Magnesium and Methylation

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Magnesium and Methylation

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ThomasJoel2 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Tdog333
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 245

I was reading this article about how important magnesium is for the methylation cycle
    http://gotmag.org/mg-deficiency-affects-mthfr-really/

but then i remembered hearing about how MG causes exponential growth in candida and triggers it to switch to a fungal form. I poked around and found some forum posts on it like this one
    http://curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=1884809

What do you guys think, I stopped magnesium for awhile and started taking it again the past couple days, but now i’m not really sure whether to keep supplementing or not.

If so which type of MG is best?

impossible
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 606

klips32
    Participant
    Topics: 65
    Replies: 183

Can we get a sticky post on this?

ThomasJoel2
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 375

impossible, any thoughts on magnesium glycinate?

impossible
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 606

ThomasJoel2;52122 wrote: impossible, any thoughts on magnesium glycinate?

I think transdermal is best, for us esp, but of all the oral forms, i like mag glycinate the best in the right circumstances. Good absorption and both mag and glycine are an essential part of a glutathione protocol. It seems like the jury is still out on whether glycine acts as an excitatory or inhibitory precursor, and some say its different and can be both, it supports whatever state you are in at the moment. Raising glutathione and lowering excitotoxicity should be at the top of the priority list for anyone suffering from candida, and mag is essential for both of those. Most of us are not short on glutamate, and I dont really recommend supplementing with glutamine for that reason. It seems that mag & glycine combined with a source of cysteine might help with that, 2 birds with one stone.

I would think with a homozygous cbs699 mutation mag glycinate might do you well, possibly help drain off free cysteine and the excess glutamate most of us have, converting to glutathione in the presence of the other cofactors. If you’ve tried it, what have you found? For me, it had a nice calming effect when I started it that diminished over time. I have a bad glutamate problem btw, my worst symptom by far, though at this point one of the few left:)

Also, have you tried a b6 supplement at all since you started managing your sulfur intake and if so how did it work for you? Just curious.

ThomasJoel2
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 375

impossible;52134 wrote:

impossible, any thoughts on magnesium glycinate?

I think transdermal is best, for us esp, but of all the oral forms, i like mag glycinate the best in the right circumstances. Good absorption and both mag and glycine are an essential part of a glutathione protocol. It seems like the jury is still out on whether glycine acts as an excitatory or inhibitory precursor, and some say its different and can be both, it supports whatever state you are in at the moment. Raising glutathione and lowering excitotoxicity should be at the top of the priority list for anyone suffering from candida, and mag is essential for both of those. Most of us are not short on glutamate, and I dont really recommend supplementing with glutamine for that reason. It seems that mag & glycine combined with a source of cysteine might help with that, 2 birds with one stone.

I would think with a homozygous cbs699 mutation mag glycinate might do you well, possibly help drain off free cysteine and the excess glutamate most of us have, converting to glutathione in the presence of the other cofactors. If you’ve tried it, what have you found? For me, it had a nice calming effect when I started it that diminished over time. I have a bad glutamate problem btw, my worst symptom by far, though at this point one of the few left:)

Also, have you tried a b6 supplement at all since you started managing your sulfur intake and if so how did it work for you? Just curious.

First off, I’m a little over halfway through Pathways so I’m glad I can follow you now when you’re talking about things like excitotoxicity and excess glutamate.

I haven’t started magnesium glycinate yet because I’ve been sick recently, but am planning to start it in a week or so. I had previously tried magnesium citrate, but I got a bad reaction (fibromyalgia + bowel intolerance) so I’m trying this. The glycinate form was recommended by this guy: http://magnesiumman.com/ who I found on YouTube after watching some methylation panels.

I haven’t tried a b6 supplement yet, no. Right now I’m still trying to get on Andy Cutler’s 4 basic supps (mag, c, e, zinc) one at a time, in order to prepare for chelation. I believe Yasko recommends at least some of these as well so I’m happy about that. Right now the plan is to ready myself for chelation, while learning as much as possible about methylation in the meantime. If I can learn enough about methylation before I can chelate, enough so that I feel confident and comfortable in what I’m doing, I may try addressing methylation first. I figure I have 3 months before I’m on Cutler’s 4 main supps at the proper doses, so we will see.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Magnesium and Methylation’ is closed to new replies.