Making Kefir

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Making Kefir

This topic contains 5 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Tres 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mamagibbs4
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 14

I made my first batch of homemade kefir yesterday. It was a Kefir starter, and the instructions said to heat the milk to the boiling point as the first step. Mine burned on the bottom of the pan. I removed the milk from the pan and continued making the kefir. It set up perfectly, and would be really yummy except for the burned-on-the-bottom aftertaste, which is nasty!

Should I warm the milk on a lower setting, until it boils? Like medium? I always turn the stove up to high when boiling water, but I don’t want to burn my milk again.

What about microwaving the milk? (I never burn stuff in the microwave). Would that be a good option, or does milk have enzymes, or something, which would be killed or compromised in the microwave, somethig the kefir needs?

Flipper
    Topics: 33
    Replies: 79

I just got a kit too and it doesn’t say anything about heating the milk. Just to let it sit for about a day. I have needed to dump it out daily this week coz it’s not strong enough, but today it started having that tang and I think tomorrow I’ll be good to go. Can’t wait! Good luck and maybe you could look on line for alternative ways to make it.

salexander
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 32

Get some kefir grains. You just mix kefir grains with cold milk and let sit at room temperature for 24 hours. Strain and add milk to grains for next batch.

epione
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 24

The milk should actually not be cold, best is room temperature.

Also make sure the Kefir grains dont get touched by metal as it will react and destroy your grains.

Scooter133
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 5

mamagibbs4 wrote: I made my first batch of homemade kefir yesterday. It was a Kefir starter, and the instructions said to heat the milk to the boiling point as the first step. […snip…]

I’ve purchased Water Kefir Grains form The KefirLady and have Great success in the handful of Batches I’ve made so far. She sells both Water and Milk Kefir. You do want a 75ยบ or so liquid for optimal Kefir growing.

I Just posted my Water Kefir recipe(s) in another thread Recently…

Scott

Tres
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 19

Hi Whole Foods carry Keifer grains. I use milk grain Keifer.I make my Keifer with coconut milk. The grains can also be purchased from Cultyres for Health.com.
    Tres

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Making Kefir’ is closed to new replies.