Kefir and yeast?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Kefir and yeast?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  UncleOxidant 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

UncleOxidant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 56

I finally got some kefir grains locally and made some coconut kefir and goat milk kefir. One thing I notice about this fresh kefir: it definitely has a yeast smell to it.

After googling around a bit I found that kefir grains are a symbiotic matrix of lacto bacteria and yeasts. So I’m wondering: is the yeast part a problem if you’ve got candida?

Clare_
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 134

I’ve seen a scientific study that shows that kefir kills Candida as well as other yeasts, so I presume that the yeasts in kefir are beneficial.

kodaz2005
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 172

UncleOxidant;31710 wrote: I finally got some kefir grains locally and made some coconut kefir and goat milk kefir. One thing I notice about this fresh kefir: it definitely has a yeast smell to it.

After googling around a bit I found that kefir grains are a symbiotic matrix of lacto bacteria and yeasts. So I’m wondering: is the yeast part a problem if you’ve got candida?

UncleOxidant,

What did you use to make the Coconut Kefir? I had tried making it with Kefir Grains and Coconut Milk. That didn’t work and several people on here told me I should make it with coconut water. So I went and bought some coconut water. However, that didn’t ferment either. It doesn’t look, smell or taste like Kefir. Did you make a successful batch?

I was really hoping to use coconut Kefir, but it’s getting frustrating. I have made about 6 batches of whole milk kefir using the starter kit, which doesn’t taste too bad. I have heard the coconut kefir is fantastic for us.

UncleOxidant

I just put the kefir grains into some of the Trader Joe’s unsweetened coconut milk that comes in a box. The guy I got the grains from had been using them in milk but had never tried coconut milk. They seemed to work fine. I kept them in for 36 hrs, but I think I could have taken them out after 24 hrs. I’ve heard that you need to alternate: you can’t constantly make kefir from coconut milk you have to get them back into cow or goat milk for a cycle.

kodaz2005

UncleOxidant;31719 wrote: I just put the kefir grains into some of the Trader Joe’s unsweetened coconut milk that comes in a box. The guy I got the grains from had been using them in milk but had never tried coconut milk. They seemed to work fine. I kept them in for 36 hrs, but I think I could have taken them out after 24 hrs. I’ve heard that you need to alternate: you can’t constantly make kefir from coconut milk you have to get them back into cow or goat milk for a cycle.

That’s strange as I used the exact same product you did. I also bought the trader Joe’s unsweetened coconut milk in the box. I think I only fermented mine for about 30 hours, but I would think they should still have some Kefir like qualities which they didn’t. I actually used the same grains previously for a batch of Kefir with whole milk so I don’t know why it’s not working for me. Oh well, I guess I’ll stick to the whole milk kefir and yogurt.

Clare_
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 134

I made coconut water kefir using water kefir grains and that worked fine.

It didn’t taste very nice though, so I stopped making it.

kodaz2005

Clare_;31723 wrote: I made coconut water kefir using water kefir grains and that worked fine.

It didn’t taste very nice though, so I stopped making it.

Maybe that’s my problem. My grains are milk grains. Initially I tried using coconut milk with it, which didn’t ferment. Then I tried coconut water, but I guess I would need water grains to use with the coconut water.

I’m going to stick with the whole milk kefir, I’m spending money like crazy on this diet. Just dropped 200$ in 2 days loading up on food, antifungals, etc.

UncleOxidant

This is an informative site on the composition of kefir grains:
    http://www.yemoos.com/milkstrains.html

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Kefir and yeast?’ is closed to new replies.