Marathon training and Candida diet

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Marathon training and Candida diet

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  SueinOz 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

SueinOz
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 24

Hi all,
    I’m wanting to start seriously on The Protocol outlined by Able and the guys. I’ve tried a few things recently – Threelac which I had a severe reaction too, and Syntol plus probiotics… Trouble is I am in my 5th year of running Marathons and with a very demanding schedule I can’t stick to diets as I starve without enough carbs! My husband is training too and we eat later because of training and cooking separate meals is very difficult. We end up very late and I don’t get enough sleep and rest.I’m just OK managing with a gluten free vegetarian diet and Marathon training but am wondering how to cut out all sugars. I need elecrolyte drinks when I’m on long runs like Cytomax, and gels like Gu or Endura, with recovery drinks afterwards… Plus I would usually eat rice and potatoes.
    What to do? Can I do it without stopping my training. I love it so much and it makes me feel happy I can do something despite feeling so ill all the time.

Thanks.

stovariste
    Replies: 116

I was really active in sport before and at first 1/2 of my diet. I was not professional, but it was up to 3 really demanding trainings a week (football and gym).

When I started diet, since I was overweight, at first it was really enjoying for my body to exercise and that was also helping my die-off. Later on I lost majority of my overweight and according to BMI, I am now in bottom half of ideal weight… BUT… I don’t train anymore… not until I recover.

Reason is simple, my body spent all of my overweight mass and after each training I was like sick for 2-3 days. I figured out that my muscles want some carbs, and I cannot provide it to them. Not the sugar at least, not energy they needed… Only vegetables which is not enough.

last, but maybe most important, I think I’ve read somewhere that its not recommended on diet at all, since every strength exercise is actually a shot on immune system of the body, actually helping candida to fight back!

I would not run for a while if I would be on your place…

stovariste

ah I found where I read it, but I read about it on more places as well:

https://www.thecandidadiet.com/candida-and-inflammation/, so bellow in comments there is this:

Donna

I have been on the diet for 6 months. I am doing alittle better but my fingers are started to hurt. My concern is that I am a runner and really don’t want to give it up. I am only running 2 days a week, bike one day and weight training one day. I have cut back to 4 days. In the past I worked out 6 days. How do I know if I am doing to much?

and the answer

Lisa Richards

You will know if you are over-exercising doing too much if you start to see your immune system weakening – i.e. more regular colds and flus – or if you notice a worsening in your Candida.

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

If you don’t have it already, that is a sure fire way to get adrenal burnout. I’m sorry to say, but if your sure candida is your problem I would pull out. Marathons are bad for the body anyway, if your already inflamed its only going to make things last longer.

SueinOz

Thanks for replies. It’s true Marathons are very taxing and stress all systems. I’m sure you are right that not going for it so hard is best for beating Candida fungus or any nasty attack. Still I would like to try!
    My eye is all swollen and itchy, and red and dry, irritated by some allergy/fungus/nasty thing right now. Had it two weeks. Hope it is not a Candida thing.
    I’m still going to keep training until I have no hope.

Any Marathon runners out there who kept going on the diet?

stovariste

as far as I understand marathon requires carbs, carbs and even more carbs supplies in muscles, so the body can take it while race is going on… with this diet you will not have what it needs, unless you cheat.

MadEmx
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 45

I am a marathon runner and I know how you feel. It seems we need to choose between the diet and our passion (and only marathon runners have that crazy passion). I am new so I won’t have the expert advice. I started the diet May 6th. My first marathon was May 26th (such bad timing). When I did the strict no carbs at all phase, I couldn’t even run 6 km. My naturopath said I can’t sustain my training on the strict phase. So she added millet and quinoa. I carb load on those for two days before my long runs. I ate every 1-2 hours the days before my race. I did take GU gels during the marathon because I wasn’t about to give up 4 months of training and my bucket list dream. I don’t have an answer for during the long runs yet, since I can’t take gels. You could do nuts and seeds I suppose. almond butter balls? But I do find if I eat a lot of quinoa and millet (which I can tolerate, you may be different) two days before, I have the energy. I have heard of some runners who eat low carb and say it’s fine, because you can train your body to burn fat and not carbs. But I don’t have the info on that yet. Good luck and let me know what you decide.

Cheesey
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 245

SueinOz;45291 wrote: Thanks for replies. It’s true Marathons are very taxing and stress all systems. I’m sure you are right that not going for it so hard is best for beating Candida fungus or any nasty attack. Still I would like to try!
    My eye is all swollen and itchy, and red and dry, irritated by some allergy/fungus/nasty thing right now. Had it two weeks. Hope it is not a Candida thing.
    I’m still going to keep training until I have no hope.

Any Marathon runners out there who kept going on the diet?

I’m not a marathon runner, but I before the diet I did run maybe 20 to 30 miles a week.

I had extremely heavy die-off at the beginning of the diet, however, and now have essentially been left with chronic fatigue syndrome. Walking a mile is questionable, never mind running. Had I known then what I know now, I would have proceeded on the diet with extreme caution and been very careful not to push myself either in regards to the diet/antifungals or the activities I was undertaking.

Essentially, if you’re going to try to do both, I think the relative speed of progress on the diet will have to be extremely slow, otherwise you might leave yourself in a much worse position than before.

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

It’s been my observation from this forum that those athletes who continue to train at a high level of intensity during their treatment have more setbacks, worse die-off, more cravings, slower progress…etc. If you have leaky gut or any other inflammatory issues, marathon training will make it extremely difficult and slow going to heal.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would do either the diet or training for the marathon but I wouldn’t do both at the same time. If you are not getting enough sleep, then you aren’t treating your body good and aren’t healing very effectively in general…you need to fix this if you want to have a successful marathon and general health.

You need to rebuild your immune system and not muscle mass.

-raster

moochpb
    Topics: 112
    Replies: 688

I’m not a marathon runner but I’m an mma fighter and Jiu jitsu practitioner. I tax my body really hard but listen to my body alot more. The first 3 months of fungals and diet were tough. I could barely train because of die off. I don’t have die off anymore just still digestion issues. My energy and overall feeling is better so I train 4 days a week plus a physical full time job, plus school. It’s tough but I push through. My body is used to lower carbs now.

SueinOz

Thanks everyone.

My Marathon is in mid September and I also have eye surgery to go through – again – (trifocal IOLs and my brain don’t get along, so they have to come out), plus a trip to see my Mum in November. Looks like I will have to wait before I start seriously, or there will be too many potential problems.
    I could start in September as I’ll be right in to it by November and will know what to eat etc. Plus no running allowed after surgery for 4-6 weeks.
    I’ve done too many long runs in the pouring rain and cold dark Sydney evenings to stop training for this particular Marathon, and hubby would have no-one to run with or eat with!

MadEmx and Cheesey – you know how crazy we marathoners are. Thanks for letting me know your experiences. Quinoa and millet sound great. I did do my first Marathon on a restricted diet where I eliminated 72 things I had IGg reactions to. I’ll analyse things and see if I could do it sooner…

Thanks for your comments they are much appreciated. Cool Runners website got me through my second Marathon when I was sick for 4 weeks with 5 weeks to go. This site is fantastic and I will be back to get myself better as soon as possible.

SueinOz

MadEmx;45300 wrote: I am a marathon runner and I know how you feel. It seems we need to choose between the diet and our passion (and only marathon runners have that crazy passion). I am new so I won’t have the expert advice. I started the diet May 6th. My first marathon was May 26th (such bad timing). When I did the strict no carbs at all phase, I couldn’t even run 6 km. My naturopath said I can’t sustain my training on the strict phase. So she added millet and quinoa. I carb load on those for two days before my long runs. I ate every 1-2 hours the days before my race. I did take GU gels during the marathon because I wasn’t about to give up 4 months of training and my bucket list dream. I don’t have an answer for during the long runs yet, since I can’t take gels. You could do nuts and seeds I suppose. almond butter balls? But I do find if I eat a lot of quinoa and millet (which I can tolerate, you may be different) two days before, I have the energy. I have heard of some runners who eat low carb and say it’s fine, because you can train your body to burn fat and not carbs. But I don’t have the info on that yet. Good luck and let me know what you decide.

Hey MadEmx,
    It’s tough isn’t it, and weird, feeling so ill but being able to run Marathons. Running keeps me sane as I forget that I’m so dizzy, woozy and sick. I actually feel better outdoors running even in the rain. None of my friends would understand how I can feel so rotten and still run. They don’t know how I feel and think I am fit and healthy!
    I’ll let you know what I decide to do.
    Thanks again. Happy running!!

Smitty99
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 227

I’m not sure what your level of candida infestation is and there is no real way to know that until you start the diet and judge but your level of die off.

All I can tell you is working out during this war is almost impossible. My passion is hockey and I’ve had to quit summer hockey this year and ice hockey starting in October is even questionable for me the way I feel now.

Essentially it’s similar to having a broken leg. You wouldn’t keep training on a broken leg and expect it to heal at the same rate of speed as if you rested. Same as battling candida. Getting your immune system to come back online is the hardest part according to most on here and I”d have to agree. Taxing your body can only prolong that.

So I would probably start the diet the day after your marathon as long as candida isn’t affecting your everyday life. I unfortunately didn’t have a choice with my symptoms.

Good luck

yogajedi
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 43

Hi all, I know this is a slightly older thread, but I wanted to share my experiences with run-training and the candida diet.

For my main job, I work at a running shoe store. We custom fit people in shoes, help people training for races (5k’s up to Ironman triathlon, even some doing 100 mile runs). I have done several marathons and an Ironman, and probably put in 10 hours a week solely on ironman/marathon nutritional needs. You are welcome to do your own research/talk with your health provider, but the consensus (Scott jurek’s book, Brendan brazier’s books, hammer nutrition books and website) is that carbs (simple and complex) are pretty essential for anything over an hour. Virtually every source I’ve read on the subject recommends carbs for a recovery (usually simple carbs).

My experience doing a marathon, while eating carbs and following a vegan diet: I got in a plane immediately afterwards, no cramping, and I was not even a little sore the next day.

My experience after doing an Ironman (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike ride and a 26.2 mile run) while eating carbs and following the same diet; I went back to work the next day, and only had minor soreness in my quads.

My experience doing a 10k (6.2 mile run- much less) while 100% on the candida diet (forum) and not doing
    carbs (no gels, drinks, recovery drinks): I was EXTREMELY fatigued during the race. I performed poorly, my recovery was close to a week, and I had no energy for several days.

I believe that even long-distance triathlons and ultra marathons can be safe if done properly (good training plan, proper nutrition, stretching etc) but would not recommend anything over a 5k run while on the diet.

If, after your candida is gone, you are interested in marathon training than I highly recommend researching Brendan Brazier. His recommended products (recipes or premade products) still contain carbs, but they are a much more natural source: agave/dates instead of cane sugar/corn sugar etc.

I know much more about run nutrition than candida nutrition, so chime in if anyone else has ideas : )

Brett

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Marathon training and Candida diet’ is closed to new replies.