- June 18, 2013 at 2:34 am #106396
yogajediMemberTopics: 29Replies: 43
I forgot to write the exact amounts down while I was preparing this. I’ll do that next time, but these are estimates. Just taste it before “breading” the onion rings.
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup coconut flour (think “coconut shrimp” flavor”)
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1.5 tsp sea salt
2 tsp paprika (anyone know if smoked paprika is candida-safe? If so, use this!)
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp oregano (dried)
1-2 tsp thyme (dried)
1/2 tsp cayenne, or to taste
1/2 tsp black pepper
one pinch stevia (or to taste, depending on what kind. Liquid is fine)
Onions, peeled and thick-sliced
Extra virgin olive oil
Preheat oven to 400f
1) Combine all seasoned flour ingredients into a medium bowl. Taste it for salt/heat/herb flavors, adding more ingredients as needed. You want a strong, concentrated flavor. For a stronger flavor, you could process the thyme/oregano in a spice mill.
2) “Dredge” (coat) the onions very with seasoned flour. Optionally get the onions slightly damp before dredging them for a thicker coat.
3) Arrange onion rings in a single layer, on a greased (extra virgin olive oil) sheet tray. To save space, put the small rings in the big ones.
4) Cook 7-10 minutes, until bottoms start to brown. Turn onion rings. Cook another 5-7 minutes, until brown. Don’t overcook them, or they will taste terrible.
* You should have quite a bit of leftover flour. The seasoning works well on eggplant (cook the eggplant this way, chill it, and make a cajuny casserole), zucchini (thin-slice and make cajun zucchini chips), rutabaga fries, etc.
* You could also use the leftover seasoned flour to coat a casserole (cauliflower au gratin, etc)
* You could try adding egg, for a richer batter.
* I remember having read on the forum that cooking onions raises the glycemic index, but cannot find that post anywhere. Is this right? If so, don’t eat too many of these at once, maybe begin using them as a salad topping, etc.April 10, 2014 at 12:58 am #118028
BeccaJRMemberTopics: 5Replies: 19
These are absolutely amazing. Thank you so much for sharing this!April 10, 2014 at 2:18 am #118029
Vegan CatladyMemberTopics: 34Replies: 626
Hoping to trick the family with this recipe,lol
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.