Kefir. Do I have to make my own?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Kefir. Do I have to make my own?

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Miriam 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Kag
    Topics: 18
    Replies: 402

We have organic plain kefir at the Co-op that I work at. In the interest of time, I would like to start drinking that kefir as an addition to my probiotic. I work 3 jobs and in the spring, summer and fall I will not have time to keep up with making stuff on my own all the time. Do you think this would be okay? I eat greek yogurt, but not on a daily basis because of the dairy. I have been taking a probiotic in pill form every day though. Thanks!

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

I’m sure its best if u make your own as it has more good bacteria I think u can keep it in fridge a few days with milk if u can’t make it all the time but u have to change the milk and shouldn’t do it often

shayfo
    Replies: 668

I spend about five minutes a day on my kefir, tops. It just sits there, and I pour some out and add some new coconut milk, and then it goes back to sitting there. I think you’d lose some quality if you drink the commercial kind, but some is better than none!

pleasehelp
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 7

Maybe you could explain your situation to the kefir provider and they will make some ready to drink kefir for you.

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

It’s questionable how much probiotic there is in commercial kefir and if it has been fermented right (meaning at least 24 hours to remove the lactose from the milk). If you made your own you know how long it has been fermented, you know there is tons of probiotic in it and it takes you few minutes to strain and make a new batch (which involves just pouring new milk or whatever you use over grains).

You can choose to drink this if you want, but I am positive that home made kefir contains much less sugar and much more probiotic. In my opinion commercial ones are waste of money, you get so little out of it. They must sterilize it to allow for some shelf life and then return few strains of bacteria back to call it probiotic.

Just my opinion, you choose which way you want to go.

Best of luck to you!

Arijana

Kag

Thanks everybody. I will have to mull this over. I will probably talk to a few people at work as well. I know a lot of people that drink the kefir, but I think mainly it is for the taste and the ease with which you can drink it.

Clare_
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 134

Commercial kefir is not real kefir. It is just a kefir-like beverage.

They use powder to make it, not real kefir grains.

emz333
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 49

hey guys, i have a question. i have never made my own kefir, but am goin to start! i like the idea of the coconut water kefir, but isnt this bad for candida because of the sugar content in the coconut water? also should i be getting water kefir starter or milk kefir starter, since im supposed to avoid dairy on this diet? can u make kefir without the sugar or does it need it? how does it work? thanx!!

shayfo
    Replies: 668

The kefir “grains” (cultures) eat the sugar. They need it! They leave very little in the drink, so you don’t end up ingesting sugar. I’m not sure which grains you should get — dairy makes me feel gross, but I’m using kefir grains that used to be in dairy (from a friend), and I haven’t had any problems with it in my coconut milk. It could be different if you have an allergy vs just have a hard time digesting it. But the grains themselves aren’t made of dairy. Hope that helps?

orka1998
    Participant
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 673

I am pretty sure you should get water kefir grains for coconut water. They are different and milk grains feed off of lactose (sugar in milk) where water kefir grains can feed on more forms of sugar.

Here is a website that is all you ever wanted to know about kefir. It does have a section about water kefir there.

http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

Arijana

Clare_
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 134

Water kefir grains work better in coconut water.

Kag

Where do I get kefir grains then?

hope4eva77
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 548

i plain on getting mine from kefirlady.comhttp://kefirlady.com/

Miriam
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 61

Hi Everyone,

I have been making kefir for about 6 months now. I am lactose intolerant and a diabetic. I purchased my kefir grains from Culture for Health. I hydrated them for a couple weeks in cows milk. Them I started using coconut milk. It taste great. It takes a little longer to ferment the coconut milk than the cows milk. I livein a warm climent. Try the coconut milk. I think you will like it. Aslo at Cultures for Health they don’t mind answering questions. Good luck and enjoy!
    Miriam

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Kefir. Do I have to make my own?’ is closed to new replies.