kefir grains look like mashed potatoes

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions kefir grains look like mashed potatoes

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  hope4eva77 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Angel29
    Participant
    Topics: 56
    Replies: 101

So I ordered kefir grains through ebay and they arrived looking like very lumpy mashed potatoes. I’m assuming they should NOT look like this???

UncleOxidant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 56

Should look like cauliflower, but I’d guess they went through a bit of stress in the shipment. Put them in some milk and they should recover.

Taylor
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 3

Put them in about 1 cup of milk, cover them with a paper towel and rubber band, it grows in a nice dark cupboard, dont let them sit in the cupboard for more than two days it will kill them. when its time to drain them strain throw a plastic colander metal will kill your grains. you can reuse the grains. The possibilities are endless with kieffer

candida_sucks
    Replies: 148

Taylor;35639 wrote: dont let them sit in the cupboard for more than two days it will kill them.

Untrue. They will just ferment longer. I let each batch ferment for 48 hours, as I like my kefir to be quite sour. Check out Dom’s kefir site.

Cheers

Taylor
    Replies: 3

I have, Im not a fan of doms. It weakens the grain and eventually kill it.

Angel29
    Participant

I’m not ready to make the kefir just yet because I haven’t gotten the proper supplies. Should I keep the grains in the fridge?

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

Sometimes they look like overcooked clumped up rice. This is fine.

Yes, put them in some milk and in the fridge. What supplies are you missing? All you need is a non-metal container (glass jar is perfect for this), non-metal spoon, strainer and that’s it.

Arijana

serenedream
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 84

orka1998;35732 wrote: Sometimes they look like overcooked clumped up rice. This is fine.

Yes, put them in some milk and in the fridge. What supplies are you missing? All you need is a non-metal container (glass jar is perfect for this), non-metal spoon, strainer and that’s it.

Arijana

Hi Arijana,

I have this question too. I am about to buy kefir grains from kefirlady.com and I am wondering what “supplies” I will need. When you say strainer, would a plastic strainer (say to strain water from noodles or water from green beans) suffice? I don’t have any glass jars, does plastic work, or it probably would be worth it to pick up a cheap mason jar.

Thanks again (and sorry for newbie questions!)

Angel29
    Participant

I need to get a plastic strainer.

But for now, can’t I just scoop the kefir out with a wooden spoon (instead of using the strainer)??

shayfo
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 668

Before I got a fine enough plastic strainer (it should be small enough to hold flax seeds, basically), I used a plastic fork to hold back the grains and pour off the kefir liquid into another container. Just keep an eye out for any escapees. You might be able to use wood, but I think wood is more likely to hold onto mold than plastic.

As for using a plastic jar, I personally would not. I’m sure someone you know will use a glass jar of marinara sauce soon, and you can just wash it out and use it.

candida_sucks
    Replies: 148

Taylor;35645 wrote: I have, Im not a fan of doms. It weakens the grain and eventually kill it.

Not sure why your grains die… Mine are thriving, and I ferment for 48 hours. Every two weeks or so I have to eat some grains because their numbers grow.

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

I will have to get a plastic strainer mine is metal oh know didn’t know this! Thanks!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘kefir grains look like mashed potatoes’ is closed to new replies.