LONG-TERM DIFLUCAN TREATMENT?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions LONG-TERM DIFLUCAN TREATMENT?

This topic contains 20 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  dvjorge 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

marxoxoshizzle
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 14

Hello everyone, I suffer from recurrent yeast infections due to what I am pretty sure is an overgrowth of Candida. I am curious if anyone here has ever been put on a long-term Diflucan treatment from their doctors. My OBGYN finally listened to me begging her to give me a longer treatment time, because I have read that many women are put on a 6 month long-term treatment of it, which I ASSUMED was daily…But my OB decided to give me 1 weekly for 6 months. I don’t feel like that is going to do anything, because usually I take one every day for 5 days and then the prescription is done.

I tried doing some Googling about how long anyone can take the treatment and I haven’t read anything about anyone taking it just ONCE a week for 6 months. However, this article I found says that many women find relief in a long-term treatment and that the recurrence rate is still 30%. Which sucks, but whatever. I am so tired of my OB, she doesn’t seem to get my issues and doesn’t care to help me. She told me last September, “We are going to have to give you the name of a holistic doctor, we can’t keep giving you Diflucan for the rest of your life.” Thanks, that’s a lot of help!!! -_-

SO while I was googling some junk I came across this website: yeastconsulting.com/

I went ahead and ordered the packet, the lady seems pretty legit, and I am going to try and schedule some phone conferences with her and see if she can refer me to a legitimate doctor who is qualified enough to treat me for Candida and also takes insurance.

Anyway my basic question here is has anyone ever taken Diflucan for several months, but every single day for months. And not just weekly. I know it’s harsh on your liver, but many people have taken it daily for long periods of time and did just fine with labs and monitoring of the liver.

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

marxoxoshizzle;53872 wrote: Hello everyone, I suffer from recurrent yeast infections due to what I am pretty sure is an overgrowth of Candida. I am curious if anyone here has ever been put on a long-term Diflucan treatment from their doctors. My OBGYN finally listened to me begging her to give me a longer treatment time, because I have read that many women are put on a 6 month long-term treatment of it, which I ASSUMED was daily…But my OB decided to give me 1 weekly for 6 months. I don’t feel like that is going to do anything, because usually I take one every day for 5 days and then the prescription is done.

I tried doing some Googling about how long anyone can take the treatment and I haven’t read anything about anyone taking it just ONCE a week for 6 months. However, this article I found says that many women find relief in a long-term treatment and that the recurrence rate is still 30%. Which sucks, but whatever. I am so tired of my OB, she doesn’t seem to get my issues and doesn’t care to help me. She told me last September, “We are going to have to give you the name of a holistic doctor, we can’t keep giving you Diflucan for the rest of your life.” Thanks, that’s a lot of help!!! -_-

SO while I was googling some junk I came across this website: yeastconsulting.com/

I went ahead and ordered the packet, the lady seems pretty legit, and I am going to try and schedule some phone conferences with her and see if she can refer me to a legitimate doctor who is qualified enough to treat me for Candida and also takes insurance.

Anyway my basic question here is has anyone ever taken Diflucan for several months, but every single day for months. And not just weekly. I know it’s harsh on your liver, but many people have taken it daily for long periods of time and did just fine with labs and monitoring of the liver.

The lady is awesome.! One of the very few candida pioneer expert still offering service. She is an authority about mycosis.

Soon, candida sufferers will have a book written by her.

I have taken Diflucan for months without any problem. Not only Diflucan but Ketoconazole medium/high doses for 3 months without any liver alteration. 500 mg of Ketoconazole diary.

Yes, you have to check your liver enzymes every 21 days, but it doesn’t mean they will be altered. I suggest you to take some natural liver support supplement, Lactoferrin 1 g a day, and Alpha Lipoic Acid 400 mg a day ( If you have dental amalgams, don’t take ALA ) These will protect the liver and lactoferrin has synergistic antifungal effects when mixed with Diflucan.

I don’t like the idea of taking low doses of Diflucan 1 a week, this may promote resistance. Dr. Crandall will agree with my opinion.

There are many combinations and treatments you can follow to treat a resistant or recurrent fungal vaginitis. Read the forum archives. You are going to find topics about it and many answers by me.

Jorge.

marxoxoshizzle

So glad to know that the lady isn’t a fake!!! I was a little skeptical because everything she seemed to say and claim she knew or could help with almost all sounds too good to be true.

So you don’t think that my taking the diflucan once a week for six months is going to work?? I don’t understand why my OBGYN is refusing to give it to me daily. She didn’t even order liver monitoring labs. All she did was send this prescription to my pharmacy. Am I going to have to ask someone else to give me the prescription daily??

Can you suggest these combinations/treatments I can follow to treat recurring vaginal yeast infections?? I have tried going through the forum for stuff but most of what I find is people seeking advice like myself, or people posting insane diet plans. Which I get the diets are important, but I simply cannot follow them. I have tried. I already weigh 98 pounds (I’m naturally thin and petite, only at 5’2 height) and I cannot live off of vegetables for months. The best I can do is have green smoothies, but even that requires fruits that are not recommended in the diet. So whatever.

I am going to try and schedule a phone call with Dr. Crandall and see what she has to say.

dvjorge
    Participant

marxoxoshizzle;53891 wrote: So glad to know that the lady isn’t a fake!!! I was a little skeptical because everything she seemed to say and claim she knew or could help with almost all sounds too good to be true.

So you don’t think that my taking the diflucan once a week for six months is going to work?? I don’t understand why my OBGYN is refusing to give it to me daily. She didn’t even order liver monitoring labs. All she did was send this prescription to my pharmacy. Am I going to have to ask someone else to give me the prescription daily??

Can you suggest these combinations/treatments I can follow to treat recurring vaginal yeast infections?? I have tried going through the forum for stuff but most of what I find is people seeking advice like myself, or people posting insane diet plans. Which I get the diets are important, but I simply cannot follow them. I have tried. I already weigh 98 pounds (I’m naturally thin and petite, only at 5’2 height) and I cannot live off of vegetables for months. The best I can do is have green smoothies, but even that requires fruits that are not recommended in the diet. So whatever.

I am going to try and schedule a phone call with Dr. Crandall and see what she has to say.

Call her.! Taking Diflucan one time a week isn’t going to work but to promote resistance. She is going to advice you a good plan.

Jorge.

marxoxoshizzle

I am sure this makes a difference Jorge, But I have a mouth full of dental amalgams…

Keya
    Replies: 68

marxoxoshizzle;53872 wrote: But my OB decided to give me 1 weekly for 6 months. I don’t feel like that is going to do anything, because usually I take one every day for 5 days and then the prescription is done.

My friend who is a doctor told me that they have it written in their manuals that recurrent yeast infections are treated with 1 pill of Diflucan over the course of 6 months. I assume your doctor just followed this manual, which doesn’t mean it’s correct or that it’s going to help, regarding the knowledge, or more correctly, lack of it, that doctors have about candida. I can’t advise you what to do, since I didn’t go through this therapy, I only had a therapy – 7 pills of Diflucan once a month over the course of 3 months. And it didn’t help 🙂 so I basically quit trying with Diflucan and went on alternative therapies – diet, supplements etc…

marxoxoshizzle

Keya, what type of yeast problems did you have? Do you also battle with recurrent vaginal yeast infections?? This is driving me crazy. I have a very understanding partner of almost 6 years who deals with my issues but it puts a strain on our relationship, and on my self esteem. I do not ever want to have sex or be intimate for fear of getting another infection. It used to be a few times a year, now it is every single time we have intercourse. I cannot deal with this anymore.

marxoxoshizzle

Jorge, I just thought you would like to know that I did end up calling Dr. Crandall. We spoke for nearly an hour and a half about my issue and she thinks I do not have systemic candida. She thinks I only have recurring yeast growing in the walls of my lady parts, and suggested that I contact my OBGYN once more and request a DAILY prescription of Diflucan for up to 6 months, like you said. She told me that, that combined with an internal medicine as well, she thinks I can beat this thing permanently.

So I am going to contact my OB again on Monday and see what happens, if not I’ll be seeking another OB to visit who will give me the prescription daily. I already knew deep down inside that once a week wasn’t going to cut it. I have had this issue for years and it is getting worse. Dr. Crandall does not think that I have a yeast allergy, since my problems only occur when I am having sex.

Either way I am going to try my hardest to eat well. And hopefully I can report back with results in half a year.

dvjorge
    Participant

marxoxoshizzle;53905 wrote: Jorge, I just thought you would like to know that I did end up calling Dr. Crandall. We spoke for nearly an hour and a half about my issue and she thinks I do not have systemic candida. She thinks I only have recurring yeast growing in the walls of my lady parts, and suggested that I contact my OBGYN once more and request a DAILY prescription of Diflucan for up to 6 months, like you said. She told me that, that combined with an internal medicine as well, she thinks I can beat this thing permanently.

So I am going to contact my OB again on Monday and see what happens, if not I’ll be seeking another OB to visit who will give me the prescription daily. I already knew deep down inside that once a week wasn’t going to cut it. I have had this issue for years and it is getting worse. Dr. Crandall does not think that I have a yeast allergy, since my problems only occur when I am having sex.

Either way I am going to try my hardest to eat well. And hopefully I can report back with results in half a year.

Great.!

You did the right thing. Keep contact with her. In case that you don’t respond to Diflucan, she is going to advice you another plan. You can not be on better hands, and I am sure you will resolve it. By the way, she is correct, you don’t have systemic candida.

Jorge.

marxoxoshizzle

dvjorge;53909 wrote: By the way, she is correct, you don’t have systemic candida.

Jorge.

I thought that I might because I did a lot of online questionnaires and my results were high. And I do have a terrible amount of fatigue for no reason at all. Also had blood work done that shows a high number of candida in my mucous membrane. But who knows. Id be happy just beating this.

Keya

marxoxoshizzle;53899 wrote: Keya, what type of yeast problems did you have? Do you also battle with recurrent vaginal yeast infections?? This is driving me crazy. I have a very understanding partner of almost 6 years who deals with my issues but it puts a strain on our relationship, and on my self esteem. I do not ever want to have sex or be intimate for fear of getting another infection. It used to be a few times a year, now it is every single time we have intercourse. I cannot deal with this anymore.

Yes, I have been having vaginal yeast infection for 5 and a half years. It’s not recurrent, it’s ongoing, sometimes it’s better, sometimes worse, but it never goes away…Here in Croatia doctors wouldn’t prescribe me such high dosage of Diflucan (one pill every day for 6 months), and I’m also worried that it would do harm to my liver…I’m going to try with S. Boulardii+candida diet this time, but if it doesn’t work, maybe I’ll also try with Diflucan, but lower dosage…

I totally understand you about you partner and your sex life, it’s really a torture, sometimes I lose hope that this aspect of my life will ever be normal again…

I wish you best of luck, and please write about your results with the treatment.

marxoxoshizzle

Keya, I suggest you read the website I linked in my original post, and read up on it. I ordered the informational packet and called the doctor. She told me she doesn’t think I have candida in my entire body due to the fact that the only place I have issues is in my vagina. She told me that the infection WILL be cured with proper treatment, which can only be done by taking diflucan for several months daily, and using terconazole internally, followed by clotrimazole internally. I believe you can beat this if you have the right treatment. Dr Crandall says my problem was I was never on diflucan long enough to cure the infection. Five days is not enough. That works for normal people who do not have an overgrowth problem. I showed her my blood test results, and she says the yeast is only growing in my mucous membrane in high amounts (the vagina). So I believe as long as I can get my OBGYN to send me a script for diflucan daily for six months or even three or something, I can beat this. I will report back.

Keya

marxoxoshizzle;53941 wrote: Keya, I suggest you read the website I linked in my original post, and read up on it. I ordered the informational packet and called the doctor. She told me she doesn’t think I have candida in my entire body due to the fact that the only place I have issues is in my vagina. She told me that the infection WILL be cured with proper treatment, which can only be done by taking diflucan for several months daily, and using terconazole internally, followed by clotrimazole internally. I believe you can beat this if you have the right treatment. Dr Crandall says my problem was I was never on diflucan long enough to cure the infection. Five days is not enough. That works for normal people who do not have an overgrowth problem. I showed her my blood test results, and she says the yeast is only growing in my mucous membrane in high amounts (the vagina). So I believe as long as I can get my OBGYN to send me a script for diflucan daily for six months or even three or something, I can beat this. I will report back.

Thanks, I’ll read the website. I’m going to a new gyno this week, so I’ll see what she’ll say about my problem, because so far no gynecologist didn’t know what to do with my issues…Here they don’t prescribe long-term Duflucan treatment so it could be a problem for me to get a prescription for it.

marxoxoshizzle

I understand you believe me. No gynecologist here knew what to do with me either. That’s why I had to call dr Crandall. She told me that in all the years she’s been treating people like us not one person has had issues with their liver. The best thing you can do so the doctors ass is covered is to suggest getting labs done every couple of weeks to see. I hope you do find a doctor who is willing to help you. Dr Crandall even suggested that I bring in her info packet to show the doctor, and also to give them her name and number because she will actually talk to them if they want to verify. You see doctors are only taught certain things and like Jorge said, your docs are probably going by their little manual on how much medicine to give you. I am hoping my Gyno will let me use diflucan daily. Otherwise I’ll be going to find another doctor myself.

mamasez
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

Hey ladies – I have similar issues and I just wondered how you’re both getting on? Any improvement with new plan/different docs?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘LONG-TERM DIFLUCAN TREATMENT?’ is closed to new replies.