Leaky Gut Syndrome & the Immune System

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Leaky Gut Syndrome & the Immune System

This topic contains 21 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  raster 7 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

A common cause of Intestinal Permeability Syndrome, better known as Leaky Gut Syndrome, is a Candida infestation in the intestines. Candida albicans are capable of growing roots much like a plant; the roots can eventually latch onto and grow into the intestinal walls. When this happens, the Candida roots have literally broken through the intestinal walls or lining causing leaky gut syndrome.

How leaky gut syndrome causes allergies:
    Mucus membranes normally provide a protective barrier against pathogens as well as food molecules in the human intestinal tract. When these membranes in the intestinal walls become damaged and therefore no longer able to provide protection for the intestines, the structural integrity of the walls in the small intestine is compromised.
    When this happens, the pathogens and food molecules are able to move into the bloodstream via the intestines, at which point they are then recognized by the immune system as a foreign substance, or in other words, an allergen. If these molecules and pathogens enter the body in large amounts, such as during leaking gut syndrome, the immune system can become adversely affected by hypersensitivity causing overactive immune responses. Depending on the degree that leaky gut syndrome has affected the intestines; it can possibly and eventually lead to various allergies and auto-immune diseases. This is why so many people with a long-standing Candida infestation often develop various allergies.

The best way to prevent leaky gut syndrome is of course to treat the infestation before it becomes systemic.

If you think you may have leaky gut syndrome, avoid the following:

(1) Stimulant laxatives, harsh fibers such as psyllium husk and wheat bran

(2) Anything that will kill the beneficial flora in the intestines.

(3) Aloe concentrates

(4) Strong spices such as cayenne pepper

(5) The herbs goldenseal, barberry, Oregon grape root.

(6) Caffeine and excess animal proteins.

Supplements you can use to cure leaky gut syndrome:

Leaky gut normally causes inflammation, for this you should build up the intestinal flora with soft fibers like rice bran, oat bran and inulin.

Yucca root contains a good intestinal anti-inflammatory agent.

Turmeric is good with pathogenic bacteria in the intestines that contribute to the inflammation.

Since they control inflammation, it’s a good idea to build up the adrenal glands.

Anyone who either contracts a Candida infestation or fails to heal the infestation within a fairly short length of time probably is suffering from a low acting immune system, which only makes curing the infestation more difficult. The immune system also needs to be in top working form in order to prevent allergic reactions from happening with both Candida and during strong die-off episodes.

Adrenal Boosters and Adrenal Supports:
    Stress is one of the causes of a low immune system as well as the reason that the adrenals can be difficult to heal.
    Stress Helpers are: Pantethine, acetyl-l-carnitine and carnosine
    These nutrients provide special stress-busting nutrients which support the adrenals, help to calm emotional stress, and boost nerve function, mental performance, and mood.

Caffeine induces stress in the body which causes adrenal fatigue which in turn leads to a low immune system. One weak cup of coffee daily is probably not going to cause any problems unless your adrenals are already extremely weak to begin with. The reason I say this is because, as the adrenals become weaker this decreases the ability of the body to deal with stress responses. This in turn leads to more stress further weakening the adrenals. You can see how this can become a downward spiral if the adrenals are not strong enough to rebound from these times of being overworked.

You can help balance stressed adrenals and heal them with the following nutrients from supplements as well as from food sources: acetyl-l-carnitine, natural vitamin C sources, pantothenic acid (B5) sources and adaptogenic herbs.

Some of the adaptogenic herbs are:
    One of the best is Ashwaganda, also Asian and American ginseng, and licorice root. Of course there are others, but before you take any herb you should consider any other supplement or prescription drug interaction. If you are using any prescription drug you should consider consulting with your physician before taking an herb.

Able

Research shows that our mood or frame of mind during an illness accounts for 30% of the cure, i.e. “laughter is the best medicine.”

absgail
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 3

Mr. able900 i just wanna ask something.. i have a severe body odor and im suspecting that it may be due to candida. i really dont know who to ask right now coz im so depressed. what should i do?

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

Thanks Able.

I hope this isn’t a silly question – but how do you know if your Candida infestation has gone that far? Aside from testing of course.

Katy

Able900
    Spectator

absgail wrote: i just wanna ask something.. i have a severe body odor and im suspecting that it may be due to candida. i really dont know who to ask right now coz im so depressed. what should i do?

Hello, absgail.

Of course not everyone will have the same symptoms with a Candida infestation, so a body odor is really just one of many that can occur. It’s generally caused by the yeast which make up the infestation. According to some of the research, the cause is an imbalance of the bacteria in the intestines. High doses of probiotics can correct the problem over time as well as making great steps toward curing the infestation. Beneficial bacteria not only kill the Candida, but they also help to detoxify the entire body and increase the strength of the immune system.

Another thing that may help is drinking nothing but water. Try to go one day a week eating nothing but green, raw vegetables such as broccoli, lettuce, and celery, and of course others that can be eaten raw. Avoid all meats and eggs on this day.

It’s important as far as when you start taking a probiotic. A few questions first if I may.

How long do you think you’ve had a Candida infestation?
    Are you on the Candida diet, and if so, for how long?
    Are you having other symptoms of Candida?
    If you’re on the Candida diet, list the foods you eat on a daily basis.
    Are you presently taking any antifungal products, and if so, what are you taking and at what dose?
    Are you taking a probiotic, and if so, what’s the brand, strain, and count?

Able

Able900
    Spectator

Katy Gillett wrote: I hope this isn’t a silly question – but how do you know if your Candida infestation has gone that far? Aside from testing of course.

Hi, Katy.

The symptoms of leaky gut are; bloating, general indigestion, intolerance for exercising, body and/or brain fatigue, hair loss, lowered immunity, muscle cramps and pains, insomnia, abdominal pain, heartburn, anxiety, depression, gluten intolerance, flatulence, constipation, malnutrition, chemical sensitivities, hemorrhoids, and of course, the most common, food allergies. Of course, no one with leaky gut will have all of these symptoms, but at least several.

I wanted to add something to the first post, and I don’t know how I managed to leave it out to begin with. Just so everyone knows, building a good community of beneficial bacterial in the intestines is an excellent way of improving the immune system and adrenals.

Thanks, Able

Diane
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 73

The only
    thing I am taking consistently is the probiotics. Now I have another question re Leaky Gut syndrome and Probiotics.

Yes I had read your post before you mentioned it to me and I wonder why it is not advisable for me to stop taking probiotics at this time although
    intuitively I dont think that that is a good idea!!! You clearly stated in your post that if one has leaky gut syndrome which maybe or may not be the
    case with me, its advisable to stop probiotics? Why is that?

Leaky gut normally causes inflammation, for this you should build up the intestinal flora with soft fibers like rice bran, oat bran and inulin. If the leaky gut is severe, I would avoid taking pure probiotics for a while.

Able900
    Spectator

Diane wrote: You clearly stated in your post that if one has leaky gut syndrome which maybe or may not be the case with me, its advisable to stop probiotics? Why is that?

Hello, Diane.

When I posted that particular statement I apparently had something else on my mind to type, however at this point I have no idea what it was. I’m afraid I was doing about three things at one time when I typed that post, and not being a woman I’m not very good at milti-tasking. =)

I’ve corrected that part of the post now, and I sincerely apologize for the confusion.

Able

Diane
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 73

Hi Able,

Where did you post the correction or was your last post the correction

thanks

Diane

Able900
    Spectator

Diane wrote: Hi Able,
    Where did you post the correction or was your last post the correction

Diane, I simply removed that statement in the post. If I recall what it was I intended to type in its place, I’ll do so later.

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello Able,

I was wondering about the following foods: rice bran and oat bran.
    I was eating oat bran daily before my candida diet, and I am wondering why you are saying its OK? Is it not considered oats or rice?

I ate the bob’s red mill oat bran (from Oregon):
    http://www.bobsredmill.com/oat-bran-cereal.html

Additionally, is their rice bran OK to eat?:
    http://www.bobsredmill.com/rice-bran.html

I also drink yogi’s detox tea to help my liver:
    http://www.yogiproducts.com/products/details/detox/

Is this considered a strong spice that will kill beneficial flora in my intestines?

I have been taking goldenseal as an anti-fungal and am wondering if I should stop taking it? I started about a week ago. I am on week 12 of the candida diet and I am very close to fighting it off completely.

I once had leaky-gut very bad and I’ve had candida for 9 months now. I am very close to getting 100% better and my diet is very pure right now. Taking 30 billion pro-biotics, cut coffee back to once a week.

I am wondering about the salts I am using. I am using pink sea salt and sometimes applewood smoked salt (are these bad?). Additionally, I saw another post about baking soda/powder and wanted to know what to look for with regards to ingredients. I am using “top notch” ingredients from our local health food store.

I know dairy is banned, but what about butter? Should I just use coconut oil instead? Does salted butter contain bad salts? My gf is plastering it on all of the foods I am eating, and I’m like nooooooo!

Able900
    Spectator

Bob’s Red Mill Oat Bran is the type I was speaking of, and it’s ok to eat occasionally as it will feed the beneficial flora in the intestines. However, I don’t advise anyone to eat it for the first two weeks of the diet. Same for the rice bran.

As far as the tea is concerned, as I just wrote in another post, the only problem I have with tea is that so many of them contain mold. Finding an organic tea would cut down on the chance of this happening. There is no type of tea that will kill enough Candida to make a dent in the infestation.

I don’t recommend goldenseal because of the research which claims that it can contribute to the growth of Candida. Candida is a natural part of the body, so it’s impossible to literally ‘kill it off.’ This is why I don’t advocate loading up on numerous antifungals, but using only a few good ones such as coconut oil and oil of oregano and perhaps garlic, and mainly concentrating on high doses of quality probiotics with as many strains as possible. By the way, those antifungals I named won’t have to be rotated.

I don’t think I’d recommend the smoked salt that you asked about.

Concerning baking soda, just try to find a brand without aluminum.

You asked about butter; salt isn’t the problem with butter or margarine but rather the fact that it’s purely a dairy product.

Able

Able900
    Spectator

raster wrote: Able, thanks for the advice! In general, are “natural salts” OK?
    Is coconut oil a good butter alternative?

A natural, unrefined sea salt with no added ingredients is the only type I recommend. This is normally found in a health food store and unfortunately is more expensive than refined salt, even refined sea salt. Natural, unrefined sea salt contains the minerals that were meant to be in our salt. Also, when salt is refined it is “chemically” cleaned, how healthy can that be for the human body?

Himalayan sea salt was analyzed by the famous Fresenius Institute located in Europe, the report that the institute released proved that this salt contains an array of elements and trace minerals needed for health as well as the ability to maintain the electrolytes in the human body. Of course, being unrefined with nothing at all added, natural sea salt doesn’t supply us with an iodide source, so we need to add a supplement to our diet.

Coconut oil should be taken throughout the Candida treatment period on a daily basis, so yes, it can be used as an alternative for anything you wish it to.

Able

Ranger
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 23

This is an excellent post. I have been reading how our intestinal health is directly related to our over all health. This needs a bump and I was wondering how digestive grape bitters helps with this condition? Aloe concentrates were listed as not being good, but what about aloe vera liquid?

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

The grape bitters cause your body to react by producing enzymes; not only do these enzymes help digest your food (and give your more energy), but I have a feeling that they repair the membrane walls of your intestine (so that your body can absorb more nutrients). I think those two processes work in conjunction with eachother; I am not expert, but this is my guess on how it works.

Able900
    Spectator

raster wrote: I have a feeling that they repair the membrane walls of your intestine (so that your body can absorb more nutrients).

You’re correct, Raster, Grape Bitters stimulate the repair of the gut wall lining or mucosa, in other words, they can help in the healing process of Leaky Gut Syndrome. This is why the bitters are used to treat peptic ulcers and other inflammatory or erosive conditions. In addition, they are the perfect supplement for support of a healthy liver. They’re especially beneficial when taken after a heavy meal

Able

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Leaky Gut Syndrome & the Immune System’ is closed to new replies.