Kefir Grains. Where to get them?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Kefir Grains. Where to get them?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

GayBofill
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 34

Hello everyone. I viewed several videos on u-tube about making kefir at home and would like to try it. But I don’t know where to get the starter. Able, Raster, any good quality sources for obtaining kefir grains to start the production? Also, has anhyone made it with cocunut milk rather than goat’s milk? Is it just as beneficial? I am lactose intolerant but apparently kefir is not a disturbance to this, correct? Thanks very much.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

Amazon.com has kefir starting kits; and your local health food store may also have them (I know mine does).

-Raster

fml432
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 35

Actually, I was wondering this too. I thought we couldn’t have dairy products (like animal milk, cheese, butter, etc)? So instead of goat’s milk, is it still effective to use it with coconut milk? This website states that kefir grains cultured in non-mammalian milk stops growing: http://tammysrecipes.com/about_kefir

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

Anyone know where to get them in the UK? I can see only two expensive powdered forms on Amazon UK that don’t last very long.

Edit: found this site. I’ve only ever heard kefir by name, and I wasn’t aware it was something you had to cultivate. I like the idea of looking after something that’ll improve my health.

JohnnyPonny
    Topics: 15
    Replies: 39

Ordere on ebay form the uk.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Javizy wrote: Anyone know where to get them in the UK? I can see only two expensive powdered forms on Amazon UK that don’t last very long.

Edit: found this site. I’ve only ever heard kefir by name, and I wasn’t aware it was something you had to cultivate. I like the idea of looking after something that’ll improve my health.

This company is located in the UK and carries the Body Ecology brand of kefir which I highly recommend and use. I don’t think they have the actual kefir grains, but do have the kefir starter kits.

The kefir powder, or starter kits, will last a long time if you keep the box in the refrigerator.

http://www.red23.co.uk/Body-Ecology-Kefir-Starter_p_50.html

Able

Javizy
    Topics: 20
    Replies: 945

What do you think of the link I posted? For half the price of the Body Ecology one I can get a starter kit with organic goat’s milk kefir grains and all the paraphernalia. Might be able to make some cheese with my own grains.

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Javizy wrote: What do you think of the link I posted? For half the price of the Body Ecology one I can get a starter kit with organic goat’s milk kefir grains and all the paraphernalia. Might be able to make some cheese with my own grains.

Although I know nothing about the brand or the company, the products seem to be alright – as far as I can tell from the descriptions on the website.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Kefir Grains. Where to get them?’ is closed to new replies.