Kefir grains and Travelling

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Kefir grains and Travelling

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  benc 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

jamesb
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 43

Is there anyone out there who can give advice of how well/how to care for kefir grains while travelling by car.

I am going on holiday next week and will be travelling by car for about 7 hours, the weather is likely to be warm though maybe not hot, as I am self catering while on holiday I was thinking of taking my kefir grains to continue taking kefir milk however I was wandering whether they travel well and if so would they be ok in a sealed container (to avoid spillage while bouncing and sploshing about in the car)

Or would I be better off leaving them at home, would they be ok left in the fridge in the same milk for 8 days?

Any advise would be appreciated.

jamesb
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 43

Advise anyone?

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

jamesb wrote: Advise anyone?

I don’t know, I would like to know if its possible to travel with them abroad also.

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

I wouldn’t leave them in same milk for 8 days. Better option is to freeze them in a little milk. They should travel well by car. You put them in fresh cold milk right before you leave and if you have a cooler even better. Same way they sit out on the counter, they can be in the car for 7 hours. Temperature is higher but that will just make the kefir a bit sourer. You can either finish ripening it until full 24 hours when you arrive or toss this milk and make a fresh one on the right room temperature.

Hope this helps.

Arijana

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

benc wrote:

Advise anyone?

I don’t know, I would like to know if its possible to travel with them abroad also.

Hi benc,

I used to live in US and my mom brought kefir grains to me from Bosnia. She was sneaky though, she put few little grains in a plastic medicine bottle. Nobody raised an eyebrow or asked what it was. Few little grains grew fast and we had a full cup of kefir within a weak or so. My parents traveled more than 24 hours so it took grains a day or so to restore their health.

There is a risk though. If they find it they will probably make trouble for you.

Arijana

benc

orka1998 wrote:

Advise anyone?

Hi benc,

I used to live in US and my mom brought kefir grains to me from Bosnia. She was sneaky though, she put few little grains in a plastic medicine bottle. Nobody raised an eyebrow or asked what it was. Few little grains grew fast and we had a full cup of kefir within a weak or so. My parents traveled more than 24 hours so it took grains a day or so to restore their health.

There is a risk though. If they find it they will probably make trouble for you.

Arijana

Thanks for the reply, i’m actually going to a neighbouring country of yours, an island off the coast of Split.

I think I will prob just buy that probiotic that is said to be ok stored without ice, its for 2 weeks & I don’t remember there being organic yogurt in the supermarket there.

Latka
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 128

I am wondering what to do with the grains when I travel away for a holiday and leave them home for two weeks. Should I just leave them in milk on the kitchen counter top for all that time? Or put them in some milk and freeze them? Is it just a matter of defrosting them when I return and using as usual? I am worried that if I freeze them they will die, and if I leave them out for two weeks they will go bad…???

benc

Latka wrote: I am wondering what to do with the grains when I travel away for a holiday and leave them home for two weeks. Should I just leave them in milk on the kitchen counter top for all that time? Or put them in some milk and freeze them? Is it just a matter of defrosting them when I return and using as usual? I am worried that if I freeze them they will die, and if I leave them out for two weeks they will go bad…???

google dom’s kefir site, they have instructions there.

Wendy
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 18

benc wrote:

I am wondering what to do with the grains when I travel away for a holiday and leave them home for two weeks. Should I just leave them in milk on the kitchen counter top for all that time? Or put them in some milk and freeze them? Is it just a matter of defrosting them when I return and using as usual? I am worried that if I freeze them they will die, and if I leave them out for two weeks they will go bad…???

From what I know, Kefir is not recommended to be left for two hole weeks in milk.
    It’s best to frost them when you leave and just defrost them when you return home.

benc

Wendy wrote:

From what I know, Kefir is not recommended to be left for two hole weeks in milk.
    It’s best to frost them when you leave and just defrost them when you return home.

i think he says that, not 100%, might have read elsewhere

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Kefir grains and Travelling’ is closed to new replies.