Leg Cramps Revisited and Relieved

Home The Candida Forum Candida Advice Leg Cramps Revisited and Relieved

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  gladsome 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

gladsome
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 11

I wrote about a month ago because lower leg cramps had been playing havoc with my getting a good night’s sleep for a month or more…waking me up 2-3 times each night. I was really hoping to get the green light for drinking tonic water which contains quinine, because I knew that would take care of them…it always used to. But, Raster nixed that…

So, trying to be good, I started researching quinine and where it came from…cinchona bark. Also called Peruvian bark. Long story, short…I bought some bark, washed it, and ground it in a coffee grinder. I use 1/4 tsp. as a dose and take it once/day in hot water with lemon and stevia to taste…a tea. I have to sieve it through a paper towel to rid it of the grains and end up with a clear yellowish hot drink that I can tolerate. Best news…it works and it doesn’t compromise my candida diet. 🙂

Sanshou
    Participant
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 47

From what I’ve read most muscle cramps are associated with dehydration. The relation to salt and potassium also play a role as too much salt will inhibit potassium absorption, causing muscle cramps. With candida we have a nutrient absorption issue where our guts have problems digesting and adsorbing nutrients, which exacerbates the problem.

So stay well hydrated and I would suggest going something like a 1/2 distilled and 1/2 tap, I tend to de-chlorinate mine by leaving it open in the fridge for a day, as the choline will kill good bacteria. Or you can use a mineral supplement to offset the loss of minerals from tap water. You can also uptake your potassium levels or decrease your salt levels. But it’s important to stay very well hydrated as this illness will likely leave you dehydrated.

Something else that helped me was eating homemade pro-biotics, I think it was the fermented vegetables as they have a lot of bacteria at home in salt, which may aid in it’s digestion. It’s also important to stretch if you feel tension coming on, yoga has some very deep tendon stretches that should help, I’m sure you could find a site that walks you through the poses without injuring yourself.

gladsome
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 11

Thank you, Sanshou, for this information you have shared. I did not understand the relationship between salt and potassium. That is good to know, because I like my salt, and am probably exacerbating the problem whenever I use the shaker. Oddly I find I am wanting it more than ever when it sounds like it is not good for me…

As far as more potassium, I think I will look online. I can’t seem to find any over the counter supplements that offer more than 3% of the daily recommended value. I guess it is assumed one can eat as many bananas needed to make up the difference. I have been taking one tab in the night, but perhaps I need to take more.

I have always incorporated yoga in my life, but (oddly) have not been doing much of it for several months. Even though I noticed that the days I did stretch helped with the leg cramps.

Lastly, water. Why do I feel this aversion toward drinking it? Especially when it is a choice between water and a hot tea? I feel I have been dehydrated for years and complained to my MD once about it. His comment was, “Some people are just camels.” Well, I appreciate your response so much better. Drink more of it. Period. I usually drink Poland Springs…should I switch to distilled?

My root problem (and I am working on it!) is that I am not disciplined about my diet and exercise. I eat the candida diet, but notice that I choose the carbs still (homemade almond crackers) and other simple foods (e.g., almond butter on rice cakes for lunch) instead of veggies. I want my food easy and quick. I am not very interested in food, and I think I am sticking to the diet fairly well, but not necessarily eating a good and balanced diet. And, that worries me a little…

But, back to the leg cramps. I think you have enlightened me about the connection between potassium and salt, and I will work hard at the water and stretching…

Thank you so much.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Leg Cramps Revisited and Relieved’ is closed to new replies.