Meds and supplements?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Meds and supplements?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  mazz 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

mamagibbs4
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 14

I am starting Stage 1, the colon cleanse. Am I okay to keep taking my meds and supplements? I take levathroid (I’m taking that one reguardless), prenatal vitamins, zoloft, and brewer’s yeast (it’s okay, the brewer’s yeast is dead, not live, and shouldn’t affect the Candida, I’m told). The vitamins and brewer’s yeast I would really like to keep in order to try to keep my milk. I am nursing a baby.

Speaking of which, should I even DO the cleanse if I am breastfeeding, or should I skip to stage 2?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

mamagibbs4 wrote: I am starting Stage 1, the colon cleanse. Am I okay to keep taking my meds and supplements? I take levathroid (I’m taking that one reguardless), prenatal vitamins, zoloft, and brewer’s yeast (it’s okay, the brewer’s yeast is dead, not live, and shouldn’t affect the Candida, I’m told). The vitamins and brewer’s yeast I would really like to keep in order to try to keep my milk. I am nursing a baby.

Speaking of which, should I even DO the cleanse if I am breastfeeding, or should I skip to stage 2?

Yes, you should skip the cleanse and go directly to the diet. You might also consider reading the following posts for more information.

You should continue taking whatever prescriptions your doctor has given you.

The Protocol

Candida Diet

Able

BlueSkies
    Participant
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 73

I too take a thyroid replacement for hypothyroidism. I noticed that some of the supplements have been playing with my thyroid/TSH levels.

Before you even begin taking any vitamins and supplements, I would get a blood test to check your thyroid/TSH, so you can have a base line. After you’ve done that and you start the anti-fingals I would wait at least four hours after taking your thyroid meds to take a supplement.

I noticed that the anti-fungals and other liver support supplements have seriously interfered with my thyroid medication. My TSH level was really good and then the candida supplements drove the TSH up, up, up. (btw a higher number with TSH is not good)

Monitor how you feel and determine if you’re becoming hypothyroid symptomatic again. As to whether you increase or decrease your dose is something that you’ll have to talk to your GP about.

http://thyroid.about.com/od/gettestedanddiagnosed/a/optimaltsh.htm

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

A low-carb, low-protein diet can cause hypothyroidism, so be sure to pay attention to your macronutrient ratios if you already suffer with it.

mazz
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 30

I am also breastfeeding and I skipped the cleanse and went straight to Stage 2 – there’s no way I could have coped with the cleanse. I’ve found brown rice particularly helpful for keeping up energy levels, and also fish, chicken, eggs and avocados. I give my little girl an infant probiotic and some coconut oil (she’s nearly 3) as I think she has candida too, but I don’t restrict her diet much otherwise, apart from avoiding sugars and highly processed foods.

I’ve been on the diet for about four months and am starting to see some real improvement. Still not there yet – I’ve made a couple of mistakes recently that have set me back a bit, and also I haven’t had any probiotics for the last month because I’m in Kuwait and I have to wait to go to the UK to get more – but I saw the doctor today and my thyroid issues have improved considerably. I was more at the hyper end of the spectrum but I also had thyroid nodules, and they seem to have disappeared! It can only be as a result of the diet, so I’m feeling pretty happy tonight – it does work, and it can work even if you don’t do the cleanse (I wouldn’t recommend going without probiotics though – that’s really slowed things down).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Meds and supplements?’ is closed to new replies.