Mashed Cauliflower

Home The Candida Forum Foods & Recipe Ideas Lunch & Dinner Mashed Cauliflower

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  firebluefreak 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

fml432
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 35

Hi everyone! I just wanted to share this recipe I tried out recently, and it’s GREAT! Plus, you can have it at any phase in your diet! It’s similar in appearance and texture to mashed potatoes, though you can still make out the mild taste of the cauliflower. But it tastes amazing, and you can add whatever herbs or spices you’d like! The original recipe is from WholeFoodsMarket.com (below is copy and pasted from the site)

Mashed Cauliflower

Serves 4
    Mashed cauliflower tastes similar to mashed potatoes but with fewer carbs. Top with chopped herbs…if you like.

Ingredients
    1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into small florets (about 6 to 7 cups)
    1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    Himalayan sea salt and ground black pepper to taste

Method
    Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook until very tender, about 10 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid and then drain well and transfer cauliflower to a food processor. Add oil and reserved water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and puree until smooth. (Or, mash cauliflower with a potato masher). Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Nutrition
    Per serving: 110 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 8g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 3g protein

Marbro
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 252

I was just going to post asking for a good subsitute for mash potatoes. I am making turkey with oat bran flower gravey and need something to poor it over 🙂

Thanks again!!!

ZoePhoenix
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 32

Mashed cauliflower is so good! I make it almost just like this except I like to throw in a clove or two of garlic with the cauliflower when I cook it, and when I’m blending it I also add a couple spoonfuls of greek yogurt and a little nutmeg. It tastes so amazing. (:

fml432
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 35

That sounds great Zoe! I can’t have greek yogurt yet, but when I can, I’ll be sure to try that out next time.

SEJ
    Replies: 18

fml432 wrote: Hi everyone! I just wanted to share this recipe I tried out recently, and it’s GREAT! Plus, you can have it at any phase in your diet! It’s similar in appearance and texture to mashed potatoes, though you can still make out the mild taste of the cauliflower. But it tastes amazing, and you can add whatever herbs or spices you’d like! The original recipe is from WholeFoodsMarket.com (below is copy and pasted from the site)

Mashed Cauliflower

Serves 4
    Mashed cauliflower tastes similar to mashed potatoes but with fewer carbs. Top with chopped herbs…if you like.

Ingredients
    1 medium head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into small florets (about 6 to 7 cups)
    1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    Himalayan sea salt and ground black pepper to taste

Method
    Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add cauliflower and cook until very tender, about 10 minutes. Reserve 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid and then drain well and transfer cauliflower to a food processor. Add oil and reserved water, 1 tablespoon at a time, and puree until smooth. (Or, mash cauliflower with a potato masher). Season with salt and pepper and serve.

Nutrition
    Per serving: 110 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 8g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 3g sugar), 3g protein

I just ate that very thing two days ago! It’s yummy! But when I am feeling better, there is an even more yummy recipe with added Millet in it. It is called Millet Mashed Potatoes. You mix cooked Millet in with your Cauliflower, oil or butter, salt, et voila! Almost better than potatoes!

Lauren
    Topics: 44
    Replies: 267

I tried mash cauliflower before and was not a fan, but after reading all this I think I will have to try it again. I am thinking the first time I cooked it for to long because it had a watery taste. Garlic improved the taste for sure. Zoe the yogurt thing sounds so good. If I could have it I would be doing that :D. Thanks for posting this, because now I am willing to try it again. 😀
    Thanks Lauren

Lauren

I tired it again and I like it! Thanks for posting this. I put olive oil, salt, and pepper like stated above. I also added a very very small amount of ghee (about 1/4 of teaspoon, maybe even less) and garlic. It was good, kind of like garlic mash! Thanks again!
    Lauren

sammcl
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 151

This is fantastic for stage one. Thank you so much

Marbro
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 252

I find when I boil it that even after draining it holds too much water. I have been roasting minewith whole garli instead and it comes out better but still not what im lookin for. I will try adding the millet next. thanks for that idea.

I also throw in some milk kefir and plenty of peper

I miss my mash potatoes soo much. Another thing that helps Is that I make gravy out of the dripping from my weekly whole roasted chicken. I use buckwheet to thicken. Works great.

sby
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 27

Great ideas here…I’m going to try mashed cauliflower too!

Lauren

Lamb curry is wonderful on top of mashed cauliflower. I used the curry recipe given on the main website and took out the brown lentils. Instead I added a little coconut flour to thicken the sauce near the end of cooking. It was great!
    Lauren

Chiskinlady
    Replies: 18

I tried this last night & it rocked! I added a little bit of homemade hemp milk with the cauliflower as I mixed it in the food processor. Mmmm! I could eat this every night & not feel guilty one bit! 🙂

sheepish
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 5

I only see cauliflower in stores with the beginnings of brown spots. If this is mildew would this be a problem for candida sufferers? Most of the stores here just cut them away but ?

firebluefreak
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1

Wow, just made this and it was amazing! It was a blast from the past, I haven’t ate mashed potatoes in forever, and that was really close! I added a splash of freeze dried parsley flakes to make it look prettier, and to enhance the flavor. 😉 I ate the whole pot! xD

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Mashed Cauliflower’ is closed to new replies.