Liver stress on the plan

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Liver stress on the plan

This topic contains 12 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Latka 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Konnor
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 6

Hi there,

Has anyone successfully negotiated liver trouble on this candida plan?

It’s quite literally a thorn in my side! When I’m more constipated/toxic I have a dull ache under the ribs on the right side. It’s slightly higher up than the abdomen. My liver enzymes also tend to come out high.

This has sabotaged my many efforts to get well. Liver supports herbs give me intolerable brain fog and ache, bitters give me constipation that remained after a weeks use at a low dose with other natural laxatives still being taken. Antifungals or probiotics that change the ecology of the gut and therefore back me up will make my liver feel worse. Vitamin supplements are often very stimulatory or not well tolerated, indicating a liver clearance issue.

My diet is very clean, and I’m only taking SF722, magnesium, vitamin C and trace mineral drops. I’m following a schedule similar to the McCombs plan. I sweat every day in an infrared sauna.

Symptom wise I have hypoglycaemia, insomnia, brain fog, gas, bloating, food intolerances, fatigue, liver ache, post nasal drip and skin pigmentation patches. I’ve been battling this for 4 years and would honestly say I’ve never successfully got onto a supplement schedule and maintained it longer than a few weeks due to adverse reactions, typically with my liver.

Anyone been through this and come out the other side?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello Konner,

Have you ever thought about trying acupuncture? Acupuncture alone can heal the organs and rebalance the body and its been a cornerstone of my treatment. It’s also great for detoxing.

I have a liver cleanse posted on the sticky and I recommend it as a final cleanup measure.

I also have a post on the forum a few pages back where I listed a whole bunch of liver supplements. Liverplex, black walnut extract, juniper, milk thistle, and a whole bunch of other herbs can heal the liver. There is a lot to do with this topic and feel that it is a very important way to recover.

How come you’ve fought this off for 4 years without much progress? What have you been doing this whole time and what kind of diet have you been doing? What supplements are you taking? There’s room for improvement if you can share your story…we developed a forum protocol if you are interested in checking it out:

Have you ever tried a strict diet? Have you ever tried HMF neuro or megaflora?

https://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1334_From-Able-and-Raster-The-Protocol.aspx

-raster

Latka
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 128

Hi Konnor,

For hypoglycaemia have you tried McCombs blood sugar balance protocol? Basically eating a little something (i.e. 1/3 of a stick of celery) every hour in order to keep the blood sugar levels balanced. Could help with some other symptoms too, such as brain fog. Has for me at least.

Besides for having to detoxify all the toxins the liver can be under enormous stress if the glygocen stores are low. This can be caused by not eating often enough, in which case the blood sugar balance protocol can already help. Or it can be caused by not getting enough carbohydrates; in this case the already burdened liver has to convert protein into useable glygocen and this can cause further stress.

Are you sure you have Candida overgrowth?

I am someone for whom no Candida plan ever worked, I only kept getting worse and worse on it. It seems to me that while there are many digestive disorders out there the doctors are clueless about what they are or what to do about them; some doctors deny that Candida overgrowth can even exist, which is as big a problem as the doctors that in the lack of knowing what else to do, diagnose every digestive disorder as “probably Candida”. It seems to me that if after 4 years you are no better you will have to question whether keeping on doing the same thing is helpful at all? As frustrating as it is you will probably need to keep searching for your own solutions.

My solutions were actually the opposite of what I had been told to do; for example, strong probiotics made me more bloated and constipated. I stopped taking them a while ago and have been able to lessen the bloating problem. I have no idea why this is and it goes against everything I’ve been told, but in my desperation of not knowing what else to do anymore I had to try something. I think it is important to remember that it is always a question of finding balance and doing too much of something (even if it is something good like the good bacterias) can be harmful if it tips over the balance. Take saunas and sweating for example; while I know it is a very important part of detoxing, isn’t it possible to overdo it as well? In my case what made my constipation worse was messing up with the electrolyte balance by taking colonics, daily saunas to sweat and then on top of everything drinking loads of water to just flush my body. I am not saying you need to stop taking saunas, as obviously you will need to help your liver to detoxify, but maybe you need to consider whether you would need to consume more salt due to the excessive sweating.

If the plan isn’t working, keep researching, questioning, evaluating everything. Hope you find some solutions!

Konnor

raster wrote: Hello Konner,

Have you ever thought about trying acupuncture? Acupuncture alone can heal the organs and rebalance the body and its been a cornerstone of my treatment. It’s also great for detoxing.

I have a liver cleanse posted on the sticky and I recommend it as a final cleanup measure.

I also have a post on the forum a few pages back where I listed a whole bunch of liver supplements. Liverplex, black walnut extract, juniper, milk thistle, and a whole bunch of other herbs can heal the liver. There is a lot to do with this topic and feel that it is a very important way to recover.

How come you’ve fought this off for 4 years without much progress? What have you been doing this whole time and what kind of diet have you been doing? What supplements are you taking? There’s room for improvement if you can share your story…we developed a forum protocol if you are interested in checking it out:

Have you ever tried a strict diet? Have you ever tried HMF neuro or megaflora?

https://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst1334_From-Able-and-Raster-The-Protocol.aspx

-raster

I guess now would be a good time to share my story.

I’m 27 years old and as mentioned have been suffering for about 4 years.

I grew up with some fairly common ailments but generally was in okay health. I was born premature with jaundice but recovered fine. I had mild asthma growing up which prompted the occasional use of an inhaler. I developed acne on my chest and back in my early teens for which I used antibiotics daily for about 10 years (alternative medicine doctors have an easy job when they clock that, must be candida!…).

I was generally fine in my late teens and through university. Was eating typical crap, probably more crap than most as I never put on any weight and remained slim. Wrongly figured this meant I was immune to the effects of a poor diet. Then in my early 20’s I noticed I was developing an addiction to carbohydrates. It was often all I ate during the day. With that came blood sugar swings that resulted in hypoglycaemia. I had no idea what was going on at the time and just continued to eat junk whenever I felt ‘shaky’.

I then developed chronic post nasal drip. I went to see the ENT who prescribed numerous steroidal nasal sprays that all did nothing. He decided on recommending surgery to remove my adenoids without a real reason behind what was happening besides inflammation. As my hypoglycaemia was becoming pretty prominent at the time, I decided against surgery until I had more idea why my general health was declining. I took my search online and discovered reactive hypoglycaemia and switched up my diet to a healthier variant but still predominantly carbs. Consisted of lots of things like brown rice pasta, spelt bread, buckwheat pasta etc. My cravings for junk reduced a little bit but I was on a pretty tight 2-3 hours schedule of needing to eat. I did this for maybe a year.

Then I stumbled across the natural health world and all it’s possible ailments – Candida, adrenal fatigue, leaky gut, sluggish liver etc. It offered me some hope but I didn’t know which direction to take. Everybody I saw had a different opinion and tests were inconclusive (and bloody expensive). I tried to start numerous protocols but was never able to stick to them, either due to too strong an adverse reaction or my own self sabotage. My digestive symptoms at the time were now quite prominent – constipation, food intolerances, gas, bloating, undigested food in stools. For a long time I settled on an adrenal fatigue diagnosis. This ‘top down’ approach seemed the safest and I was holding onto the fact there was strong link to being the cause of my hypoglycaemia.

So I tried the different supplements, really tried but had stimulatory reactions to all of them. Liposomal vitamin C, B vitamins, glandulars etc. I tried these all in minute doses. They made me extremely wired, particularly the liposomal vitamin C. It felt like rocket fuel! I was still working with a practitioner at the time (Dr Lam) who just gave me advice to reset by going off the dosages then trying again. I never got onto a protocol that I could stick to and wasn’t digesting my food properly anyway. I’ve always wrestled with the chicken and egg question regarding my health – Is my digestive tract causing the problems elsewhere in my body? Or are weak adrenals, weak immune system causing pathogens to thrive? Either way the protocol wasn’t working and was costing me a fortune.

After this, maybe 2 years into my health trouble I experienced my first ‘twinge’ with my liver. For some reason, when I started taking ‘oxy-powder’, I started to feel an ache in my liver. I discontinued use and started taking milk thistle (I wasn’t as sensitive at this time) and it reduced a little bit but never went away. I went back to conventional doctors and sure enough my liver enzymes came out high. From that they decided to do an ultrasound scan which showed no abnormalities and I requested an endoscopy (I have private health insurance here in the UK). I decided against requesting a colonoscopy as I wasn’t sure how I would do the clear liquids bowel prep with hypoglycaemia. I’ve also never experienced blood in my stools to suggest something more serious. The endoscopy came out clear. I then had to go back to natural medicine as I was getting nothing from orthodox doctors. This was maybe a year ago.

I learned of the paleo diet and GAPS diet and began to try and implement them. GAPS in particular was what I was most interested in as it looked like the most comprehensive diet for digestive healing. Unfortunately I really struggled with the healing components of the plan – bone broth, fermented vegetables, fermented dairy. I had (have) a real problem with fermented foods. They give me intense brain fog and cravings that don’t abate with time. I suspect this is a histamine problem.

I eventually gave up on that and decided to do a stretch with no supplements but still quite a tight diet. This was up until about 1.5 months ago. This was an important period for me as I had become consumed by my health journey. Neglected friends and hobbies and really had no life. I felt ill but stable enough to get on with life and took up salsa dancing which has since become a major passion of mine, went out with friends, met a girl (didn’t last..) and managed to engineer myself into a position to be offered a new job. I also decided to purchase a house. I hadn’t experienced any true healing, was merely getting on with things and this mindset helped. However I was also ‘enjoying’ having a social life and had an occasional drink from time to time and strayed from the diet.

Then things collapsed about 1.5 months ago. My spirits were still high having completed on my brand newly constructed house. I went home for a meal with my family in a restaurant and was exposed to a gas leak. I started to feel really breathless but managed to hide it for the evening. I assumed it would pass but it has stayed with me. No-one else seemed affected. When the builders had finished with the last aspects of the house – The vinyl, carpet and laminate floor, I started to become chemically sensitive to my environment. Whenever I stayed in my house for any length of time I experienced crushing brain fog and fatigue. I couldn’t function and this feeling stayed with me for days after. I couldn’t live there and was crushed. To get the house ready for occupancy I had to visit the house on and off for the past month or so. This has been crippling. Each exposure has set back my health and seemingly added to a permanent strain on my body, even though I no longer need to spend time there.

That brings me up to the present day. I was forced out of my ‘safe’ rental accommodation and am staying in my friends flat. I start the new job I mentioned earlier in possibly the worst health of my life on Monday. I’m desperately trying to return to a period of stability and my environment has been the number 1 focus, however my health has been knocked back. The defining symptom that is making life extremely difficult is breathlessness, a feeling you can’t catch your breath. This symptom is on and off most of the time, and started back in that restaurant.

All present symptoms are as follows….

– Bouts of breathlessness
    – Brain fog
    – Hypoglycemia (currently controlled with a ketogenic diet)
    – Liver ache
    – Constipation
    – Post nasal drip
    – Fatigue
    – Insomina
    – Depression (you can see why!)
    – Acne
    – Dark circles under eyes
    – Skin pigmentation patches
    – Joint ache
    – Food intolerances
    – Gas
    – Bloating
    – Undigested food in stools

Diet is mostly meat, fish, good fats and green veg. I have genuine intolerances to egg, dairy and nightshades, and struggle digestively even with aids with starch, fruit and grains.

Supplements I’m taking are….

– Thorne research SF722
    – Thorne research betaine HCL
    – Nutricology ox bile
    – Solgar vitamin C
    – ConcenTrace Trace Minerals

So I thought I would try the McCombs plan as it uses minimal supplements, is a plan that you can focus on as I struggle with self navigating and the sweating offers an alternative detox to my liver which is clearly flagging. I’ve found the sweating on occasion tough on my body though, often increasing my feelings of breathlessness.

Happy to hear any thoughts.

Konnor

Latka wrote: Hi Konnor,

For hypoglycaemia have you tried McCombs blood sugar balance protocol? Basically eating a little something (i.e. 1/3 of a stick of celery) every hour in order to keep the blood sugar levels balanced. Could help with some other symptoms too, such as brain fog. Has for me at least.

Besides for having to detoxify all the toxins the liver can be under enormous stress if the glygocen stores are low. This can be caused by not eating often enough, in which case the blood sugar balance protocol can already help. Or it can be caused by not getting enough carbohydrates; in this case the already burdened liver has to convert protein into useable glygocen and this can cause further stress.

Are you sure you have Candida overgrowth?

I am someone for whom no Candida plan ever worked, I only kept getting worse and worse on it. It seems to me that while there are many digestive disorders out there the doctors are clueless about what they are or what to do about them; some doctors deny that Candida overgrowth can even exist, which is as big a problem as the doctors that in the lack of knowing what else to do, diagnose every digestive disorder as “probably Candida”. It seems to me that if after 4 years you are no better you will have to question whether keeping on doing the same thing is helpful at all? As frustrating as it is you will probably need to keep searching for your own solutions.

My solutions were actually the opposite of what I had been told to do; for example, strong probiotics made me more bloated and constipated. I stopped taking them a while ago and have been able to lessen the bloating problem. I have no idea why this is and it goes against everything I’ve been told, but in my desperation of not knowing what else to do anymore I had to try something. I think it is important to remember that it is always a question of finding balance and doing too much of something (even if it is something good like the good bacterias) can be harmful if it tips over the balance. Take saunas and sweating for example; while I know it is a very important part of detoxing, isn’t it possible to overdo it as well? In my case what made my constipation worse was messing up with the electrolyte balance by taking colonics, daily saunas to sweat and then on top of everything drinking loads of water to just flush my body. I am not saying you need to stop taking saunas, as obviously you will need to help your liver to detoxify, but maybe you need to consider whether you would need to consume more salt due to the excessive sweating.

If the plan isn’t working, keep researching, questioning, evaluating everything. Hope you find some solutions!

I really can sympathise with this response. I too struggle to accept everything under the ‘Candida Umbrella’, but I’ve had nothing from doctors or alternative practitioners and my tests have showed me nothing. Even with the symptoms mentioned above an adrenal stress test last year came out perfect! And yes it might be easy to suggest there is a strong psychological component to my poor health, but why, when I had learned to manage my illness and was able to get on with life did I experience another dip out of the blue.

It sounds like you know a little about carbohydrates. Have you read much paleo material? Many experts say low carb diets are a ‘stress’ to the body, particularly the thyroid over time. I’ve never had an adverse thyroid test. My problem is both digesting them, and the brain fog and re-emergence of hypoglycemia that inevitably follows. I know there is an adaption period both transitioning onto a low carb diet, and off again but I have never succeeded in reintroducing them without being worse than before. I am in ketosis and effectively have no blood sugar issues but of course am worried about the long term effects.

I’m not sure if I have candida specifically, merely that I have some significant gut dysbiosis. I did a metametrix stool test that didn’t show yeast or pathogens being too high, and only showed H pylori as being a problem. I struggle to comprehend H Pylori is the only cause of all my trouble. Something more prominant must be causing my constipation, inability to digest starch, intense brain fog when eating eggs or nightshades, feelings of fermentation when eating fruit etc etc.

My intuition tells me my gut is a mess, I’m toxic and my liver is struggling to detox. My adrenals are no doubt playing a part as well. What I should be looking at as the cause I don’t know. Alternative practitioners probably see $$ signs when I walk in the door and explain my story. There is so much in my story to tinker with so they can offer their own spin, and hundreds of supplements they could recommend if gut, liver and adrenals are the problem.

I have never been able to stick to anything long enough for it to potentially help me. I’d like to commit to the McCombs plan if I can which will mean going through some die off and not giving up. Even though it is a plan which he sells, he seems genuine in trying to stick to the research. I like that his diet isn’t too dogmatic, especially when it comes to carbs. I do have to be careful with the sauna’s though as I’m fragile and like you say I don’t want to worsen the situation. I do use Iodised Table Salt with my food and trace minerals so would hope I’m not experiencing electrolyte issues. I have craved salt in the past which reaffirms an adrenal link of some sort. The water intake is something to bear in mind as in order to swallow all the pills you do end up drinking allot. Add to that tea throughout the day and it might be easy to overdo.

I’ve already lost some of the best years of my life and am desperate to get well but am in a horrible spot. Even 30% improvement would be good enough to live with!

Do you have your health journey posted anywhere?

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Try eating enough protein and carbs so that your liver doesn’t have to do any unnecessary conversion. Eating something carby around bedtime can help minimise the work the liver needs to do overnight. This might be especially important if you can’t store glycogen in your liver well (hypoglycaemia may be a sign of this). Once those reserves are depleted, the liver has to begin converting proteins and fats into glucose until you wake up, which requires stress hormones. Do you have any sleep issues at all?

High levels of o/estrogen and endotoxin (bacterial junk) can tax the liver too. If you’re eating a high-fibre diet, you’ll be feeding a lot of bacteria and creating a lot of endotoxin. O/estrogen can come from hormonal imbalances, birth control pills, cosmetics, soy and legumes etc. If candida is an issue, it also produces the potent form of o/estrogen, o/estradiol. Your liver has to detox both of these and they can cause all sorts of problems in excess. A better approach may be to eat foods that promote beneficial bacteria, but in moderation. I don’t think benefits are dose-dependent as long as nutrition and food quality is good.

They’re just a couple of things that came to mind. Like Latka said, you need to keep investigating and taking nothing for granted. I’m sure the list of things that affect liver function is much longer than this.

Latka

I don’t know if I know that much about carbohydrates but I have learned that they are at least a crucial part of my own health puzzle. I went very low carb earlier on this year and it had disastreous effects on my health (I already am hypothyroid and low carb made everything worse). As I kept researching more, I found that low carb can in deed be very stressful for the body and that many of my new and worsening symptoms were caused by this. I had to introduce carbs back. I can’t help but wonder: in the case of someone who has blood sugar issues and whose liver is already burneded and struggling to convert proteins and fats into glugose, isn’t it possible that not giving the body carbohydrates could actually create even more stress? Just a thought.

There might be nothing wrong with your adrenals as such; it might be a case of them not getting what they need in order to fucntion. Blood sugar issues might have something to do with this.

Yes, transitioning off from low carb can be rough. It’s best to start easy and go slow. Some people say you need to combine the carbs with protein to make it easier (I’ve noticed no effect though). Trying the McCombs blood sugar balance plan might also help. I started doing it a little over a week ago: I eat a stick of celery or carrot every hour in order to regulate the blood sugar levels throughout the day. It’s worked for me at least: I no longer have any hypoglycemic reactions and my carb tolerance has increased. Other than that I go easy on the starches as I find them hard to digest. Buckwheat is ok for me (especially if I make sure I eat it with saturated fat, i.e. butter or coconut oil). And I tend to eat fruits on their own as mixing them with other foods doesn’t seem to work that well for me.

It seems to me that hypoglycemia and constipation could be problems that are then causing a host of other problems. If the blood sugar levels swing up and down this will have an effect on the hormonal balance and how the glands such as adrenals can function. Constipation on the other hand means that things stay too long in the gut fermenting and thus possibly feeding the bacteria and fungus, and creating a suitable environment for overgrowth. If you could somehow regulate the blood sugar levels as well as improve the digestion and transit time, you would probably already solve a lot.

p.s. I don’t have my health journey posted any where (as my journey is still ongoing)

Konnor

My hypoglycaemia feels more stable on low carb and I wouldn’t say everything else drastically declined at the same time. But yes maybe it could be causing some longer term damage which is becoming more and more apparent.

What sort of digestible carbs are you eating day to day? Do you have a rough idea of how many grams you are consuming? 60 tends to be the threshold for ketosis. In fruit terms that would be 3 apples which I know my gut would struggle with. For starch it would be less but I’m in the same boat in being unable to digest it very well.

I tend to get brain fog and tiredness when reintroducing carbs. Maybe I need to push through this. I tried white rice in small amounts for 2 weeks and felt horrible! Hoping the plan will helps with my constipation but 8 days in its not looking good!

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Carb avoidance is a band-aid really. It doesn’t address the issues that have screwed your glucose metabolism. Sugar is made out to be the cause of all evil, but it’s the very fact that diabetics can’t use it that causes their problems – their cells are screaming out for sugar! Chronic hypoglycaemia can lead to a long list of symptoms, and it could explain many of your other problems. When the cells are starved of glucose, thyroid hormone can’t do its work, and that can lead to all the symptoms of hypothyroidism, even if your thyroid is in great shape. This is commonly a problem in diabetes. Calorie restricted, and sometimes carb restricted diets, can have a similar effect.

In any case, your liver has to work when you don’t eat carbs. Your body needs hundreds of calories of glucose every day, and it’s your liver that has to convert the (mostly) protein. If you don’t eat all the protein necessary to cover glucose needs, muscle will be broken down. Stress hormones initiate the conversion process, so they generally remain high. Carnivores live on this kind of metabolism, and they happen to have much bigger livers than us!

Fruits can be easily digested, but fructose malabsorption can be another issue that’ll cause digestive distress. They need to be nice and ripe too. Starch needs to be well cooked and eaten with fat. No one can really tell you what to eat. You need to experiment and find the foods that don’t spike your blood sugar and don’t give you bloating. Trying to balance carbs/fat/protein in smaller, more frequent meals to begin with might be helpful. If you’re in ketosis, your insulin sensitivity will be zero, so you need to gradually increase to your desired level. It may even take a month or two to normalise blood sugar.

I’m fairly new to all this metabolism stuff, but it’s well worth looking into. People think increasing sugar intakes explain diabetes and similar disorders, but they don’t take the simultaneous decreasing mineral/vitamin intakes into account and the countless other diet/lifestyle factors. Chromium, for example, is crucial to glucose metabolism. I’d never even heard of it until recently. Do you think people pounding Cokes and Cadbury’s chocolate-like vegetable oil and refined sugar concoction are augmenting their chromium adequately? This is just one example. Be sure to eat nutrient-dense foods and don’t give up investigating.

Latka

I don’t actually know how many grams of carbs I eat. Just eating carbs, and in general eating more, made a huge difference to me. But in my case I was lead to try this as I experienced a huge decline while on the low carb diet. I did start with juicing though and this might explain why introducing the carbs went so well; I have noticed that even now if I eat a lot of raw carrots in one go, I struggle a bit. I’m guessing that this might be caused by the fibre in the carrot as juicing the same amount of carrots and drinking them is fine – just a guess. Other than that I don’t eat a lot in one go, but rather eat often and small amounts.

Here’s an estimate of what I consume on a day (none of this approwed on the strict Candida diet, mind you): approximately 2-3 apples, 1-2 oranges, 5 carrots, 2 dl berries (strawberries/blueberries/black currants), 1-2 bananas, sometimes some grapes as well, and trying to have 1-2 dl of buckwheat (but this is not every day). And some days sweet potatoes and beetroot(1-2dl). Not sure how much that makes in grams. It’s a lot more than I ate before and most of these items I did not have at all in over a year. But in my experience this is working for me so I’ll continue.

If you want to try the blood sugar regulation plan of snacking every hour but are worried about too much carbs, you can always do it with less sugary items such as celery. You will have to experiment a bit for yourself to see what might work.

For constipation, did you ever try the gaps smoothie with juiced veggies and fruits, a raw egg and sour cream taken first thing in the morning?

Konnor

Ah okay, so your doing a reasonable amount of fruit for carbs. Looks like a moderate carb diet.

Any gut issues from reintroducing the fruit? The school of thought and my experience is that having protein with carbs and fat tends to slow the swings in blood sugar, but will be harder on digestion. Eating fruit alone is better for digestion but will spike blood sugar. A catch 22.

I haven’t done that gaps smoothie due to problems with eggs and dairy.

How often do you eat?

(what does ‘dl’ stand for?)

Konnor

Javizy wrote: Carb avoidance is a band-aid really. It doesn’t address the issues that have screwed your glucose metabolism. Sugar is made out to be the cause of all evil, but it’s the very fact that diabetics can’t use it that causes their problems – their cells are screaming out for sugar! Chronic hypoglycaemia can lead to a long list of symptoms, and it could explain many of your other problems. When the cells are starved of glucose, thyroid hormone can’t do its work, and that can lead to all the symptoms of hypothyroidism, even if your thyroid is in great shape. This is commonly a problem in diabetes. Calorie restricted, and sometimes carb restricted diets, can have a similar effect.

In any case, your liver has to work when you don’t eat carbs. Your body needs hundreds of calories of glucose every day, and it’s your liver that has to convert the (mostly) protein. If you don’t eat all the protein necessary to cover glucose needs, muscle will be broken down. Stress hormones initiate the conversion process, so they generally remain high. Carnivores live on this kind of metabolism, and they happen to have much bigger livers than us!

Fruits can be easily digested, but fructose malabsorption can be another issue that’ll cause digestive distress. They need to be nice and ripe too. Starch needs to be well cooked and eaten with fat. No one can really tell you what to eat. You need to experiment and find the foods that don’t spike your blood sugar and don’t give you bloating. Trying to balance carbs/fat/protein in smaller, more frequent meals to begin with might be helpful. If you’re in ketosis, your insulin sensitivity will be zero, so you need to gradually increase to your desired level. It may even take a month or two to normalise blood sugar.

I’m fairly new to all this metabolism stuff, but it’s well worth looking into. People think increasing sugar intakes explain diabetes and similar disorders, but they don’t take the simultaneous decreasing mineral/vitamin intakes into account and the countless other diet/lifestyle factors. Chromium, for example, is crucial to glucose metabolism. I’d never even heard of it until recently. Do you think people pounding Cokes and Cadbury’s chocolate-like vegetable oil and refined sugar concoction are augmenting their chromium adequately? This is just one example. Be sure to eat nutrient-dense foods and don’t give up investigating.

I’m not sure what has screwed up my glucose metabolism. Carbs started the rollercoaster that I couldn’t even control with healthy carbs.

I see what you’re saying. I don’t want to live on this diet forever, even if my health was good. Maybe a long incremental period of carb reintroduction is something I should look at. Whether this will resolve the digestive stuff I’m not sure.

Latka

My gut issues got a lot better with fruits actually: lessened bloating and gas, no more constipation. No blood sugar spikes as far as I can tell (none of the shaking hands and faintness that I recall). It’s really gone so well which is almost ironic considering how I had been avoiding fruits like poison for a year before. And now it seems like fruits are the only thing I can digest without worries. Then again it was always the starches that were my problem.

Right, if you have problems with eggs and dairy the gaps smoothie would not be for you. But I think her point with it was that in case of severe constipation increasing fat consumption can help, and that could be coconut oil as well. But I guess if you have been doing low carb/paleo your fat consumption is considerable already.

Up until a week ago I ate 5 times a day but I often felt that between meals my energy levels just crashed and I was very hungry all the time. That’s why I decided to try the blood sugar balance protocol. I now eat every hour: first breakfast, then an hour later a small snack of say 1/2 carrot or 1/3 celery; I keep snacking every hour until lunch and then again until dinner. I think McCombs says to keep eating at least every hour up until bed time but after dinner I usually forget. Though I do eat something carby (a carrot or 1/2 banana) just before going to sleep as I feel it helps me to sleep better. So I eat often (feels like all the time!) but mostly small portions (besides for the meals). My digestion seems to accept it and my blood sugar levels are more stable. I’m not constantly hungry anymore. I don’t plan to go on living like this forever but hope to stabilise things over time and then I’ll try something else.

dl stands for desiliter (sorry, forgot not everyone uses that). 2 dl is about 1 cup roughly.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Liver stress on the plan’ is closed to new replies.