Labs went up after 10 weeks on the Candida Diet

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Labs went up after 10 weeks on the Candida Diet

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  raster 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

latinbirder
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

After joint surgery to reconstruct damage from RA on my left foot I started researching causes of RA. A book called Conquering Arthritis introduced me to the idea that leaky gut and food intolerances could be the underlying cause of the inflammation that was damaging my joints. I decided to have the ALCAT test to help me identify my food sensitivities and I requested that my doctor at Kaiser do a blood test for Candida since this condition is also related to leaky gut and food sensitivities. My results for Candida (thru Focus Diagnostics) were .2 for IgG and IgA and .9 for IgM.[h] Technically, Candida was not detected, as it requires at least a 1.0 reading and my doctor immediately dismissed the notion that I might have Candida and refused to re-test despite the borderline result.[/h] Kaiser would not pay for the ALCAT so I shopped the internet for the cheapest alternative to test for the ALCAT. My ALCAT results showed that I was intolerant to over 100 foods, herbs and other substances. The holistic practitioner who ordered the ALCAT for me referred me to this page and advised me to go on the candida diet. During the first week of October, 2012 I started the candida diet with a cleanse during which to my surprise I felt more energy than I can remember having in years. I felt so good that I extended my initially planned 4-day cleanse to 7 days. I cheated a bit the last days by grazing on cashews and pistachios (yes now I’m aware that they may contain molds I should avoid) and eating a few of the veggies in my veggie broth (organic kale, potatoes, carrots and onions). I lost nearly 7 pounds in 7 days and felt less brain fog and more energy. I started stage 2 of the diet. Between food intolerances and the candida diet, my diet was radically restricted. I expected to put the 7 lbs back on once I started eating, instead I kept it off over the next 2 1/2 months and dropped a few more pounds. According to ALCAT I had a severe intolerance to Candida,gluten/gliadin, asparagus, lima beans, string beans, parsley, cranberry, codfish and swordfish and moderate intolerance to avocado,soy,brussel sprouts, cucumbers, eggplant, hops, lemon, orange, parsnips, and swiss chard; and mild reactions to casein, almonds, black beans, artichokes, green peas spinach, sweet potato, red/grn leaf lettuce and mild or moderate intolerance to and a host of other foods including many vegetables, legumes and nuts as well as fluoride, aloe vera, pau de arco,and valerian.
    Buckwheat and millet porridge with hemp and later almond milk became staple breakfasts. I sweetened these with Stevia, a splash of pure organic blueberry extract from the farmers market, and a grated granny smith apple (yes I know this is “cheating” but my diet was extremely restricted). Initially I was taking “Now” Candida cleanse until 3 weeks into the diet when in my reading I discovered that caprilyic acid was derived from coconuts which according to the ALCAT test I was severely intolerant to. I stopped the caprylic acid but continued drinking chicory tea, taking a probiotic pill(yogurt and kefir were out due to my casein intolerance). Basically I ate lots of veggies, salads, beef, salmon, tuna and chicken. After a month I was allowed to add almond butter.

Due to the considerable weight I’d lost and a desire to vary my diet whilst still trying to follow the ALCAT recommendations in order to identify which foods are triggering my inflammation and RA, I decided to re-test for Candida after following the Candida diet protocol with about 90% diligence for 10 weeks. [h]The same lab preformed the test (this time through the health center at my community college) and all my labs had increased rather than decreased: >5 for IgG, .3 for IgA and 1.0 for IGM. I AM SO DISCOURAGED! [/h]This time Candida was technically detected, though I’m certainly not off the charts. I have to say I don’t really consistently experience candida symptoms (since I changed my diet), and from the beginning of this journey never felt the anticipated Die-off either (perhaps because I heeded the warning and took the supplements to mitigate the detox effects on my organs) In general I feel better, but want to be able to eat fruit, wild mushrooms, a bit of alcohol for cooking and starchy vegetables as well as a sugar treat here and there.

Most of the natural anti-fungal formulations available at the excellent health food stores in SF include an ingredient that I needed to exclude due to my ALCAT results. Any thoughts?? I’ve just read 70% of the yeast connection and women’s health and am toying with the idea of trying a prescription anti-fungal……but a December 2012 article posted on this site, cites how CA is becoming resistant to some of the prescription anti-fungals. I prefer natural to pharmaceutical…..refused to go on any meds for my RA, when they diagnosed me 5 years ago; and so want to beat the RA and Candida with diet so my leaky gut can heal and I can enjoy limited amounts of the foods that I’m currently prohibiting. Thoughts?????

Cheers!

Jennifer

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Hello Jennifer,

What supplements were you taking throughout this time? What kind of probiotics? We don’t need to know your food intolerances, we just are curious about your diet. What is in your diet?

If you are eating beef, this is not allowed on the diet and is likely a great cause of your inflammation. Beef and pork take days to digest while chicken and fish take hours. The beef will ferment in the gut and is highly inflammatory.

You need to heal leaky gut and I am confused about how you are healing this.

-raster

latinbirder
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1

Thank you for your reply. The reason I mention ALCAT is that it supposedly identifies the foods that are causing inflammation in my body. Beef was cleared by ALCAT, while many “healthy” vegetables that are allowed on the Candida Diet were identified by ALCAT as being problematic for me.

Additionally throughout the 10 weeks I only experienced two episodes of inflammation (RA flare) and neither of these were w/in 6 days of consuming beef.

During the 7 day cleanse, I ate the broth and took the following supplements: Great Plains bentonite, Collective Choice Pantothenic ACID,Now Silymarin, Psyllium Husk powder and NAC. Following the cleanse I dropped the above supplements and I added the Now Candida Clear which I took for 3 weeks until I suspended it due to the Caprylic Acid. Though I suspended the detox support supplements I experienced no “die off” symptoms or RA flares, and felt great. I think it was at the 3 week mark that I added Jarrow Formulas Saccharromyces Boulardii + MOS, and probiotics which I continue to take daily. The probiotics I’ve taken are Ultima Flora Critical Care 50 Billion followed by their Ultimate Flora 100 Billion.

My diet is mostly buckwheat or millet porridge with hemp or almond milk for breakfast, alternated with eggs and sauteed onions. And an organic chicken breast, wild caught salmon or Tuna over organic romaine lettuce with olive oil and lime or Braggs ACV for lunch or dinner along with zucchinni, kale, leek, scallion, onions, garlic, broccoli, bell peppers,cauliflower and the occasional red or white potato or yam for the vegetable. Lots of fresh tumeric/ginger-lime juice “salsa” over veggies, meat or sprouted brown rice.

I tried a few brown rice pastas – not really my thing. Sprouted brown rice and brown rice cakes with organic almond butter have been my mainstay stand in for carbs. As well as snacking on almonds, walnuts and cashews.

I drink just water and herb teas. As far a I see, the main culprits foodwise,which may be feeding the CANDIDA 3-6 apples per week, a bit of blueberry extract, cashews, yams and potatoes.

[h]Eliminating the gluten/gliadin, casein and all the other inflammatory foods, per ALCAT, as well as yeasts, vinegars, alcohol, sugar – ie following the Candida diet and taking probiotics and probiotic yeast is my protocol for healing my leaky gut
    [/h]
    Again, in general I’ve felt great, no more bloating, way less gas (except after cruciferous veggies) way more energy, clearer skin, less bad breath, less brain fog, more clarity, stamina, etc. All seems great, except for the fact that my labs went up.

– Jennifer

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I would look at prebiotics which feed the probiotics and other beneficial bacteria in the gut. This is very essential for healing leaky gut and creating an environment for beneficial bacteria to thrive.

Additionally, I would try out fermented (or regular) cod liver oil which is highly anti-inflammatory.

I would not eat beef because this makes leaky gut worse. I would skip it for a few weeks and see if digestion is better.

You have found some foods that feed candida but I can list more. Brown rice cakes feed candida, as well does the almond butter (slightly). Rice cakes are inflammatory as well:
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5710/2

We don’t recommend eating almond butter and rice cakes until stage 3 of the diet, or basically when you are symptom free and have healed leaky gut.

Almond milk is also problematic unless you make it at home and roast and soak the almonds before making it. This should kill 99% of the mold found in the almonds.

I also would greatly reduce the amount of apples you eat to 1-2 per week. I didn’t introduce apples in for 6 months I was so highly allergic to them (when my leaky gut was bad). I’d also skip out on those yams and potatoes as much as possible. Rutabega is a great potato replacement and is highly anti-fungal.

I would check out this list of leaky gut supplements:
    http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst3278_Raster-s-Leaky-Gut-List.aspx

You’ve got things down pretty good but I am listing out some things that were a problem for me. We developed a strict forum food list that most forum members follow and rice is not in this list.

-raster

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Labs went up after 10 weeks on the Candida Diet’ is closed to new replies.