Lucy and Thomas

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Lucy and Thomas

This topic contains 21 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Thomas 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

A good day to you both, Lucy and Thomas.

After studying over and comparing your problems last night, I think the problems that both of you are experiencing are similar in one big way; that being, the basic nature of your problems are caused by toxins. I say this because, in the end, the toxins such as aldehydes which the Candida release can affect the human body in hundreds of ways, and basically the culmination of all of these toxins have an astounding effect on all organs and parts of the human body from the brain to the liver, the endocrine system, the nervous system, and of course the skin as it is after all the largest organ in the human body. This is why detoxing the body and flushing the liver constantly is more important to the treatment than any of us can really imagine.

For all of this I would like to see both of you concentrate more on detoxing your body, if you are willing to try this.

Thomas a few days ago you mentioned that you couldn’t obtain alcohol-free bitters in Sweden, so I’m assuming that you’re not taking any type of liver flush.

Lucy, from what I recall you were taking grape bitters. Does your brand contain alcohol? If so, I’d like for you to cease taking it if you are. Either way, if you’ve been taking it all along, how much have you been using in one day?

One of the reasons that bitter herbs are recommended is their ability to flush out the liver in order to rid the body of the Candida toxins. If alcohol-free bitters cannot be obtained, bupleurum (Bupleurum aureum & Bupleurum longifolium) is a powerful detox herb which can be used in place of the bitters.

Bupleurum is most commonly used in traditional Chinese medicine to treat an entire list of medical conditions which includes liver diseases. In research, extracts from bupleurum exhibited strong anti-inflammatory and antiviral actions as well as being a potent inhibitor of Candida albicans. It’s actually used regularly to treat cirrhosis of the liver.

If either or both of you can find this herb, I think you might each benefit from its use.

Be sure to use this herb only as directed on the label as an overdose can cause problems such as constipation. Constipation is something that no one with a Candida infestation wants or needs.

If you cannot obtain bupleurum, look for any of the following herbs, all of which are good detoxing herbs.

Lemon grass
    Pot marigold
    Milk Thistle (I know you were already taking this, Lucy)
    Turmeric root
    Licorice root
    Dandelion root
    Uva Ursi
    Stinging Nettle

Of course, it goes without saying that when detoxing the body in any way, it’s imperative to drink enough water in order to keep the toxins that are being released washed from the body.

Sincerely hoping this can help you both.
    Able

Thomas
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 605

Dear Able!

thank you that you where thinking of us and making the effort to help us!
    My history of Swedish Bitter is this. I tried to find bitter without alcohol but didn’t find any. I bought then the herbs only and brewed tea from them. Somehow I had the feeling they smelled mould and I started to get afraid of them. Then I thought I cook the herbs for real and not only pouring water over them. So I boiled the herbs about 10 minutes. I then started to wonder if I kill all the good stuff in them while boiling them like crazy and bought a bottle of swedish bitter with alcohol. I read on the bottle that if one poures hot water over them the alcohol disappears. That was not true as I felt funny, like I would have been drinking a glas of wine after a teaspoon of that bitter.

Now I stopped them all together and you are right I have nothing.
    At the moment I have nothing which helps me with the detox. I only do the warm drinking water in the morning and Kefir drinking.

thank you for your great help!
    you are a blessing from God mate!
    yours
    Eckhardt

Thomas

Hi Able,

I tried to find the Herbs on the list but didn’t find a seller. Then I contacted a Chinese clinic in Stockholm and ask where I could by Chinese herbs. Here is what they wrote to me.
    ——————-
    Hi Eckhardt,

There is no chance that you can get Chinese herb only in Sweden.

Is it “cai hu” that you are looking for. The one that makes you sweat and used against fever? We have most of the herbs. I think we have everything but lemon grass. You can get lemon grass at the super market. Please get the pinyin name or Chinese character for us to be sure.

We sell herbs only to our patients with our diagnose. However if you already have a prescription, we can probably make an exception. Please email and let us know how much you want of each kind.
    ——————–

First off all do you know if Bupleurum is really Cai hu? Is there a possibility that you have the real Chinese names for the herbs. I really want to syncroniese the medication. If I get something wirred from them believing it is Bupleurum and it not you and I will never know where i get these wirred reactions from. 😉

thanks
    Eckhardt

Lucylu
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 345

Able,

Thanks for your thorough research and your observations.

Firstly an update – I concentrated on 2 things over the weekend – rest & detox. Once hubby got home Saturday I headed for the sauna and spent 2 hours relaxing, detoxing, reading, and had a long leisurely shower (not possible at home!!). Once home I went up to the attic room with a DVD, a good book, some lemon water and some ear plugs… and stayed up there from 8pm until 11am Sunday! On Sunday afternoon I had a 2 hour hot bath & relaxation time… during both the sauna & bath time I practiced meditation & visualisation (visualising a healing white light on my skin & belly). I have also set time aside for a sauna or hot bath each day this week and hubby is fully supportive of that time as being part of my treatment.

I also took a break from trawling this & other sites as I felt that my frustration at trying & failing to find a cure was absorbing all of my mental energy and therefore counterproductive. So apologies for not responding yesterday but I didn’t log on until this morning… and it was lovely to see a helpful positive message for my myself & Thomas!

And this morning my rash/ hives are sooooo much better it’s incredible! Still quite unsightly on my arms & legs but not uncomfortable at all. A very slight itch in places but when I’m busy I don’t notice it. My hands in particular are greatly improved and my face is nearly clear (although I’ve been using steroid cream & sunbed so my face has only briefly been very bad). As for the other symptoms… I haven’t had a headache or the irritability all weekend. My hand are only very slightly stiff but the skin on my knuckles is just dry and not cracked & bleeding like before. The biggest change is my mental state – I’m back on track with my positivity, I feel in control & happy and even feel the tiniest hint of a sex drive returning which is a nice novelty!!

I completely agree with your theory about the detox and it makes perfect sense. Before I started this cleanse & diet I had been drinking too much wine too regularly… I wasn’t a problem drinker as such but I had gotten into a negative cycle of drinking wine each evening to relieve stress which meant I didn’t sleep well, would wake groggy & irritable and that would add to my stresses the following day and so it would continue… As the candida took hold my cravings for alcohol increased and I began to worry that I did indeed have an “issue”. I was so relieved to read that candida itself causes alcohol cravings and I had no problem at all cutting it out once I started the diet. I didn’t even miss it.

So I’m guessing my Liver isn’t in the best shape and could do with all the help it can get. And I’ve seen all along the very close link between the detoxing & how I’ve felt. I’ve avoided most of the nasty die off symptoms like headaches and aches & pains (especially in my hands) and these only rear their ugly heads if I haven’t had a chance to sweat out the toxins for a few days.

Yes, I’ve been using Milk Thistle (tincture) every day. I also took a jar of tumeric but finished this a couple weeks ago and didn’t replace it. I will do so today. I’ll also look for what else I can find on your list. I haven’t seen Bupleurum before but then I’ve never looked for it. I’ve seen Licorice Root & Dandelion Root so will get those at the very least. From your post I see the Bupleurum is the bast but is there an order of effectiveness for the others? Or should i get as many of them as I can find and take them all?

I also have been drinking tap water for the most part but for the last few days have noticed a strange taste from it. I thought I was ok because we’re in the coutry and Irish Spring Water “should” have been flowing from our very taps! But just in case… I’ll stock up today on bottled water. It’s surprisingly expensive here so I’d been avoiding that expense so I could spend on all the supplements etc. I’ll make sure I drink litres of the stuff! I’m still drinking at least 8 large mugs of lemon hot water a day and have done since my cleanse.

I’m now looking forward to a nice Christmas and know (I have typed “hope” but then deleted it and replaced it with “know”) my skin & mental state will continue to improve even further day by day. I’ve spoken to my sister in law who’s hosting us Christmas Day and we have it all sorted between us as to what I can eat and what I’ll bring with me etc. I’m actually looking forward to a healthy christmas Day where I won’t eat & drink too much and feel groggy, hungover & bloated on Stephens Day (Boxing Day) – what a lovely thought!

Thanks again for your ongoing help. I can only imagine how much worse this would all be for myself & Thomas if we didn’t have you in our corner.

With much thanks,

Lucy x

Lucylu

Ooops, orgot about the bitters. I had been using Citradidal Grapefruit Seed Extract – an Irish brand made by the Aisling Foundation (www.aislingfoundation.com) and it contains liquid concentrate 33% vegetable glycerine grapefruit seed extract. No mention of either containing or not containing alcohol. I had been using it once or twice a day after larger meals but stopped it 3 weeks ago when I had a bad throat and sore tongue (spots at back on tongue). It was so sore using it on the already sore tongue that I took a break to allow my mouth to heal but never started it again. I just hate using it after a meal as it gets rid of any nice flavouors I’ve enjoyed… and it’s so hard to make a nice tasty meal with the limited ingredients we can use! But I obviously will start it again straight away if you think it will help – please advise.

Lx

Thomas

Hi Able,

is that the right kind?

http://www.anniesremedy.com/herb_detail417.php

I found another supplier but he sells it for horses. Are we talking here about a root or is it dried leaves? They have it again only mixed with alcohol! So I thought to buy the dried one, but they have it only in 500g.

thanks
    Thomas

Able900
    Spectator

Thomas wrote: Hi Able, is that the right kind?
    http://www.anniesremedy.com/herb_detail417.php
    I found another supplier but he sells it for horses. Are we talking here about a root or is it dried leaves? They have it again only mixed with alcohol! So I thought to buy the dried one, but they have it only in 500g.

Hello, Thomas.

Yes, Bupleurum and chai hu are the same herb. The dried herb is fine and would be a lot better than one containing alcohol. The link you posted contains the correct one.

Able

Able900
    Spectator

Lucylu wrote: Able …
    Thanks again for your ongoing help. I can only imagine how much worse this would all be for myself & Thomas if we didn’t have you in our corner.

You’re very welcomed, Lucy.

I am SO glad you were able to get that much rest over the weekend, and God bless your husband for being so understanding as far as being willing to help you with your treatment in the way he has. Please tell him that there is one American who is looking up to him this morning as a model husband.

Quote: “visualizing a healing white light on my skin & belly”

Lucy, that’s probably the wisest thing you’ve done yet as far as helping with your cure. Since you believe in this as I do, I would advise you to do this as often as possible throughout your day anytime and anyplace as long as you have a few seconds to concentrate and focus on your wellness.

As far as Bupleurum and the other herbs are concerned, I would start with the first one you can find. If you can find the Bupleurum right away, then of course start with this one, if not, use whichever you can find. Using them all eventually, meaning start with one and gradually add the others, is perfectly fine – just watch for an allergic reaction as you add each new one and allow enough time between adding them to note any changes.

By the way, Lucy, Citricidal Grapefruit Seed Extract is not a bitter herb which helps your body to produce its own enzymes and aiding digestion and flushing the liver. GSE is an antifungal just like oil of oregano and garlic. Please read the following information that I posted this morning for another member.
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postsm7660_how-to-take-Enzymes–Question-for-Raster.aspx#post7660

Thanks for letting us know how your weekend went, and I’m sincerely very happy about the improvements.

Able

Lucylu

Hi Able,

Right… I wasn’t able to find the Bupluerum yesterday but will go to a Chinese herbalist today. I have another accupuncture/ cupping session today but only booked it because I felt pressured into it last week – I’m torn as to whether to go or to cancel. If I go i’ll be able to ask about the Chai Hu.

What I did find was (all Solgar brand):-
    Dandelion Root
    Milk Thistle Dandelion Complex (which also has Turmeric)
    Uva Ursi & Juniper Formula (also has Buchu leaf, parsley, barberry root bark)

I know it would probably have been better to get each individual herb by itself but I kind of panicked and bought those 3! Each individual one is so expensive that I thought this would be the best way to get more of a range of them into me? Have I done the right thing?

**Rash Update** (dramatic intro music!!)
    I thought it was getting worse yesterday evening but it seems to go in a 24hr cycle. Looks far fainter and drier in the morning and by night when I’m hot & tired & stressed it’s darker & itchy. I didn’t manage a bath last night (was disgusted!!) because my son was acting up and both of us parents were needed to enforce the disciplinary action!! But this morning nonthelsess its fainter still and each hive on my hands is dried to nearly a scab. My face/ neck/ upper chest is still pretty much clear – and that’s the bit that’s seen most so I’m really happuy with that. I can’t see any dramatic imrpovements on the rest of my body yet but that rash came a few days later than the face/ hands and built gradually so I presume it will fade in that order.

I mentioned I took a couple of pictures of the rash on Saturday as I was going to try to send them to you. I didn’t manage it but it was handy this morning to take a look at the pic of my arms (which were the worst) and compare them to day – real improvement. I’m delighted i could compare because sometimes it’s hard to remember?

Question – As the steroid cream worked so effectively on my face – literally 2 very light applications… should I visit the doc and get a cream for the rest of me and use that to get rid of it once & for all? Just a thought! I know I’d prefer to handle it naturally but would 1 blast be ok? I don’t even know if such a thing exists as I’ve never had it before but I presume it does?

Able900
    Spectator

Hi, Lucy; I know that the steroids can bring some relief to the rash, but just keep in mind that all steroids are actually immune suppressants, so there’s of course the possibility that the ongoing use an immune suppressant can interfere with the healing process of a Candida infestation. Otherwise, I think that using the cream very rarely and not continuously during the worse part of the rash would be safe.

The mixture of the herbs supplement that you found shouldn’t present a problem.

Able

Lucylu

OK, thanks Able… I’ll see how it in the morning and then make a decision on whether to go to the doc or not. The friend who gave me the tiny bit of cream for my face is having a look to see if she has any other stuff that I could use elsewhere. I’m only talking about using it maybe twice, 12 hours apart and that should kick start it?

Lucylu

Update… in shorthand!

The rash isn’t much better… in fact it seems worse than yesterday morning – I must be still doing something to feed it as I’m going in circles.

I went to the sauna yesterday but didn’t feel the same relief as normal – was still uncomfortable, red & itchy last night.

I’m still getting a very strong mucus response to something – nose completely blocked, gunky, crusty (nice!) and I’m pretty sure I’m not eating anything I shouldn’t be. I eat Organic eggs, organic chicken, small amounts of wild salmon, avocado, onions, garlic, aubergine, broccolli, leeks, swede, coconut oil, olive oil – I’ve literally pared my diet right back to that just in case either the mucus or rash was being caused by anything in the bread like oat bran, flax, buckwheat. I’m not even hungry anymore… strange how your body changes.

I got hold of the end of a tube of steroid cream and put it on the rash last night & this morning.

I got my Molybdenum yesterday so took one last night & another this morning.

Right… what I’ve decided for the next few days (with your blessing!!) is to stop everything (Caprylic, garlic, oregano, all the new liver detox stuff, Cod liver oil, Solgar Mixed Vit, Vit C) and just take the Molybdenum (1), 150 bill probiotic (2) & Kefir (2). (Any of these you think I should leave in like the vit C?)

Then after 3 days introduce 1 thing at a time and see if I get a response to anything? I just think I’m bombarding my body with far too much all at once and it just isn’t coping. I introduced everything too fast and at max dosage (the usual impatient me wanting a fast response!). Seeing as I’m not getting any other candida or die off symptoms I should be safe to do this?

Should I stop the lemons (still having about 4 a day) just in case my body has decided it doesn’t like them? And just drink loads & loads of bottled water?

I’m going for a blast on the sunbed (not recommended) this morning and an hour in the sauna this afternoon.

Your thoughts please!

Lucy x

Thomas

Dear Lucylu,

Off course we will wait what Able will tell you but meanwhile I will share a short story of healing with you.

My wife was a long-time skin sufferer like you. She had atopic dermatitis.
    Check out if your skin looks like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atopic_dermatitis

When I met her 28 years ago she was 22 and had all her young life used cortisone, sometimes she was in hospital for light room treatment, salt bathing etc. Her skin felt like woollen sock. The fingers where crippled and deformed because of the much cortisone. The doctors said that it is a genetic sickness and nothing can change that.

Well, I come from Germany and organic food and healing was big back then. I bought a book about natural healing of atopic dermatitis. Started a food logbook and cooked for her in 2 years special meal. I started with having one week of water fasting. We started the fast when she was at her worst. Look the photos of the red arm with the scratch marks, it was just like that. Often in the morning our bed had blood stains because of the broken skin. After 3 days in the water only fasting time the aggressive itching calmed down. We where happy because we could see that it has somehow with food to do. Then the skin started to heal.

Now, we where not doing the candida diet. And so we started with boiled potatos and smashed with boiling water. Nothing more. She was eating that and her skin turned from red to white. Then the following week we added squash. Now she had for a week squash, potatoes and boiled water. We continued like this adding things and sometimes we got the wrong stuff and the skin exploded within minutes to an hour. Turning red, itching and breaking. But the big thing for her was the knowing that we always can go back to the list we created and then her skin would heal.

Today she is totally healed. She can eat everything. She only has to be careful with dish washing.

It would be a wise idea to start a own food journal. And taking it slow and easy so you know that you are doing. Adding one thing at the time. I do the same but I too have problems. I was expecting that it was as easy as it was with my wife. But in the fasting it got worse for me. I was surprised by this but I believe it had to do with the fact that my wife didnt have Candida and my fungus was dying in the fast and I experienced die-off. Then I was eating potatoes thinking what was good for my wife will be good for me and it didn’t work either. We all here know why. I got real desperate because nothing worked for me. Thanks to Able I know a lot more now.

Anyhow a foodjournal is my best bet in your situation and to take the food and additional stuff step by step in.

your brother in suffering
    Thomas

Lucylu

Thanks so much Thomas for sharing your wife’s story. My story before starting the candida diet was similar but I did it the other way round! I kept eliminating & eliminating foods that effected either my skin or my stomach and gradually worked out how to manage my skin condition. I went from being almost completely covered (and woke often with blood on the sheets from scratching at night, as you describe) to just having small patches on my elbows, knees & 1 thigh. If I go particularly stressed it would flare up and come elsewhere but I could get it under control quite quickly.

Within 2 weeks of starting the candida diet my skin was 100% clear and stayed that way until I poisoned myself with the wine nearly 3 weeks ago. So it may well still be the wine working it’s way through the system but I also scaled back on everything else to make sure I wasn’t adding to the problem.

I have never used cortisone on my skin until this very bad outbreak and only now because it was so unslightly on my face I literally couldn’t leave the house. Then when that worked so quickly I thought hey, why not use it on my body too… just a couple times? Anyway – I used it last night and again this morning. I also spent an hour in the sauna this morning and the rash on my hands and arms is much improved already. The dark redness has gone and it’s pale pink now and even silver in places so it’s definitely moving in the right direction.

As I said in my post I don’t think I’m eating anything at the moment that’s affecting it and my food journal really is what I listed above (I will certainly start one so that I can introduce foods & other supplements and track them, thanks for the suggestion). I think it’s more to do with all the pill & potions I’m taking! As I said before I’m impatient so anything I saw recommended I bought & started using it and perhaps didn’t ease my body into each new things in the way that Able recommends. So I’ve decided to start afresh… eat & take the bare minimum for 3 days and then start introducing again.

I hope you are making some small steps towards your recovery. I thank you for your continued support, my friend.

Lx

Thomas

Able900 wrote: A good day to you both, Lucy and Thomas.

After studying over and comparing your problems last night, I think the problems that both of you are experiencing are similar in one big way; that being, the basic nature of your problems are caused by toxins. I say this because, in the end, the toxins such as aldehydes which the Candida release can affect the human body in hundreds of ways, and basically the culmination of all of these toxins have an astounding effect on all organs and parts of the human body from the brain to the liver, the endocrine system, the nervous system, and of course the skin as it is after all the largest organ in the human body. This is why detoxing the body and flushing the liver constantly is more important to the treatment than any of us can really imagine.

For all of this I would like to see both of you concentrate more on detoxing your body, if you are willing to try this.

Thomas a few days ago you mentioned that you couldn’t obtain alcohol-free bitters in Sweden, so I’m assuming that you’re not taking any type of liver flush.

Lucy, from what I recall you were taking grape bitters. Does your brand contain alcohol? If so, I’d like for you to cease taking it if you are. Either way, if you’ve been taking it all along, how much have you been using in one day?

One of the reasons that bitter herbs are recommended is their ability to flush out the liver in order to rid the body of the Candida toxins. If alcohol-free bitters cannot be obtained, bupleurum (Bupleurum aureum & Bupleurum longifolium) is a powerful detox herb which can be used in place of the bitters.

Bupleurum is most commonly used in traditional Chinese medicine to treat an entire list of medical conditions which includes liver diseases. In research, extracts from bupleurum exhibited strong anti-inflammatory and antiviral actions as well as being a potent inhibitor of Candida albicans. It’s actually used regularly to treat cirrhosis of the liver.

If either or both of you can find this herb, I think you might each benefit from its use.

Be sure to use this herb only as directed on the label as an overdose can cause problems such as constipation. Constipation is something that no one with a Candida infestation wants or needs.

If you cannot obtain bupleurum, look for any of the following herbs, all of which are good detoxing herbs.

Lemon grass
    Pot marigold
    Milk Thistle (I know you were already taking this, Lucy)
    Turmeric root
    Licorice root
    Dandelion root
    Uva Ursi
    Stinging Nettle

Of course, it goes without saying that when detoxing the body in any way, it’s imperative to drink enough water in order to keep the toxins that are being released washed from the body.

Sincerely hoping this can help you both.
    Able

Able I found a supplier for Bupleurum in Sweden. Not the chinese doctor. He was terrible expensive. 200 gr for over 500 SEK!!! Now I found one who is much cheaper and I believe it is the same stuff the chinese doctor wanted to sell me.
    What they have is bupleurum chinense. He ask his supplier after Bupleurum aureum & Bupleurum longifolium but they had only the bupleurum chinense. Does it matter or are they all from the same family and have the same helping funktions?
    What do you think? I got now my Probiotics!!! I take one when I go to bed and one when I wake up and start the day. Should I take one in the middle of the day or are two enough? I drink Kefir in the daytime.

thanks
    Thomas

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Lucy and Thomas’ is closed to new replies.