KEFIR- gods gift to candida?? make your own and save loadsa money!

Home The Candida Forum Foods & Recipe Ideas Snacks & Treats KEFIR- gods gift to candida?? make your own and save loadsa money!

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  natmike5464 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

BenjiRixon
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 54

Hey Guys,

To some people this post may be like teaching granny to suck eggs, to some it might be totally new, i dunno, i thought id share anyways and it could save you a fortune in probiotics.

i noticed people talking about kefir on the boards here but have never seen in here in the uk although its propbably available, just never looked for it. Anyways, i decided to have a little research into it and really glad i did as i had no idea on how good it was and that you can actually make it yourself. Shop bought is ment to have about 8-9 strains of good bacteria but home made kefir has up to 50 !!! I spend on average £15(gbps) a week on probiotic natural plain yogurt so thats when i decided to look into making it myself. not sure if anyone on here makes it themselves if so some hints/tips/advice would be great !

Anyway i didnt realise how easy it is to make, all you need is some milk kefir grains sit them in milk at room temp for 24 hours, strain them ready to re-use for your next lot. With the milk kefir you strained, let that sit at room temp for 24-48 hours and bingo its done. Another good thing is that the grains muliply (as theyre live) so you never ever run out and all you need is milk, BARGAIN ! i got some grains that should be arriving about mid-week so will keep you posted on how it goes.

Found a you tube clip to watch and is a really good watch, its in 2 x ten min parts.

PART 1 – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1yZFhNjhgc

PART 2 – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9fg6eJOctc&feature=related

also a really interesting website, a very good read –

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/Makekefir.html#usual_method_for_kefir

Benji

NeekyNoo
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 46

Thank you Benji,

I’ve been thinking about making some myself, but not got round to looking for the grains.
    I want to try making it with almond milk as well, I’ve been off dairy for several years, so it doesn’t feel right drinking milk kefir, even though I have a few times. I’ve read that it works just as well with dairy altrnatives.

BenjiRixon
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 54

Hey NeekyNoo,

yeah it can be made with more or less any milk, coconut would be a good one i reckon. soya milk and almond milk works well as the guy said in the video. As your from the uk heres the link to the seller on ebay i bought it off, seems very passionate about it which is always a good sign as others i looked at were just out too make some money.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Milk-Kefir-Grains-20g-tablespoon-live-probiotic-/120735627938?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item1c1c677aa2

shes sold quite a lot of it too which i also good. as said earlier i should get mine about tues/wednesday so will try and take some pics or something

Benji

monita
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 28

Thanks for this Beji.

I just ordered kefir grains from eBay to start to make my own. I was getting wee kefir bottles sent from an organic store in England (I live in Scotland) but this works out really expensive.

After reading the many other posts about what is best to leave out in stage 1, I think I will try it with goat milk and coconut milk.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on with this 🙂

natmike5464
    Topics: 6
    Replies: 17

I am confused at kefir|| as it says to soak them in milk first, and then you can put them in coconut milk… SO does it have to be cow`s milk at the beginning to soak them in < Nat

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘KEFIR- gods gift to candida?? make your own and save loadsa money!’ is closed to new replies.