrier use of cilantro can deposit mercury into the brain and cause a worsening of your condition.

rogeriorissi

Thanks for the reply. Are you using ALA? I don’t think DMPS is an option to me, because I would have to order it to Brazil, and I don’t think my doctor knows about it. And btw, I removed my amalgams in the wrong way, but what is done is done I guess lol.

ThomasJoel2
    Participant

rogeriorissi;58809 wrote: Thanks for the reply. Are you using ALA? I don’t think DMPS is an option to me, because I would have to order it to Brazil, and I don’t think my doctor knows about it.

I’ve actually started my first ALA round today. ALA is the only really necessary chelator although both DMSA and DMPS make chelation a whole lot easier.

rogeriorissi;58809 wrote: And btw, I removed my amalgams in the wrong way, but what is done is done I guess lol.

What’s done is done, you’re right. At least you’ve got them all out!

rogeriorissi

ThomasJoel2;58810 wrote: I’ve actually started my first ALA round today. ALA is the only really necessary chelator although both DMSA and DMPS make chelation a whole lot easier.

Thats very interesting, about ALA being the most important chelator. Does Andy Cutler says the same thing? I though you needed DMSA to take the mercury out of your body.

ThomasJoel2
    Participant

rogeriorissi;58811 wrote:

I’ve actually started my first ALA round today. ALA is the only really necessary chelator although both DMSA and DMPS make chelation a whole lot easier.

Thats very interesting, about ALA being the most important chelator. Does Andy Cutler says the same thing? I though you needed DMSA to take the mercury out of your body.
    Yep. ALA is the most important chelator as it’s the only one out of the three that can cross the blood brain barrier. Both DMPS and DMSA help to chelate extracellular mercury, but that’s it. Neither DMPS nor DMSA have the ability to remove mercury from the brain or from the internal organs. The mercury in the brain is by far the biggest problem and that’s why ALA is so vital. DMSA is great when used alongside ALA as it can help assist the removal process.

Here’s some of what Cutler has to say on the different chelators:

[indent]”A lot of adults successfully detoxed with ALA alone (mostly because they couldn’t tolerate DMSA for some or other reason). The ALA is essential to detox, the DMSA is not.”

“Neither DMPS nor DMSA enter cells. They only go after mercury on the OUTSIDE of cells (which turns out to be about 50% of you). Any mercury they get from inside cells has to come out on its own first. Since mercury never ever ever comes out across the blood/brain barrier, and neither DMPS nor DMSA go in across the BBB, this means they are totally ineffective for clearing the brain. It also means they aren’t that helpful for clearing the liver, guts, etc. once the extracellular mercury is mopped up.”

“DMSA (and DMPS) – chelating agents that stay OUTSIDE the brain and the body’s cells and grab up all the mercury, etc. that is available in the half or so of your body that is not inside cells. These cause the mercury to come out in the urine. DMPS needs to be taken about every 8 hours during treatment, and DMSA needs to be taken about every 4. Both DMPS and DMSA are prescription drugs. DMSA is much less expensive than DMPS. DMPS works better than DMSA, but not enough better to justify the price in many instances.

Alpha lipoic acid (LA) – an over the counter nutritional supplement that chelates mercury and gets INSIDE cells and INSIDE the brain to remove mercury that is there Lipoic acid has to be taken every 3-4 hours.

These chelating agents do increase symptoms a bit when taken. You need to select a dose that doesn’t create too much in the way of side effects – side effects go up MUCH more rapidly than does the amount of mercury removed, so there is no reason to make your kid suffer.”
    [/indent]

Rabelais
    Blocked
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 268

Your dental fillings have nothing to do with the amount of mercury in your body. This has carefully been measured in large groups of volunteers, and there simply is no relation between dental fillings and body mercury.

Chelation is very popular in alternative medicine. That’s because of the simplistic view where the body is “poisoned”, and you then simply flush the body with some magic material that “cleans” out all the “poison”.

In real medicine, chelation is a known treatment, but it’s not the miracle treatment that alternative treatment likes us to believe it is.

That’s because there are many, many disadvantages to chelation. It interacts with the very basic metabolism of all cells in the body. It removes not only the supposed poison, but also lots of other stuff on which the body depends.

Therefore, chelation is used (by real doctors) only in case of a confirmed case of severe poisoning. Only then are the advantages of chelation larger than the many disadvantages. In all other cases, you would just be burdening your already-stressed body with even more toxins.

So please do yourself a big favour. First confirm, through a reliable measurement, that you really are poisoned. Then check the amount of poisoning. Only if you are really poisoned, and if you are poisoned to a large degree, you should chelate. In all other cases, please don’t burden your body with additional toxins.

Rabelais

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

Rabelais;58814 wrote: In real medicine

Rabelais;58814 wrote: by real doctors

Rabelais;58814 wrote: please don’t burden your body with additional toxins.

Yes. ‘Real’ medicine. Isn’t that the one that prescribes things like chemotherapy, antibiotics and other stuff that destroys and poisons your body?
    The amount of autism has exploded, the amount of cancer has gone up significantly, more people are getting depressed/burned out. Why? The ‘real’ medicine that you are referring to has no idea how to cure chronic diseases. It only has a suppressing answer (like antidepressants). A lot of chronic diseases are treated as mental diseases, like lyme.
    Classical medicine only recognises acute poisoning and not chronic poisoning. What they really should do is a genetic test to determine if you can secrete mercury well. But such a test doesn’t exist.

A good way to determine if you have mercury poisoning is to exclude sulfur foods from your diet (or eat a lot of sulfur food and see if your symptoms worsen).

rogeriorissi

People get better with chelation. I never saw someone saying “hey, I’m chelating for 2 years and I still have candida or fell bad”. What is really normal is seeing people trying to get rid of candida, without success. I myself stayed without fruit and grains for 5 months, for a total of 1 year in the diet. I NEED at least to try chelating. DMSA is aproved by FDA, what is somewhat rare lol. I think the key is to have patience and take the recommended doses. The only time I saw people “screwing” them up was using cilantro alone, I guess.

More questions: should I stay on the antifungals while taking DMSA and/or ALA? What are the general opinions? What about the diet, any good or bad foods, like garlic…any recommendations while chelating?

Remember guys, I just want your opinions. And they are very helpful so I can make my judgements. I thank you all!

TheChosenOne
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 410

rogeriorissi;58825 wrote: More questions: should I stay on the antifungals while taking DMSA and/or ALA? What are the general opinions? What about the diet, any good or bad foods, like garlic…any recommendations while chelating?

You can keep taking antifungals. Cutler doesn’t really say much about diet, except from the fact that you have to avoid sulfur foods and foods that may cause allergies.

Rabelais
    Blocked

rogeriorissi;58825 wrote: People get better with chelation.

Do they get better because of chelating? Or only after chelating? Would they perhaps get better despite chelating?

rogeriorissi;58825 wrote: I never saw someone saying “hey, I’m chelating for 2 years and I still have candida or fell bad”.

That’s to be expected. Most people don’t report about failed treatments. They only report treatments after which (note: not necessarily ‘because of’ which) they feel better.

You do however find reports along the lines of “I tried everything, from standard medicine to chelation and acupressure, but nothing worked. Only after I tried aura healing did I finally get better”.

Such experiences are a ‘fail’ for chelation, but chelation proponents tend not to see such testimonies.

rogeriorissi;58825 wrote: Remember guys, I just want your opinions.

That’s why I bothered to share my opinion.

What you do with my opinion is your decision. I can only offer my opinion, hoping you are willing to listen.

Rabelais

ThomasJoel2
    Participant

rogeriorissi;58825 wrote: More questions: should I stay on the antifungals while taking DMSA and/or ALA? What are the general opinions? What about the diet, any good or bad foods, like garlic…any recommendations while chelating?

Remember guys, I just want your opinions. And they are very helpful so I can make my judgements. I thank you all!

I think it’s best to lay off the antifungals while chelating. Most people find that the candida clears up on its own after enough chelation, plus I think it’s wise to give your body as little stress as possible and just focus on one thing at a time. Others might disagree however. This is just my approach.

As far as your general diet goes, that’s something that this forum has helped me with tremendously. Raster’s diet is a great starting point. An elimination diet can be really helpful here. Also, many mercury toxic people do not tolerate sulfur foods well. These people do much better when avoiding high-sulfur foods. Coincidentally, a lot of these sulfur foods are also antifungals (garlic for instance). I’m one of these people and do much better when I avoid these foods. Here’s some more information on that: http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/high-sulfur-sulphur-food-list/

rogeriorissi

ThomasJoel2;58846 wrote: I think it’s best to lay off the antifungals while chelating. Most people find that the candida clears up on its own after enough chelation, plus I think it’s wise to give your body as little stress as possible and just focus on one thing at a time. Others might disagree however. This is just my approach.

As far as your general diet goes, that’s something that this forum has helped me with tremendously. Raster’s diet is a great starting point. An elimination diet can be really helpful here. Also, many mercury toxic people do not tolerate sulfur foods well. These people do much better when avoiding high-sulfur foods. Coincidentally, a lot of these sulfur foods are also antifungals (garlic for instance). I’m one of these people and do much better when I avoid these foods. Here’s some more information on that: http://www.livingnetwork.co.za/chelationnetwork/food/high-sulfur-sulphur-food-list/

That’s a very good advise, about the high-sulfur foods; I will look into that before I return to my doctor. He may or may not know about that, and in the end, I will be the one to pay the price for my health. What I just read is that these foods might spread the mercury through the body while you chelate. And I think I will stop the antifungals for some time and see how it goes, I was thinking of doing that anyway. Chelation is different from a candida elimination, even if you have both mercury and candida. Since you need to remove mercury first (assuming you have it, and I think I do) in order to control candida, lets do that first…with patience. Thanks everyone again.

rogeriorissi

Oh another thing: can you reduce or eliminate sulfur by cooking the food like cabbage or onions, or even garlic? Thanks.

Rabelais
    Blocked

Please do not chelate “just in case”. Please please please first confirm that you actually suffer from poisoning.

Chelating without being poisoned is risky because of the many unhealthy side effects of chelation. These side effects are acceptable only if you are sure you are poisoned, because only then the benefits of removing the poison outweigh the disadvantages of the chelation.

Rabelais

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Mercury might be my problem as well.’ is closed to new replies.