Making Kefir (without accidental sabotage)

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Making Kefir (without accidental sabotage)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  raster 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Himawari
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 65

I’m five weeks into the diet (the last 2-3 of which were very strict), and I’d like to start eating kefir. I’m having trouble finding the grains, but kefir packets are plentiful. I think they contain some kind of powder that you add directly to a carton of milk. They’re not very fiscally friendly, since unlike grains you can only use them once, but would be a good temporary solution.

Has anyone tried using the packets before with coconut milk rather than cow’s milk? Since I’m still suffering from my original symptoms I don’t want to reintroduce dairy just yet, but still want kefir’s nutritional benefit. According to this site: http://www.passionatehomemaking.com/2010/03/how-to-make-coconut-milk-kefir.html there is still some dairy in the packets. Any thoughts?

Also, is there anything in particular I should be concerned about when picking out coconut milk? Like, is this something that I can buy conventional, or should I stick with organic?

Finally, I thought kefir contained at least some sugar… so should I be careful how much I eat per day?

Thank you in advance for any advice~

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Quote: kefir packets are plentiful. I think they contain some kind of powder that you add directly to a carton of milk. They’re not very fiscally friendly, since unlike grains you can only use them once, but would be a good temporary solution.

Reply: The starter is fine. This kefir starter by Body Ecology is a good quality and a good one to start with. Instructions are inside.
    http://www.amazon.com/Kefir-Starter-Kit-Makes-Gallons/dp/B000I6W0XG/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1323052109&sr=1-1
    There are also instructions explaining how to make it with coconut milk if you want to do that, which is fine.

Quote: Also, is there anything in particular I should be concerned about when picking out coconut milk? Like, is this something that I can buy conventional, or should I stick with organic?

Reply: Thai is a good brand, so is Native Forest. It doesn’t have to read “organic” but if it does, you can be sure it’s of a good quality.

Quote: Finally, I thought kefir contained at least some sugar… so should I be careful how much I eat per day?

Reply: Start out with kefir slowly, a little at a time like you would any other ‘new’ food being added. But the milk sugar is ‘eaten’ during the fermentation process so only a bit of it is left by the time we enjoy drinking it.

Able

Himawari
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 65

Thanks for the feedback, Abel. I’d rather not have to hassle with international shipping (I know Amazon doesn’t ship everything it carries internationally, and I’m not certain about customs regulations in regard to food items), so I’ll try to find some similar local equivalents.

On a side note, my original eczema symptoms have been clearing up nicely and my die-off symptoms have been waning a little, so I’m starting to feel more positively about this diet.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Himawari wrote: On a side note, my original eczema symptoms have been clearing up nicely and my die-off symptoms have been waning a little, so I’m starting to feel more positively about this diet.

Hey this is great news, Himawari, glad to hear that. And it says that you’ve stuck to the diet and done as you should as far as the treatment goes.

Congratulations on being so determined to conquer this thing.

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Somehow I completely failed to make kefir correctly. I need some tips for the next time around. I am pretty upset because I used raw goat milk which won’t be available until next march!

Directions I followed:

1)Get milk to boiling point and then cool to about 70 degrees F.
    2)Once at that temp., add the kefir starting kit to the milk and stir.
    3)Place in a sealed container (preferably glass) and let sit for 24-36 hours.
    4)Then strain to seperate liquid part from chunky part. Put chunks into a new container and add milk to make more!

Well, after 36 hours, the kefir has not formed. No chunks at all and almost completely liquid. No seperation of the milk into various layers either; it just looked like milk that has been sitting for 36 hours with no activity!

What did I do wrong?

I am thinking that the room temperature in my house is too low. We use oil for heat which is expensive to say the least, so we keep the house at 58 degrees F during the day and about 65 degrees F when we are home. We can tough out the cold and this isn’t that bad at all for temp.

I am also thinking maybe the kefir is bad or old.

Please help! I want to make some soon!]

-Raster

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Making Kefir (without accidental sabotage)’ is closed to new replies.