Living in the Middle East…

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Living in the Middle East…

This topic contains 29 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  ThomasJoel2 5 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author

nour
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 12

Hi everyone,

I’m relatively new to the forum but been suffering from vulvodynia for the past year, which I think is due to a latent yeast infection without most of the usual symptoms. It won’t surprise you experts to know I’ve taken multiple rounds of antibiotics over the past four years from stomach bugs, UTI’s, and bacterial vaginosis. And almost around the same time the problems started (a year ago), I also started birth control, which I promptly stopped two months later because I noticed these problems coming up.

So now I’m on a relatively strict Candida diet, but I do eat things like oat bran, nuts and seeds, store bought plain yogurt, etc. I live in the Middle East and so it’s hard to find any of the high protein things that I CAN be eating, so those have become some staples to my diet. I also brought back the following supplements from the states and take them daily:

Grapefruit seed extract
    Unfiltered, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar (1-2 T in a cup of water 2-3 times daily)
    Colloidal silver (recommended by my naturopath)
    Fish oil (my triglycerides were really low when I got a blood panel a month ago)
    Kelp and Selenium (for thyroid, also came up on my blood results)
    85 billion probiotic
    Coconut oil (about 1T)
    Homemade kefir

I got kefir cultures when I was back in the states and now I make my own kefir, but with pasteurized cow’s milk because I can’t find raw. I can find the following acceptable grains here:
    Oat bran
    Millet
    Quinoa (but it’s almost prohibitively expensive)

I can’t find all the vegetables I’d like to at any given point, but I can always find enough. The chicken I eat is most likely not free range or organic or anything, but it’s the best I’ve got. Same with the eggs and yogurt.

I’ve been doing the diet now for three weeks (with one or two slip-ups) and I don’t feel any better. I really don’t want to cut out nuts, oat bran, or eggs because they’re a huge source of protein and fill me up. I’m not sure what other alternative I have, though, since there’s clearly something that’s still bothering my system. Or should I give it more time? The nuts that I DO eat I soak and roast, or soak and then make into nut milk, so that should eliminate molds, right?

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks for the help!

Tdog333
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 245

nour;53921 wrote: Hi everyone,

I’m relatively new to the forum but been suffering from vulvodynia for the past year, which I think is due to a latent yeast infection without most of the usual symptoms. It won’t surprise you experts to know I’ve taken multiple rounds of antibiotics over the past four years from stomach bugs, UTI’s, and bacterial vaginosis. And almost around the same time the problems started (a year ago), I also started birth control, which I promptly stopped two months later because I noticed these problems coming up.

So now I’m on a relatively strict Candida diet, but I do eat things like oat bran, nuts and seeds, store bought plain yogurt, etc. I live in the Middle East and so it’s hard to find any of the high protein things that I CAN be eating, so those have become some staples to my diet. I also brought back the following supplements from the states and take them daily:

Grapefruit seed extract
    Unfiltered, unpasteurized apple cider vinegar (1-2 T in a cup of water 2-3 times daily)
    Colloidal silver (recommended by my naturopath)
    Fish oil (my triglycerides were really low when I got a blood panel a month ago)
    Kelp and Selenium (for thyroid, also came up on my blood results)
    85 billion probiotic
    Coconut oil (about 1T)
    Homemade kefir

I got kefir cultures when I was back in the states and now I make my own kefir, but with pasteurized cow’s milk because I can’t find raw. I can find the following acceptable grains here:
    Oat bran
    Millet
    Quinoa (but it’s almost prohibitively expensive)

I can’t find all the vegetables I’d like to at any given point, but I can always find enough. The chicken I eat is most likely not free range or organic or anything, but it’s the best I’ve got. Same with the eggs and yogurt.

I’ve been doing the diet now for three weeks (with one or two slip-ups) and I don’t feel any better. I really don’t want to cut out nuts, oat bran, or eggs because they’re a huge source of protein and fill me up. I’m not sure what other alternative I have, though, since there’s clearly something that’s still bothering my system. Or should I give it more time? The nuts that I DO eat I soak and roast, or soak and then make into nut milk, so that should eliminate molds, right?

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks for the help!

I think your best shot is an elimination diet. It sucks for the time you do it, but it can help to narrow things down.
    I have a pretty big problem with nuts, even if i soak and roast them myself they still make me feel groggy and nasty.

I would cut out the dairy for sure, it gunks things up. The eggs and chicken might not be a bad idea to cut out either since they probably have a lot of antibiotics in them. It sucks when you have to cut out so much stuff but it’s totally worth feeling better. Just figure out what doesn’t set you off and eat more of that to compensate. For me oat bran works great, so i eat 2+ cups of it a day.

You definitely need to heal your thyroid as well, its good your getting more iodine and selenium. The thyroid helps modulate the immune system, so with the combo of antibiotics and a messed up thyroid I can see why you are having trouble clearing up infections. If you have a thermometer try taking your temperature right when you wake up in the morning and a couple times throughout the day for the next 3 days and write it down. I’m curious to see what it will be since your thyroid helps regulate body temperature.

nour

Re: Thyroid. Yeah, my naturopath said that my bloodwork showed my thyroid levels as unhealthy, so she told me to start the iodine and selenium. I will try to take my temperature over the next few days and I’ll let you know about what results I get.

For the elimination diet: Should I start out by just eating “allowed” vegetables from the allowed foods list? And then slowly add in supposedly allowed things like chicken, eggs, all that? Is there anything that I can eat alongside the vegetables from the start?

How long should I just do vegetables before I start adding things in? Should I also leave out tomatoes and nightshades and other things that that can also be allergy foods and then add them back in? And then, how long should I wait after adding something new before adding another new item? 48 hours or so?

Sorry, I understand the idea of an elimination diet, I’m just trying to figure out logistics, especially with my lifestyle here which is often subject to other people and what they feed me (I visit a lot of Arab families for my work, and will be traveling for the last ten days of February). I might have to wait until March 1st to start…

impossible
    Topics: 16
    Replies: 606

Do it just like you said, give it a week at least before you start adding other things in. Add in chicken first, you could probably get away with not eliminating it all, your choice. 48 hrs is a minimum, go longer if you can, up to 4 days. Rotate the veges the first few days. I for instance had a problem with kale and celery. Highly unlikely for most, but possible. Some people report feeling terrible for the first couple weeks on an elimination diet before feeling better than they had in years.

nour

Ok, I think I’ll probably do 3-4 days with just veggies, and then add in the chicken. Any other recommendations for protein, or things I should add in at the start? Here’s how I’m imagining it:

Day 1-4 just vegetables
    Day 4-7 chicken and vegetables
    Then every 3-4 days:
    Add in kefir?
    Start adding in the veggies that I left out, like tomatoes and red/yellow bell peppers
    Then eggs?
    Then coconut flour
    Then maybe oat bran
    Coconut milk?

And then maybe try out almonds or something? How does that sound?

Also, is it normal for symptoms to show up 2-3 days after eating something? On Friday I had some Chinese chicken that the waiter assured me was free of everything I told him I couldn’t eat, but I’m sure it had some sugar or something. And then it wasn’t until Sunday that I felt pretty shitty.

I’m still working on getting a thermometer so I’ll post that once I know.

ThomasJoel2
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 375

nour, here’s a link that describes how to interpret/track your temperature and how it can reveal information regarding the status of your adrenals/thyroid: http://www.drrind.com/therapies/metabolic-temperature-graph

If you had a reaction to the chicken it could have been due to the fact that it was inorganic. It could also have been due to the fact that most meat in restaurants is prepared with vegetable oil which many people like us have a problem with.

The elimination diet is a great idea. If I were to go back in time and do this over again that would be my strategy. It’s much easier, faster, and less painful doing that then slowly shrinking your diet and eliminating problematic foods one by one.

nour

Okay, so it took me a while to get a thermometer, but here are my results for those who are curious:

Friday, February 7, 2014 at 9:41 AM
    98.1º F
    Friday, February 7, 2014 at 12:24 PM
    97.0º F
    Friday, February 7, 2014 at 3:04 PM
    96.8º F
    Friday, February 7, 2014 at 8:34 PM
    97.6º F
    Friday, February 7, 2014 at 11:37 PM
    96.7º F

Saturday, February 8, 2014 at 10:06 AM
    98.1º F
    Saturday, February 8, 2014 at 1:07 PM
    97.4º F
    Saturday, February 8, 2014 at 9:47 PM
    96.7º F

Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 8:10 AM
    95.9º F
    Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM
    96.1º F
    Sunday, February 9, 2014 at 5:36 PM
    97.2º F

Monday, February 10, 2014 at 12:58 AM
    96.0º F
    Monday, February 10, 2014 at 7:11 AM
    96.8º F
    Monday, February 10, 2014 at 11:54 PM
    95.4º F

Tuesday, February 11, 2014 at 7:32 AM
    97.4º F
    Tuesday, February 11, 2014 at 3:32 PM
    96.6º F

I wasn’t able to be consistent about the times I took my temp, but at least I got minimum 2 readings each day. The temp does vary quite a bit throughout the day, and it’s often very low (95.4???). I’ve been reading Dr. Rind’s site that ThomasJoel sent me, which is really interesting. But I’m confused: how do thyroid and adrenal glands relate to Candida? Which should i focus on?

Tdog333
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 245

Your Thyroid and Adrenals look a bit off
    If they were working correctly you would have more consistent temperature readings.

Here is your average for each day.

Friday Feb 7: 97.5
    Saturday Feb 8: 97.4
    Sunday Feb 9: 96.4
    Monday Feb 10: 96.0

Did you do anything stressful sunday/monday? Physically, mentally, emotionally, etc.

If your thyroid were working 100% but your adrenals lacking your temp would be higher at times, around 98.6 but still with fluctuation.

If your adrenals were working 100% but not your thyroid, you would have a constant lower temperature.

If both are working great it should be a constant 98.6 or close to it depending on time of day and a couple other factors.

That’s what I think at least, I’m not a DR but hopefully that helps. The adrenals and thyroid seem to operate on a inverse relationship and can push each other out of whack if you supplement one too strongly.

nour

Well my weekend is Friday/Saturday, so my Sundays and Mondays are always a bit more stressful. Plus it’s the first week of work for me, and there’s been a lot to do, so yes, it’s been a bit stressful. I also notice that my temp when I wake up is much higher when I’ve slept for longer (9 hours on the weekend vs about 7 the past few days)

Is taking Iodine (kelp) and Selenium enough? What else can I be doing? Any other tips, or will my thyroid and adrenal just sort of get better as I start to heal from Candida (which will hopefully happen)?

Thank you!!

ThomasJoel2
    Participant

I agree with Tdog’s analysis. You would need to record for more days in order to be more sure, but the the fact that your temps are low and unstable indicate adrenal/thyroid issues. Your temps are actually pretty similar to what mine used to look like before I started supplementing for my adrenals.

One thing that you should know is that it’s always better to treat your adrenals before you work on correcting your thyroid. Try and get your temps more stable before you do any thyroid supplementation. I’m not a doctor so I’m not going to attempt to give you a super sophisticated explanation here, but basically the better your thyroid is functioning the more stressed your adrenals become. The one thing you do not want is to further stress your adrenals more than they already are. After treating your adrenals and stabilizing your temps you should feel significantly better than you do now.

I take adrenal cortex extract (ACE) and it’s by far the most important supplement I take. Without it, I’d probably feel like a zombie all the time. What it is, is basically crushed up adrenal glands from animals. The one I take is bovine source (from cows). To my knowledge it’s the most natural and safe method of stabilizing your adrenal glands. I highly recommend you try supplementing with it and see how you respond.

Here’s the brand I take: http://www.discountvitamins.pro/cytozyme-ad-60-tablets-by-biotics-research.aspx

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

The top foods I would worry about are the chicken and eggs. The eggs can benefit the yeast from my experience so if you were to reduce or not eat at all then you’ll likely notice improvement. Its an item that is a common allergen and my naturopath stated that it benefits the biofilms essentially. I personally only eat them on the weekends and with breads (for baking). When I removed them, I healed twice as fast…

Then there’s the chicken. If its not antibiotic free meat then its going to be a troublesome item in general. For a few weeks, I started to eat it for lunch from my cafe at work, and it gave me a horrible reaction. Started out at nothing and then I felt awful. It was the quality of the meat and the antibiotics…for alternatives I would look at almost any other meat that is antibiotic free. I don’t know if there is hunting in jordan, but wild game is something to consider as an alternative as well as other animals such as duck, goose, deer, goat, camel, etc. I don’t know what you can get where you live but just giving examples…the main ones to avoid are beef and pork because they generally cause constipation and excessive ammonia.

The next problematic item could be the oat bran. Oat bran contains gluten and may set you back from my experience. A great alternative is cream of buckwheat.

Also the kefir could be problematic, especially if it comes from cows milk. If the cow has taken antibiotics…same problem as the chicken. If you can get goat’s milk, it should be way way better and healthier in general.

I don’t know if you have local or farmers markets, but this may be a good way to access some of these items where you can talk to the farmer, etc.

Your diet sounds pretty simple but you should list everything if possible.

-raster

nour

Thanks raster and ThomasJoel. A couple questions:

-raster, would you also recommend an elimination diet to figure out what is setting me off? I can’t guarantee any ingredients in the meat or eggs that I eat so it might be a good way to see what in particular my body doesn’t like.

-I’m not sure I can get a hold of all the supplements I need to be taking. TJ- How often do you take the adrenal vitamins? And for how long? I have to think about how I can get supplies delivered to me here, and how much to order since I’ll be here until June.

-Lately I’ve been feeling absolutely exhausted and brain foggy up until evening. I’ve been sleeping 6-7 hours each night, which I know isn’t ideal but I shouldn’t be *this* tired.

My diet is something like this:

Breakfast:
    Always a glass of pasteurized cow’s milk kefir, “ripened” for at least 24 hours
    Either some scrambled eggs in coconut oil with or without veggies OR
    Oat bran with coconut milk and coconut oil OR
    (Up until recently)coconut bread with some sort of spread (oil, labneh, almond butter, etc)
    Supplements: Colloidal silver, probiotic (around 25 bil), selenium, iodine, GSE, fish oil
    Every other day: one a day multivitamin, biotin
    Occasionally: milk thistle, echinacea, lysine

Lunch:
    Usually a large salad with different kinds of lettuce (I can find romaine, arugula, chard, dandelion greens), tomatoes, cucumbers, onion, etc. PLUS a couple hard boiled eggs or chicken breast
    Supplements: probiotic

Dinner:
    Some sort of chicken(maybe 3x a week) with vegetables, varying but always using olive oil or coconut oil to cook, sometimes coconut milk as well
    Usually another glass of kefir
    Supplements: probiotics, GSE

Snacks:
    Cucumbers and other veggies, hard boiled eggs, coconut flour/oat bran/kefir bread(from the forum) with coconut oil. I was also eating nuts and seeds up until recently.

Up until last week I was also eating store bought plain yogurt and labneh (strained yogurt) but I cut those out. This week I’ve been having quite a few work lunches in which I’ve accidentally eaten a few bites of potato, or something with flour, or tahini. But before this week I had hardly any slip-ups but still wasn’t feeling any better. However, I have eaten BBQ chicken and ground beef from restaurants, which I’m sure is cooked with vegetable oil so that’s not good. I suppose I should not eat ANY food that I haven’t prepared myself?

Yesterday I switched out the GSE for NOW foods’ Candida Support supplements, twice a day

ThomasJoel2
    Participant

nour;54232 wrote: TJ- How often do you take the adrenal vitamins? And for how long? I have to think about how I can get supplies delivered to me here, and how much to order since I’ll be here until June.

I take 300mg ACE daily, which for the supplement of the link I posted is 3 pills in the morning and 2 at night. If you decide to try supplementing ACE make sure to work yourself up to your own personal dosage starting with just 1 pill a day. Every week or so you should increase the dose while monitoring your average daily temps and most importantly, how you feel. Once your temperature is pretty stable you would stay at the dosage for as long as you need to. Adrenal fatigue, much like candida, is a symptom of a greater underlying problem; keep that in mind.

nour

ThomasJoel2;54233 wrote: Once your temperature is pretty stable you would stay at the dosage for as long as you need to. Adrenal fatigue, much like candida, is a symptom of a greater underlying problem; keep that in mind.

How long is as long as I need? And what kind of greater underlying problem do you mean? Here I was thinking that Candida was the greater underlying problem…

Thanks for all your help!

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Actually if you have adrenal fatigue you could have a thyroid issue too and this is an underlying problem…its maybe the most important part of your immune system.

As far as elimination diet is concerned, I recommend trying it out. Try out a week with certain items and a week without certain items. Do one item at a time.

-raster

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Living in the Middle East…’ is closed to new replies.