Kefir! An some questions

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  ks 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

klips32
    Participant
    Topics: 65
    Replies: 183

If some does not know this, the websites recipe is one of the best guidance for making kefir: http://www.thecandidadiet.com/kefir.htm

questions: I can buy Kefirgrains online, but the are either kefir for water use or kefir for milk use (cow). I talked to the store owner and he told me that the milkkefir would die after some uses in a water ore coconut milk base, but he is not sure at all. What do you guys think?

shell1226
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 71

From my research online, the milk kefir grains can be used in non-dairy milk a few times, then they need to be put in regular milk to keep going. If you only put them in non-dairy milk, they will die.

Water kefir grains are different. You can not use milk kefir in water…it won’t work.

Again, this is just from my research. Once I get into this kefir thing full swing, I can tell you more from experience.

Rachelle

Miriam
    Replies: 61

Hi,
    I make milk kefir. I got my grains from Cultures for Health. they are great on answering questions. I am lactose intolerant and a diabetic. I make my kefir from coconut milk. It
    very refreshing.
    Hope this helps,
    Miriam

shell1226

Miriam, you are using the milk kefir grains for coconut milk kefir? How is it? I would love to try it an stay away from the dairy if I can.
    Rachelle

klips32
    Participant
    Topics: 65
    Replies: 183

I’ve bought the water kefir grains. Fact for me is, that I get rashes from milk (properly lactose) and coconut milk (but less after 48 hours fermentation I believe). I will try with water and sugar, with a 48 hour process to see if this works better. Overall, I’m trying to avoid everything that gives me rashes.

Miriam
    Replies: 61

Hi Shell1226,

Yes I use milk grains for my coconut milk kefir. It taste great. You make it the same way that you would make regular milk kefir. You would use coconut milk instead. Let ferment a little longer. It thickens a bit more when it’s refrigerated. I just love it! Keep in touch and let me know if you have any more questions. Let me know how you like it. Enjoy!!!
    Miriam

shell1226

I will let you know, Miriam. I’m going to try it this weekend. Thanks!

ks
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 2

Miriam;35008 wrote: Hi Shell1226,

Yes I use milk grains for my coconut milk kefir. It taste great. You make it the same way that you would make regular milk kefir. You would use coconut milk instead. Let ferment a little longer. It thickens a bit more when it’s refrigerated. I just love it! Keep in touch and let me know if you have any more questions. Let me know how you like it. Enjoy!!!
    Miriam

When you use coconut milk, are you using fresh, canned, or from a carton?

thanks.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Kefir! An some questions’ is closed to new replies.