kefir grains not fermenting

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions kefir grains not fermenting

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Miriam 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

I just got new kefir grains. They were held up in customs and arrived smelling like cat pee!
    I rinsed them in fresh milk, soaked them in fresh milk for a few hours, and rinsed them again. I tried my first ferment and it never took, 48 hours later I just have rotten milk with kefir grains in it.

I started it again this time with less milk. Could something be wrong with these grains?

My first ratio was one liter of milk to about 1.5 TBS grains. Second ratio is a scant pint and same grains.

DZUKELA
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 5

If they sent you grains that were frozen, you will need to make 2 or 3 batches for them to reactivate.

1 tablespoon of grains put in one cup of milk (2 deciliters) and keep for 24 hours.

Mine smelled bad two but after one batch it was good.

Im lucky enough to get really good organic milk from the farm and my grains love it. From one tablespooon, in a month i have like 15 tablespoons of grain. Already gave some to my friends to make for themselves.

So quality of milk is important.

mrs.candida

By “frozen” do you mean freeze dried? No, the grains were not freeze dried. Also, I’m using organic milk.

jay253
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 43

use only a little milk change it out every 8 to 12 hrs look for new growth or color change use cool milk thats pasturized

orka1998
    Participant
    Replies: 673

If they were fresh and starved in shipping, it could take quite some effort to bring them back. Watch out so you are not using too little milk. In my opinion better more than less until they are brought back to life. This way you make sure they have enough food, you do not expect kefir first few batches anyway. If you put too little milk they might keep starving. If 5-6 batches are still not fermenting, then it is safe to assume they are done, but if you get any activity, few bubbles, yeasty smell, anything, then fight further as they will come back. If few batches and after 1-2 days for each there is no activity, milk remains milk, then they are done.

Also, if you’ve never had kefir, watch out that you don’t confuse kefir with spoiled milk. It will curd, whey might separate and it will smell kind of yeasty at the top.

Arijana

Miriam
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 61

Hi,
    Call the company that you purchased the grains from. They may be able to direct you.
    Miriam

mrs.candida

thanks guys! They came back to life on the second batch. I also added less milk. Does anyone have any advice on how to make it more fizzy? Do I just seal it up and leave it in the fridge?

Miriam

Hi,

I don’t think you can fizz milk keifer. You can with water kefir grains.
    Miriam

mrs.candida

Yes Miriam,
    It happens during a second fermentation. Just seal the bottle shut and let it sit in the fridge for an extra 24 hours or more before drinking.

My kefir has been great! It just took a bit to get the grains up and running.

Miriam

HI,

I do ferment my milk kefir a 2nd time. I leave it on the counter for 24 or 48 hrs. depending on the strenght I want it. Have’t seen it fizz.
    Miriam

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘kefir grains not fermenting’ is closed to new replies.