Leaky Gut

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Latka 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

dakotaskye
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 3

Hello all,
    I’ve been having a hard time finding a community of leaky gut sufferers, so I hope this will suffice. I’m not sure that I have a candida problem, but I know candida and leaky gut are often related.

I’ve been to dozens of doctors the past year, and no one has been able to help. I finally went to a naturopath, and he seems to think it’s leaky gut. I’m awaiting stool sample test results that should hopefully tell me more, like whether candida is present or not.

In the mean time, my ND has put me on a high-potency probiotic, a digestive enzyme and a combination deglycyrrhized licorice root, marshmallow root, slippery elm bark, and aloe extract chewable tablet. For the past week (since Saturday 6/23), I’ve also been on a very strict diet of fresh low-glycemic fruits, vegetables, and lean protein.

My question is this: I’ve been on this diet for six days, and I feel worse than ever (bloating, extreme nausea, fatigue, lack of appetite, extreme gnawing pain in upper abdomen, hardened intestines). I have found very little info on this online, but I’m hoping this is just my body “detoxifying.” I know with candida, the die-off reaction can be quite bad, but can a similar thing happen when attempting to heal leaky gut, even if candida isn’t present?

I’m hoping someone who’s gone through this before can give me some insight. It’s been incredibly stressful, especially since I’ve given up all my favorite foods, only to be punished for it by feeling worse. (I should mention I slipped up once. On Monday, I consumed yeast, but I’m not really sure if that would cause a problem if candida isn’t present).

If I knew this was a passing phase, I know I could get through it. If not, well. I don’t know what I’ll do.

Thanks in advance.

Dakota Skye

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello there,

The symptoms you mentioned are die-off symptoms and are very similar to flu-like symptoms. Die-off can last days to weeks to months…it depends on how bad your overgrowth is and how damaged your organs are.

There are ways to reduce die-off. Here’s a post about it:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postsm9759_DieOff-Symptoms-and-Cure.aspx#post9759

and a post to reduce die-off without molybdenum:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst2981_DieOff-Without-Molybdenum.aspx

A great way to completely reduce or eliminate die-off is to sweat out the toxins via the bodies largest organ, the skin. You can do this via a steam room, sauna, hot tube, jacuzzi, or even hot bath…I highly recommend mineral springs myself.

Your naturopath should know of other ways to reduce die-off; another great product is juniper berries which protect the liver and kidneys. There’s a juniper berry homeopathic my naturopath prescribes for die-off…

It sounds like your diet may not be strict enough if you are eating fruits, rice, etc. We have a very strict forum diet that has as few food items as possible that will feed candida. The goal of the diet is to feed candida as little as possible, and fruit contains sugar. There are some candida diets that allow fruit, but I personally don’t think you should be eating any until leaky gut is healed first.

Here’s the index of posts with information on a variety of topics that may aid your recovery:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postsm9960_Index-of-Posts.aspx#post9960

Leaky gut is caused by candida but it also can be caused by parasites. There is a strong likelihood that you have both because parasites often live in the same environment candida can live in.

It takes a very long time to heal, so expect a recovery of 6-18 months. It took me about a year to heal leaky gut myself.

-raster

dakotaskye

Like I mentioned, I’m not sure that candida is my problem. I’ve been tested for parasites, and those results have all been negative. I believe my leaky gut was caused by NSAID abuse since that’s when I began to notice symptoms, not from candida. If I have candida, I believe it’s a result of the leaky gut, not the other way around.

I should also reiterate; I am NOT eating grains of any kind. No rice, wheat, oats, spelt, anything like that. I’m following a leaky gut diet, not a candida diet, which suggests fructose to help heal the lining of the gut.

I just wanted to know whether die-off like symptoms were possible while healing leaky gut, not exactly die-off itself. If interested, here is the source I saw that claimed that something like that could happen: http://www.brighterdayfoods.com/PDFDocs/d/DR3C27M98FWC9G33VJ916NSGP7RTAG86.PDF
    (page 4)

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Did you used to drink a lot of caffeine? Were you a smoker? Drinker? All of these can cause leaky gut as well…and I am sure there is more things that cause it such as mercury toxicity, etc.

-raster

dakotaskye

I’ve never smoked. I drank moderately from about late 2009 – early 2011. Several times were to the point of drunkeness, though. This happened maybe once a week when I was unemployed and living with friends. Before that, I didn’t drink hardly at all.

I drank the occasional coffee or energy drink, but that was also relatively minimal (3-4 times a month). Yes, I’m sure you’re right. I notice now that when I try to drink either of those things, my symptoms are amplified and become MUCH more severe.

I think perhaps this issue was caused by a combination of NSAID usage, alcohol, caffeine, stress, and just not eating as well as I should. About the time these symptoms came about, I had been in my new job about six months and was hating it. At that same time, my parents had a painful separation and my only brother was deployed to Iraq.

I’ve always considered myself a relatively healthy person, especially compared to my friends and family; I go for walks a few times a week, I do yoga, I love fresh, healthy foods. But as a small person, I don’t usually eat much, so I’m sure I’m not getting all the vitamins and nutrients I need, even when I eat healthy.

But mostly I’d have to blame this on NSAIDs, alcohol, and stress.

flailingWcandi
    Topics: 13
    Replies: 277

dakotaskye wrote:
    But mostly I’d have to blame this on NSAIDs

Think that explains the recent troubling foot tingling that I have never encountered prior to using ALEVE. Goodbye ALEVE. Thanks for sharing your story, as it at least helped me

Guess I have to live in pain, which is better than pain and tingling…..mama mia!

dakotaskye

It’s quite possible your problem could be because of the Aleve. I never realized how bad for the body, especially the stomach and intestines, that NSAIDs could be. I wish someone had told me how dangerous it was before I got myself into this and may never get out of..

I’m glad I could at least offer a little insight.

Latka
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 128

Hi Dakota Skye,

The question is, if you do not have parasites or Candida overgrowth, in other words if you do not have anything that could die from your treatment, then why would you have die off symptoms? And if it is not die off then there is the possibility that the treatment is not exactly targeting the problem in the right way. 6 days might be a bit too soon to conclude that, as there can always be a bit rough time in the beginning when we adjust to a new diet. Still it is a possibility.

I have a leaky gut too and I have been following this forum among others to find out for myself what I could do to heal it. People are very eager to recommend the strict diet here, and it’s great if that has worked for someone. BUT if you do not have Candida overgrowth I would not jump into such a restrictive diet. There can be many reasons for a leaky gut, such as inflammation. I personally got a lot worse during my strict Candida treatment.

Here are some of the things I have found:
    I am using l-glutamine to heal the gut lining. I am also eating bone broths, partly because the gelatin in the broth is healing to the gut lining, but also because the gelatin is an easily digested and anti-inflammatory protein. Much easier to digest for someone with a leaky gut than for example lean meats. The GAPS diet introduced me to the use of bone broths and though I do not follow the GAPS diet I have integrated the aspects of it that work for me. Such as the bone broths and the use of fresh vegetable and fruit juices in order to alleviate constipation. Raw vegetables can be hard to digest with leaky gut but I find that when juiced they cause me no trouble. Apparently raw carrot is very good for healing the gut. I also personally have benefited from consuming more potassium rich fruits such as orange juice and bananas. These are strictly forbidden on the Candida diet but have been beneficial for helping my leaky gut. So go figure. Maybe it is as you wrote, the fructose that can help heal the leaky gut? I also try to do the food rotation (not eat the same foods until again after 4 days); it’s hard to do in practice but when I manage it helps me tolerate a larger variety of foods. I do not want to restrict my foods too narrowly as I am worried about not being able to introduce them back again. However the few days rest in between seems to give my digestive system the break it needs to handle some foods again.

High potency probiotics actually made my symptoms a lot worse. I don’t believe my worsened and new symptoms were simply die off. There is a possibility that I have a SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) rather than Candida and though this is often also treated with probiotics, research done in Cedars Sinai actually would show otherwise. If it is a matter of a bacterial overgrowth (and that could be good or bad bacteria, just too much of it where it shouldn’t be) then taking probiotics can actually make matters a lot worse. This is not to say they are in itself bad, just that they can do more harm than good if you happen to have sibo. So if your treatment is still making you feel worse, read about sibo to see if your symptoms match and see if your doctor could test it.

Hope you find a way to heal!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Leaky Gut’ is closed to new replies.