Kefir Question about room temperature raw goat's milk

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Kefir Question about room temperature raw goat's milk

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  fixme 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

dave
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 34

Hey all, I was just wondering about this kefir business…I got my fresh grains the other day in the mail from the Kefir Lady in OH and got my goat’s milk today and added the first 2 cups to it. The instructions provided stated to lt that sit at room temperature for 24 hours and then strain…first question 1) After the milk is strained is it safe or wise to LEAVE it out at room temperature? or should the finished fermented product be refrigerated until it is drank?

2) How much are we supposed to drink a day when starting out and how much do we work up to? Are there “best times of day to drink it or should probiotics be taken with them before a meal? or just drank along with a meal?

3) Is there ANY worry about the fermented raw goats milk causing issues or sickness? I havent had dairy anything for several months so just want to make sure…but especially not raw fermented goat’s milk!

4) I we run out of milk to feed the grains are they safe to keep room temperature for several days without milk or will they die? Would keeping them in the refrigerator help preserve until I had more milk?

I have seen people on here say that switching the milk can be harsh or cause the grains to be ineffective with the new milk (say switching from raw goat’s to raw cow’s milk). All help is greatly appreciated and I will be doing more research myself!

dave
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 34

bump

fixme
    Participant
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 101

All good questions I have too. Will wait for answers as I got my grains from her today. 🙂

UncleOxidant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 56

As for #4: it’s best to store them in the fridge with just enough fresh milk to keep them mostly covered. You can do that for up to about a week, then you need to freshen up the milk.

Miriam
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 61

Hi Dave,

1. Once you have fermente your milk-it canb be left out at room temp for 2 days. After fermented there is actually a second fermentation that if allowed can occur. The second fermentation will increase the nutritional value. The taste does become stronger.
    2. I started with 1/2 2 x a day. My sister after about 3 weeks drinks 3 to 4 cups a day. Start slow and increase so you don’t have a problem with any diet off you may experience and not to be too harsh on yur body.
    3. I haven’t heard of anyone getting ill from goats milk unles they are allergic to gINS oats milk.
    4.Grains always need to be in milk. It is safe to keep them in the frig for a week or so. However it make a day or to to get them going again.

Switching from one milk to another isn’t recommended. However you can have a batch going for tow seperate milks. Just keep them apart so that they don’t comtaminate each other.
    Dom has a great web site. That’s where I get my information from.I find it sound.
    Good luck. Kefir wi a whole seperate world and it’s great.Try making it with coconut milk its great. you can use the same milk to ferment the coconut milk.

fixme
    Participant
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 101

Miriam;34593 wrote: Hi Dave,

1. Once you have fermente your milk-it canb be left out at room temp for 2 days. After fermented there is actually a second fermentation that if allowed can occur. The second fermentation will increase the nutritional value. The taste does become stronger.
    2. I started with 1/2 2 x a day. My sister after about 3 weeks drinks 3 to 4 cups a day. Start slow and increase so you don’t have a problem with any diet off you may experience and not to be too harsh on yur body.
    3. I haven’t heard of anyone getting ill from goats milk unles they are allergic to gINS oats milk.
    4.Grains always need to be in milk. It is safe to keep them in the frig for a week or so. However it make a day or to to get them going again.

Switching from one milk to another isn’t recommended. However you can have a batch going for tow seperate milks. Just keep them apart so that they don’t comtaminate each other.
    Dom has a great web site. That’s where I get my information from.I find it sound.
    Good luck. Kefir wi a whole seperate world and it’s great.Try making it with coconut milk its great. you can use the same milk to ferment the coconut milk.

In #2, you started with “1/2” of what 2x a day? Half a teaspoon…half a cup?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Kefir Question about room temperature raw goat's milk’ is closed to new replies.