Kefir confusion

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Kefir confusion

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  lmm 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

lmm
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 138

A poster recently queried whether it was OK for kefir to separate after 24hrs, which confused me since I thought that was the point? You drink the watery whey and remove the curd containing the milk grains?

With that said, I tried some (well, it went as far as my mouth), and it was sour, slightly fizzy, and utterly putrid. I don’t fancy it at all. I left it for 72 hours. Is this too long? I don’t want to risk lactose in the kefir.

I’ve heard that it improves after the kefir become acclimatized. We’ll see!

Len

candida_sucks
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 148

lmm wrote: A poster recently queried whether it was OK for kefir to separate after 24hrs, which confused me since I thought that was the point? You drink the watery whey and remove the curd containing the milk grains?

With that said, I tried some (well, it went as far as my mouth), and it was sour, slightly fizzy, and utterly putrid. I don’t fancy it at all. I left it for 72 hours. Is this too long? I don’t want to risk lactose in the kefir.

I’ve heard that it improves after the kefir become acclimatized. We’ll see!

Len

After 24 hours, you’re supposed to stir it so that the curd and whey mixes back together. You can then strain out the grains, and drink the rest.

jo2212
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 48

You can drink the curds and whey together and even consume the grains seperately if you have extra.

I’ve found the best milk to use especially if you have new grains is organic, non homegenised, full fat jersey milk. My grains go crazy with this.

Jo.

lmm

Thanks, Both.

Actually, the curd doesn’t agree with me but whey is fine. Are the health benefits predominantly in one rather than the other?

I’m also finding that when I strain the kefir, I am left with the grains and loads of curd in the strainer that then has to go into the next batch. This isn’t really what I expected. Is it inevitable to get at least some curd being recycled?

Finally (please humour me!), once the grains are removed, can you use a metal strainer to remove the curd and whey prior to drinking? (My metal ‘tea’ strainer is more effective at separating them.)

Thanks,
    Len

jo2212
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 48

Both the curds and whey are probiotic so if the whey agrees with you more I would definitely stick with that for the time being. I read in your other post that you have sinus issues and I’m wondering if that could be connected to a dairy intolerance? Which may further explain why the curds don’t agree with you. Just an idea of course.

I wash my grains under the tap each time and this certainly does not seem to have had any detrimental effect on them (if anything theres far too many). I find if I don’t wash them they begin to smell which gets lots of complaints from my household and puts me off.

I can’t see why not you won’t be damaging the grains by doing this but I am no kefir expert.

Jo

Clare_
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 134

Wash them in filtered water only. The clorine in tap water will damage them.

Regardig metal: do not do it. Buy a plastic strainer with larger holes (or hesion cloth with large holes), and use this to separate the grains from the curd bits.

BTW, if you are producing so much curd, you may be leaving it to ferment too long.

lmm

Thanks, Jo2212 – I actually don’t have dairy, and haven’t for a year, because I know I dont tolerate casein well. I’m trying goat’s milk (minus curd, if possible) in the hope this is OK.

Sorry, Claire – I meant separating the whey from the curd after the grains have been separated. Does metal only damage the grains?

Len

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Kefir confusion’ is closed to new replies.