Kefir and Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Kefir and Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Danny33 5 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Sistercrystal
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 3

I can’t for the life of me find out if homemade kefir contains Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1. Does anyone know?

Is there any reason I can’t let kefir alone be my probiotic? I don’t have a lot of money to spend on probiotics and kefir is fairly inexpensive to make.

Thanks!

Crystal

mygutleaks
    Participant
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 166

Probably not dds-1. But that isn’t necessary imo. I used water kefir as my only probiotic for a long time and it was great. There’s no reason to spend gobs of money on capsules and powders when one can make fermented foods and drinks. After about a year I was able to tolerate homemade sauerkraut and kombucha. Previously I would feel awful from these and also s boulardii, but not anymore! 🙂

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

DDS-1 doesn’t exist in kefir. I would also be concerned about kefir in general for fighting candida:

http://www.thecandidadiet.com/forum/yaf_postst9917_Kefir—The-controversy.aspx

I recently stopped it and I have healed faster so I don’t think its hype is justified.

-raster

Sistercrystal
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 3

So if it’s a choice, financially, between kefir and it’s probiotics vs. no probiotics, which is better?

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1368

Sistercrystal;54842 wrote: So if it’s a choice, financially, between kefir and it’s probiotics vs. no probiotics, which is better?

During the first months of treatment, any of them in my opinion.

Kefir and pharmaceutical probiotics can help after you have eradicated most candida colonies living in the intestines. I am assuming you have an intestinal yeast overgrowth.

Jorge.

Danny33
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 362

Sistercrystal;54835 wrote: I can’t for the life of me find out if homemade kefir contains Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1. Does anyone know?

Is there any reason I can’t let kefir alone be my probiotic? I don’t have a lot of money to spend on probiotics and kefir is fairly inexpensive to make.

Thanks!

Crystal

No, DDS-1 is not present in traditional kefir. DDS-1 is simply not needed and way over rated IMO.

The Lactobacillus species will have a small beneficial but limited effect in the intestinal tract. People who will benefit the most from Lactobacillus and those with severely damaged flora such as right after Anti-biotic treatment or at the beginning stages of treatment.

The best thing you can do is save your money and buy the needed equipment to ferment your own vegetables (saurkraut, kim chi, etc.). These ferments will have a range of species including ones that can live in the GI tract permanently. Thats the most important thing.

M
    Topics: 72
    Replies: 253

@Danny,

What kind of equipment is needed for fermenting your own vegetables? I’d love to make my own Kimchi.

Danny33

M;54876 wrote: @Danny,

What kind of equipment is needed for fermenting your own vegetables? I’d love to make my own Kimchi.

Keep it simple.

1. A fermenting vessel (Crock, Glass Jar, Vegetable Master with air lock, etc)
    2. Sea Salt
    3. Vegetables

I buy from culturesforhealth.com but there are other websites.

Their “Fermented Vegetable Master Gallon Jar” is 25$USD and comes with an air lock and glass weights.
    I make sauerkraut using green cabbage and himalayan sea salt and its amazing.
    I no longer drink milk kefir but I did for 1-2 years, Fermented vegetables are FAR superior to milk ferments for candida sufferers IMO.

Good luck,

-D

M
    Topics: 72
    Replies: 253

So for making sauerkraut, is it just a case of washing and chopping the cabbage, and then putting it in a jar with some sea salt and leaving it for a week or two to ferment? Don’t you have to put vinegar in as well?

Danny33

M;55042 wrote: So for making sauerkraut, is it just a case of washing and chopping the cabbage, and then putting it in a jar with some sea salt and leaving it for a week or two to ferment? Don’t you have to put vinegar in as well?

No washing.
    No vinegar.

There is thousands of videos and how-to’s on-line.

Here’s one -> How to make SauerKraut

I usually ferment for 3 weeks.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Kefir and Lactobacillus acidophilus DDS-1’ is closed to new replies.