Me being Mr. Hyde

Home The Candida Forum Your Stories & Journals Me being Mr. Hyde

This topic contains 27 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Croc 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #82147

    Croc
    Member
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 38

    Hello everyone 🙂

    I’m glad I decided to write on this forum. Please let me introduce myself. I’m 24 years old man (feels more like a boy though). I’m 186 cm (73 in) tall and my weight is 73 kg (161 lbs.). My weight used to be smaller usually (about 6 kg / 13 lbs. less), but I started to care about eating good breakfasts and I gained some. When I was a child, I was pretty thin and pale. Oh, and I’m Polish, living in Poland. Just in case somebody’s surprised with my poor English. Forgive me, that’s my second language 🙂

    Okay, now let’s go straight to the point: why am I here? I have several symptoms which may or may not be connected. I spent much time and much money in my life trying to feel better or at least know what’s wrong. It didn’t work.

    Here what has been confirmed with exams:

    1) Acid reflux and bile reflux – gastroscopy
    2) Streptococcus aureus – tongue smear

    That’s it for now.

    Yes, I’ve got reflux, but I don’t think it’s crucial factor of how I feel. So here are my symptoms:

    1) Lack of energy – that’s the big one. Most of the time I feel very dull and tired. I like sport, but many activities I have problem with starting. It’s difficult for me to start making food, for example. I need take naps a lot, especially after coming back home. I love naps and that’s like a relief for mine physical comfort.

    2) Pressure and nervousness at stomach area – that’s most mysterious of my symptoms. I have no idea what causes it. It feels like my stomach is pushing my diagraphm or something like that. It worst when I’m standing and best when I’m laying on my bed. After some time of taking naps I realized that one of reasons I love them is that it makes this pressure weaker. My stomach area is “nervous”. I used to go on the massages and masseur couldn’t touch it with cold hands, because I reacted like I got electric shock or something like that.

    3) Stinky mucus in my mouth – especially after eating some types of food. Products with large amounts of sugar make me have mucus in mouth. My breath is not good then. I’m able to spit some of this mucus. It’s white (sometimes greenish, brownish or yellow when I’m sick) and it tastes salty. It’s very thick too.

    4) Symptoms similar to hypoglycemia – especially during stressful situations. I’m turning shaky, my hands, feet and nose are freezingly cold. I recently read much about hypoglycemia and its influence on psychics. That’s what I experience, but let me write it in the next point.

    5) Psychical problems – that makes me very sad. I can’t feel pleasure of meeting with friends because of that. I realized that – probably – even small adrenaline amount makes me very distracted, nervous and dull-minded. I cannot focus on friends, I think only about my symptoms and want to quit. I’ve read that’s called “flee instinct” and can be caused by low sugar level. When I eat lots of sugar, next day I feel anxious. I used to think that it’s kind of neurosis, but now I doubt it.

    6) Breathing problems – my breath is very shallow and I think that’s connected with points 2) and 5). Breathing is not comfortable for me due to pressure and sometimes I feel like I have to force myself to breath.

    Ufff… that’s all I guess.

    What is positive on my way is the fact that I changed a lot of my lifestyle because of these symptoms. I started to eat better, drink better and sleep better. About 7 years ago mucus was my problem number #1, but now it’s not so bad. I learned to control it just by the way I eat. I totally put off white bread and fruit juices and they were very popular in my diet several years ago.

    Now I try to eat less sugar, but chocolate is like a drug for me. I can eat 200g of chocolate at once, but then I feel bad and my breath stinks. What is strange, when I avoid sugar, the pressure on my stomach is much harder. No idea why.

    All right, I think that’s enough for my first post here. Pretty long, huh? I know, but I didn’t want to miss anything, every information can be crucial. What I’d like to achieve? I’d like to feel better, keep my mind opened, be relaxed and have more energy to realize my ideas with success.

    Even writing this post was hard for me, but I’m happy I succeed. Today I haven’t eaten any sweeties and tried some garlic. Now (we have early night in Poland) I have very little mucus (hurray), but stomach pressure is very strong.

    Thank you so much for reading.

    #82155

    raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

    Is the Streptococcus what causes “strept throat?” Just wondering about it because I used to get strept a whole bunch.

    -raster

    #82181

    Javizy
    Member
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

    It sounds like a mixture of poor diet and stress, two things that reinforce each other, have caused most of your problems. Have you been taking antibiotics for the strep? Let me guess: you don’t do any exercise?

    The first thing anyone with GERD should be tested for is h. pylori. Stress is linked to this problematic bug. If you’ve been taking antacids and eating lots of starch, then it may well have grown out of control. A mixture of h. pylori and antacids can lead to extremely low levels of stomach acid, which can wreak havoc on digestion, and lead to all sorts of other problems. Just resolving this could help a lot of your symptoms, but it’s likely issues have developed in the intestines too.

    As for your psychological problems, would you say you’re depressed? Depression is strongly linked to inflammation, and it sounds like your diet has been incredibly inflammatory. Stress are dysbiosis are also immensely inflammatory. Changing your diet, improving gut flora, reducing stress, doing moderate exercise and supplementing fish oil and vitamin D could be very helpful. Have you ever had your vitamin D serum level checked? Do you get symptoms like joint pain, skin rash or anything else noticeable?

    Whether or not candida is behind your problems isn’t really important. You’ll still benefit from improving your diet, balancing your gut flora, reducing stress and doing moderate exercise. It’s tough getting over the carb cravings initially, especially if you have such an emotional attachment to them, but it is possible. Your body soon adjusts to a high-fat, low-carb diet, so it’s just a case of being strong until that happens.

    #82184

    Croc
    Member
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 38

    Thank you guys for replies. Let me answer you.

    Able900 – yes, you are close 🙂 I never thought seriously about S. aureus, since I know that smears are not too accurate and S. aureus is common thing as long as it’s not overgrowth. Or maybe I’m wrong?

    Javizy – I see you made some assumptions about me. Here how it looks like:

    1) Diet – I would never call my diet overally poor. I eat a lot better than my family and friends. I really enjoy eating good food like vegetables (and own-made vegetable juices) , natural yoghurts, white meat etc. I always tell my mom to do the same, because her habits are not so good. But, as I said, I have strong cravings for chocolate and usually cannot resist them. By average, I’d say I eat about 50-75g of chocolate products every day. A few days ago I changed it and eat much less. Now I have cold hands, feet and nose all the time 🙂

    2) Stress – I learned to avoid stress as well. Due to some experiences, I had extremely stressful time when I was a kid and a teenager (like 8-17 years old). Now I’d say the only thing which is stressful for me are my symptoms. I really did good job over my stress.

    3) Antibiotics – I took some antibiotics when I was a child. I was seriously ill. After that, I took them occasionally, but last time probably about 6 years ago.

    4) Joint pain – Not at all.

    5) Skin rash – No.

    6) Anything else – I have acne from time to time, especially after eating much chocolate and when I forget to wash my face carefully. My acne was mediocre when I was teen, now is very mild to none most of time and mild occasionally (like a few small dots). EDIT I forgot to mention that from time to time my soles are yellow. I don’t know if that have anything to do with other symptoms.

    7) Excercise – I don’t excercise too much, but still… better than average person. I’m trying to ride a bike like 2 hours every day. I had periods when I swam and ran a lot. The problem is that intensive excercising makes me feel very nauseous. Swimming makes me have to spit lots of mucus and feeling sick. Same with running. Bike is okay. I think it’s about “shaking” my stomach, which throws acid/mucus all over inside. When I’m riding a bike my position is stable and it doesn’t occur.

    Isn’t low-carb and high-protein diet dangerous for health? I’ve heard that it used to be recommended, but it was found to be really bad. I don’t know what to think.

    #82212

    Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

    raster wrote: Is the Streptococcus what causes “strept throat?” Just wondering about it because I used to get strept a whole bunch.

    That’s right, Raster. The medical term for strep throat is actually streptococcal pharyngitis, and another streptococcus species is also responsible for meningitis.

    Able

    #82213

    Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

    Hello, Croc, how’re you doing?

    Diet -By average, I’d say I eat about 50-75g of chocolate products every day.

    If you decide to treat the infestation, you should probably start getting used to the idea of living without your chocolate.

    Stress – I learned to avoid stress as well. Due to some experiences

    Good for you on accomplishing that. This will definitely prove useful during the treatment period and resulting die-off.

    I forgot to mention that from time to time my soles are yellow. I don’t know if that have anything to do with other symptoms.

    This ‘could possibly’ be a malabsorption problem or maybe you’re not getting quite enough vitamin A or the combination of the two. Do you take a vitamin A&D (combined) supplement?

    Another possible cause is that the soles of your feet have thickened because of the pressure on the bottoms of your feet from so two hours of bike riding a day. How long have you been doing this?

    Speaking of the two-hour bike ride; you may want to consider cutting the time in half during your treatment (if you decide to do this). The reason is that you’re going to be working on strengthening both your adrenals and immune system during the treatment, and rest is of ultra importance for accomplishing this.

    Isn’t low-carb and high-protein diet dangerous for health? I’ve heard that it used to be recommended, but it was found to be really bad. I don’t know what to think.

    If you’re assuming that this describes a Candida diet, you’re mistaken. A lower protein intake is more common than a higher amount since red meat and pork are not on the stricter diet because it only causes more problems with the infestation because of ammonia being released into the body when it breaks down. During the treatment and diet, your carbs will be supplied by some of the vegetables and coconut flour bread with the option of adding buckwheat, teff flour, organic oat bran, or rice bran.

    Let us know about your questions and concerns.
    Able

    #82215

    Javizy
    Member
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

    Croc wrote: Javizy – I see you made some assumptions about me. Here how it looks like

    Seems like giving the diet a go is worth a try. I’d ease your way into though. If you eat that much sugar daily, you might suffer hypoglycaemia or just give in to the cravings. Try to reduce your carbs by 10-20g a day and avoid anything refined/white. Increasingly smaller servings of rice might be a good way to do it.

    Croc wrote: Isn’t low-carb and high-protein diet dangerous for health? I’ve heard that it used to be recommended, but it was found to be really bad. I don’t know what to think.

    I believe they are, but you’ll be getting most of your calories from fat. Saturated fat and cholesterol aren’t unhealthy and many of the studies that claim they are ignore the biochemical literature and are poorly designed, e.g. bacon is the “same” as pasture-fed beef, types of fat or simple starch intake aren’t considered etc. If I remember, I’ll post some links later that’ll make you feel comfortable about eating more fat. If the food pyramid was correct, you wouldn’t even be here.

    Able900 wrote: A lower protein intake is more common than a higher amount since red meat and pork are not on the stricter diet because it only causes more problems with the infestation because of ammonia being released into the body when it breaks down.

    I was trying to research the ammonia issue last night. Are you basing your dietary choices on any particular studies or just the fact that it’s produced? I’m wondering if there isn’t some sort of threshold level. Some studies I saw that showed detrimental effects to the gut flora or increases in stool pH used ridiculous amounts like 200g of red meat protein, which is probably like 1kg of meat. The diets didn’t seem to include prebiotics either. It seems like there are some useful bacterial species that feed on meat that we might not want to starve, and of course lack of protein is a concern for anyone. I’ve been trying to weigh-up the pro and cons, but haven’t reached any conclusions.

    #82219

    Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

    Javizy wrote: I was trying to research the ammonia issue last night. Are you basing your dietary choices on any particular studies or just the fact that it’s produced? I’m wondering if there isn’t some sort of threshold level. Some studies I saw that showed detrimental effects to the gut flora or increases in stool pH used ridiculous amounts like 200g of red meat protein, which is probably like 1kg of meat. The diets didn’t seem to include prebiotics either. It seems like there are some useful bacterial species that feed on meat that we might not want to starve, and of course lack of protein is a concern for anyone. I’ve been trying to weigh-up the pro and cons, but haven’t reached any conclusions.

    There are studies; I don’t recall the exact sources at this moment since the only time I spent the time thoroughly researching this was probably close to 18 months ago during the worst of my own infestation. But there are reports available in journals and university-released papers, etc.

    For the most part I base this on my own as well as the experience of some of the others here on the forum. I had the treatment pretty much figured out at one point, and was taking higher counts of probiotics, but I was still experiencing mild Candida symptoms daily until I connected the ammonia and Candida link. Once I stopped trying to fit beef and pork into my diet, I had no problem finishing the cure.

    I won’t claim that the infestation is impossible to cure as long as ammonia is being released into the stomach and intestines, but I am absolutely certain that it’s easier and much, much quicker without this being present.

    Able

    #82223

    Javizy
    Member
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

    Croc,

    If you’re still worried about a high-fat diet, you might find the following two blogs informative.

    http://blog.cholesterol-and-health.com/
    http://high-fat-nutrition.blogspot.co.uk/

    This one’s my favourite at the moment.

    http://coolinginflammation.blogspot.co.uk/

    Able900 wrote: There are studies; I don’t recall the exact sources at this moment since the only time I spent the time thoroughly researching this was probably close to 18 months ago during the worst of my own infestation. But there are reports available in journals and university-released papers, etc.

    For the most part I base this on my own as well as the experience of some of the others here on the forum. I had the treatment pretty much figured out at one point, and was taking higher counts of probiotics, but I was still experiencing mild Candida symptoms daily until I connected the ammonia and Candida link. Once I stopped trying to fit beef and pork into my diet, I had no problem finishing the cure.

    I won’t claim that the infestation is impossible to cure as long as ammonia is being released into the stomach and intestines, but I am absolutely certain that it’s easier and much, much quicker without this being present.

    I see. Listening to your body is the best thing you can do really. I don’t eat much meat myself, but some days I wonder if I’m getting enough protein. That’s why I was wondering how much ammonia it would take to cause pH changes. A H. pylori overgrowth must be quite problematic for candida sufferers too, since it releases ammonia to neutralise stomach acid.

    #82269

    Croc
    Member
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 38

    Thank you guys 😀

    Able900 – I don’t take any suplements. Honestly, I don’t believe in their quality. Maybe I’m wrong, but I believe that vitamins and microelements should be absorbed from natural sources, otherwise they don’t just work. Should I change my mind?

    Malabsorption sounds reasonably. I’ve never heard this name, but I was wondering whether everything I eat is metabolized properly. Why am I so slim all life? I eat pretty much normally. And why does my body reject sugar? (does it?)

    Okay, I’d like to share my today experiences with you now.

    Today I continued to avoid sugar. Here’s what I ate today:

    – warm mineral water with whole lemon squeezed
    – 2 boiled eggs for breakfast
    – 2 cloves of garlic for 2nd breakfast (I munched them)
    – salmon and spinach for dinner
    – glass of kefir for supper
    – about 2l of mineral water

    It may be not perfect, but at least I think I didn’t feed candida, right? 🙂

    I reminded myself what happens with me when I eat garlic. It occured a few years ago when I tried candida diet, but I forgot about it. Today, again I felt something like some part of my inner mouth (under tongue, on sides) is paralyzed / burned by garlic. What can be the reason for that? Is it normal? I munch garlic and it’s very “spicy”.

    The good thing is that I didn’t feel cravings for chocolate today. I felt like it would be great to eat chocolate, but it wasn’t like I really have to.

    The bad thing is that pressure is still present. I felt pretty good before eating salmon and very bad after (nervous, nauseous). I couldn’t thing about anything else but this feeling.

    I’d like to tell you something new about me. I have artistic hobbies, mainly singing. People say I’m good at it, but in most cases I’m unable to do my best. Who is interested in art, knows how important thing is clear mind. My dream is to get to get it back.

    One more new thing about me: I react nauseous and I’m burping after everything I put in my mouth. Even mineral water makes me feel worse than before drinking.

    I’m not sure if my stomach isn’t in some way anatomically wrong. Generally saying, swallowing food and water is not convenient for me.

    Thank you again 🙂

    #82290

    Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

    Hello, Croc.
    There seems to be a lot to cover with your story, such as the paragraph below.

    Pressure and nervousness at stomach area – that’s most mysterious of my symptoms. I have no idea what causes it. It feels like my stomach is pushing my diagraphm or something like that. It worst when I’m standing and best when I’m laying on my bed. After some time of taking naps I realized that one of reasons I love them is that it makes this pressure weaker. My stomach area is “nervous”. I used to go on the massages and masseur couldn’t touch it with cold hands, because I reacted like I got electric shock or something like that.

    If you don’t mind, I have a few questions concerning that paragraph.

    First of all, I can tell you that nervousness during a Candida albicans infestation can manifest itself in many different ways; ways that most of us would never imagine unless we have the experience. Being strictly in the stomach area is something I have not heard of before, but nevertheless I certainly wouldn’t eliminate Candida as being the cause.

    The stomach pressure itself is what I wanted to question. When you say “pressure” the normal path would be to think gas or flatulence. But I have a feeling this isn’t what you were referring to, or is it? So if this is not your problem, I’m going to mention something that I’ve only mentioned once before on the forum and that was all of 8 months ago, so unless people just aren’t describing it as you and the other member did, apparently it isn’t that common, however, it’s still documented as a “Candida side-effect.” The problem I’m speaking of is a hiatal hernia, and according to research papers it’s a fairly normal side effect of a long standing case of a Candida albicans infestation. I considered this as a possibility because of the length of time you may have had the infestation.
    Another clue to a hiatal hernia being a possible cause is your statement, “I’m not sure if my stomach isn’t in some way anatomically wrong. Generally saying, swallowing food and water is not convenient for me.” It seems that one of the symptoms of an HH is a slight to strong difficulty in swallowing and “strange” feelings as the food passes down and into the intestines and stomach. Does any of this sound familiar as far as your own experiences are concerned?

    One explanation I remember reading as far as why Candida would cause an HH went something like – but probably not exactly like this explanation; the Candida toxins (usually in a ‘gassy’ form) sometimes creates pressure against the upper diaphragm, and pressure on that end of the stomach can force a reflux action up and into the esophagus damaging the lower esophageal sphincter and eventually creating a Hiatal Hernia. This description contains a bit of speculation on my part because I can’t remember exactly how the explanation was phrased or where I read it 8 months ago; probably in some old journal which since has been stashed into one of my four file cabinets.

    On another subject, you listed your diet as;

    -warm mineral water with whole lemon squeezed
    – 2 boiled eggs for breakfast
    – 2 cloves of garlic for 2nd breakfast (I munched them)
    – salmon and spinach for dinner
    – glass of kefir for supper
    – about 2l of mineral water

    I’m a male as well, but I’m 34 years old. I also exercise but possibly just a bit more strenuous than your 2 hour bike riding, although that’s more than enough while you still have the infestation. Since curing the infestation I now combine two basketball games a week with tennis, running, and some weight lifting and doing at least one of these every day. So I know from my past experience that, were I eating your diet, I’d be losing weight like a mad man. Are you not losing weight at all?

    Your diet isn’t bad at all as far as avoiding food for the Candida, however, you’re also barely feeding the beneficial bacteria being supplied by your kefir. Without food, you’ll only create a cycle of adding the bacteria via the kefir but then allowing them to die-off because of the lack of food. This way they’ll never be able to truly colonize the intestine which means you’ll never change the environment that must take place in order to turn off the growth gene of Candida yeast, therefore allowing them to continue to change into the fungal form, or Candida albicans. To supply enough food, you should be eating varied prebiotic food sources every day such as avocados, organic oat bran, brown rice bran, and at least 5 or 6 types of fibrous green vegetables a day.

    Please let me know what your thoughts are on the hiatal hernia possibility.
    Able

    #82312

    orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

    I had to add to Able’s post as I do have personal experience with this. I was just recently diagnosed with hiatus hernia and most of the stomach symptoms you mention I do have. I often feel nausea after drinking water or eating larger meals etc. Your acid reflux could be caused by HH as well. But I do see that you had a gastroscopy (called endoscopy in US) done which this is how HH is usually diagnosed (mine was). I wonder if they missed it, it does happen if they are not looking for it. I have reflux but mine was caused by reduced size of the stomach and not closing up properly due to HH so the food and liquids come back up. I also have some chest pain and pressure which is caused by the stomach problems.

    Watch out for mineral water. I see you are in Poland and it may be similar as in Bosnia that all mineral water is carbonated. While it might make you feel a bit better momentarily, 2l of mineral water also burns your stomach and creates other problems, plus adds some toxins to your body as well. I would reduce it or stay away from it completely. I feel better on just plain water left in open container to get rid of chlorine.

    Reflux is tough if you take in a lot of liquids and don’t take enough solid food to “collect” excess water and acid as the food and acid is refluxed back up causing discomfort such as nausea and heartburn. Having a lot of liquids which is required for your treatment is tough so try following few things to make it easier:
    – don’t drink lots of liquids near your meals
    – split up your food into 5 or 6 smaller meals
    – when you drink liquids, drink it in smaller sips vs. gulfing down a glass of water (I used to do this)

    Lemon water was also tough on me as it was generating more acid and giving me more discomfort. I have it in the less water and in the middle of my meal so that food takes it in. I have my kefir with dinner and I usually have my meal, then drink lemon water with my supplements and finally drink kefir after it so kefir soothes it.

    Hope these few tips help you.

    Arijana

    #82332

    Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

    orka1998 wrote: I had to add to Able’s post as I do have personal experience with this. I was just recently diagnosed with hiatus hernia and most of the stomach symptoms you mention I do have.

    Hello, Arijana.
    Thank you so much for adding your own experience for Croc to consider using and also in diagnosing his problems.

    I was not aware that an HH was a problem you were having in addition to the infestation, etc. I’m very glad that you shared this with the forum, and I certainly see how you were experiencing additional problems with the infestation. My best wishes that you will see a perfectly clean health report before the year is over.

    Sincerely, Able

    #82341

    Croc
    Member
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 38

    Able900 – yes, I lost my weight a little bit.

    Hiatus hernia sounds more than possible. There are 4 things giving me a relief of “stomach pressure”:

    1) changing position (to sitting or laying)
    2) burping
    3) farting (sorry) 🙂
    4) grunting – this one needs some explanation. Most of the time – as I mentioned – I’m able to spit some mucus. When I grunt, I feel like my stomach is doing something and mucus comes up to throat. Sometimes that gives me pretty big relief. I never feel really good about it, but this activity makes me feel from really bad to not so bad.

    orka1998 – all of this “watch out of” are making me sad. Now I have no idea what should I drink, since mineral water was the only thing I’ve been drinking for several years.

    I realized that it’s much easier to give any food/drink up when I feel better. When I feel strong pressure or post-sugar symptoms, I don’t control myself as well, I mean I feel like I really have to eat something bad, because that gives me a relief for a longer while.

    But I’m still strong and don’t touch sugar…

    #82343

    Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

    I realized that it’s much easier to give any food/drink up when I feel better. When I feel strong pressure or post-sugar symptoms, I don’t control myself as well, I mean I feel like I really have to eat something bad, because that gives me a relief for a longer while.

    Hello, Croc.

    I’m afraid I don’t completely understanding that paragraph, Croc, could you possibly expand on it just a tad to make it a bit clearer? Especially as far as the ‘relief’ received from bad food is concerned. Is this physical or mental relief?

    Also, feeling ‘sad’ is sometimes a normal feeling with looking ahead at the treatment details because you’re seeing what you need to accomplish as one big picture. But this isn’t the way it usually happens as most members take to the details on a step by step basis which changes the picture considerably. If it helps, it does get easier, and one day you realize that it’s just a different way of living your life which isn’t as painful as living with the infestation. During the treatment, at least you’re doing something towards an end.

    Thanks, Able

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Me being Mr. Hyde’ is closed to new replies.