Kefir w/ 12g sugar, 11g protein, 0g fat. Too much sugar?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Kefir w/ 12g sugar, 11g protein, 0g fat. Too much sugar?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Caveman_Mike 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Caveman_Mike
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 3

http://lifeway.net/Products/Kefir/LowFatKefir/LowFatPlain.aspx

I know folks who follow the “specific carbohydrate diet” make their own yogurt over a 24 hour period which is supposed to be even lower in sugar, but I’m hoping to avoid the hassle of making my own.

Is this product ok from a candida perspective?

Thanks,
    Mike

Paperstars
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 47

If you really want to try to minimize the amount of sugar in store-brought kefir, you should try Liberte PLAIN Organic Kefir instead as it only has 4g of sugar/125ml. Quite a bit less compared to Lifeway.

http://www.liberte.ca/en/products/organic-plain-kefir/

I’ve had it before, it’s not bad. Too bad it’s too pricey.

But I guess probiotic content wise, bacteria/yeast wise and economically, it’s better to buy kefir grains and make your own kefir. It will only cost you the cost of milk, and the grains multiply, so overtime you can make even more kefir. And you can eat the grains for extra probiotic boost or decide to donate them. It’s so easy…I had new kefir in less than 24 hrs, especially now that it’s summer, it will ferment even quicker.

Caveman_Mike

Thank you Paperstars.

If I’m still eating starch (e.g. 6oz of rice with lunch) which is 47g of starch, but only 0.1g of sugar, is the difference in sugar between brands of kefir even relevant?

I know why sugar is worse from a diabetes perspective (because it rapidly raises blood sugar), but I’m not clear if sugar vs. starch is relevant to candida: aren’t candida patient enough to wait for the starch to digest into sugar and then eat the sugar?

If you have an opinion on that, I’d very much appreciate it because I remain confused on starch vs. sugar from a candida perspective.

Thanks,
    Mike

Paperstars
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 47

I’m still new to this battle so I will let an expert chime in but I was under the impression that complex carbs/starchy items like potatoes and rice are also prohibited on the candida diet because candida would feed on it. So under that perspective, the different in sugar content between the two brands does make a difference.

There are a lot of candida diets out there, some allowing complex carbs like brown rice others do not. I think the ideal candida diet is one that is low on sugar, low on carbohydrates and free of foods that one is intolerant/allergic to. At least the diet on this particular forum prohibits such items. I have only seen rice been suggested as an occasional treat or if all other gluten-free grains tend to not be tolerated.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

12g of sugar per serving isn’t worth worrying about imho. What you should worry about is whether kefir will bring more benefit vs. detriment. Some kefir contains candida and other yeast strains. Dvjorge has some posts on why you shouldn’t consume kefir…I can pull up the links if wanted me to.

-raster

Caveman_Mike

Interesting point about kefir, and very kind to offer @raster , and thanks for the reply.

I think I’ll give it a shot and see how it seems to work for me.

Regards,
    Mike

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Kefir w/ 12g sugar, 11g protein, 0g fat. Too much sugar?’ is closed to new replies.