Kefir

This topic contains 15 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Able900 7 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Katy Gillett
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 137

Hi all and in particular Able.. I was just reading about kefir and I was wondering if you could shed some more light on it?

I read on wikipedia (I know it’s not the bible but it sure is handy heh) this: “Kefir grains are a combination of bacteria and yeasts in a matrix of proteins, lipids, and sugars.”

So now I’m confused about why its beneficial on the diet…??

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Kefir is a natural antifungal, plus it’s full of amino-acids which form antibodies to fight infections. Amino-acids also interfere with the colonization as well as the development of cells within the Candida. Kefir also adds beneficial bacteria to the digestive system.

Katy Gillett

Is this true or silly?…

“You may be familiar with commercial “kefir” available in some grocery stores; that’s an enhanced version of buttermilk, NOT the real kefir. Many attempts were made to produce kefir commercially; all have a long way to go to be close to the real kefir. The real thing with uncountable health benefits, is still ONLY the traditional home brew made from the original Caucasian kefir grains of Irina – but you can not buy these grains in any store anywhere.”

Able900
    Spectator

Hi, Katy.

Of course I can’t verify this one way or the other never having actually studied kefir in a microscope or personally analyzed it. But just like any other commercially processed food product, I’m sure that if you can make it yourself the quality would be increased. However, this is not saying that all commercially processed kefir is completely without merit, but purchasing the grains and making the kefir yourself would certainly have more health benefits.

Katy Gillett

So the part where it says you ‘can’t buy these grains in any store anywhere’ is a load of rubbish then?

It would be interesting to make some kefir. I actually just found a great looking recipe for coconut kefir which I’ll share once I’ve tried it out and seen it actually works.

And with the kefir.. the fact that it stems from yeasts doesn’t outweigh the benefits or is it just the grains that contain yeast?

Able – daily I’m having about 1/4 glass of kefir 3 times (I’m planning on slowly increasing this serving size), one acidophilus capsule and a bowl of Greek yoghurt. Is that alright for the probiotics for now? I know its not ideal but its all I have to work with right now.

On the antifungals I’m using coconut oil in and with everything. Having a couple of tea spoonfuls of the stuff each day and I’m taking aloe vera capsules but I’m not sure if they’ll actually do anything.

Not particularly having any die off symptoms though – am I on the right track and should I increase?

Able900
    Spectator

Quality kefir grains are available, and they’re capable of producing a quality kefir.

“… the fact that it stems from yeasts doesn’t outweigh the benefits or is it just the grains that contain yeast?”

Correct, the fact that it contains yeast doesn’t outweigh the benefits. Plus not all yeast is capable of feeding Candida, brewer’s yeast for example. In addition, if it’s properly fermented it won’t contain sugars. The largest benefits are the loads of beneficial bacteria it contains as well as beneficial acids.

I prefer water kefir myself, but I doubt its quality is any better than others. You can also use cow milk, coconut milk, or goat’s milk. Milk kefir can be made into a kefir cheese by letting it sit a few days longer. I imagine the instructions can be found on the Internet for the cheese.

“… daily I’m having about 1/4 glass of kefir 3 times (I’m planning on slowly increasing this serving size), one acidophilus capsule and a bowl of Greek yoghurt. Is that alright for the probiotics for now? … am I on the right track and should I increase?”
    You can use your own judgment as far as increasing the dosages. If you’re taking a product to combat the die-off symptoms, raising a dosage shouldn’t be a problem. Remind me of the count you’re taking with the probiotic, also the strains.

The best site I’ve found to purchase the grains is http://www.kefirlady.com/

Katy Gillett

Hi Able…

My probiotic is not so good – it contains lactobacillus acidophilus and says it contained 100 million live at the time of manufacture. Who knows how many now! I found it on a shelf but have kept it refrigerated since opening… I did have some die off symptoms when I started it so I guess that’s a good sign…

Unfortunately the organic shop on the island has run out of kefir and looks like they’re not getting another shipment until after I leave the country so I’m stuck with the acidophilus and Greek yoghurt in terms of probiotics..

Another question.. I’ve been taking aloe vera capsules which I believe are also antifungals and I’ve been feeling exhausted, bloated, anxious and weak since I started them. I’ve also been craving sugar a lot more than I was. Would that be a good sign or should I stop taking them? Still taking tea spoonfuls of coconut oil too.

The exhaustion is horrible since I’m trying to pack up my life! And is made much worse by the weather out here – 40-50 degrees and the humidity soaks you as soon as you’re out the door. Nightmare! I feel terrible for the people who are fasting this Ramadan (started today).

Anyway enough of my blabber! I hope you had a good weekend :). Look forward to hearing from you.

Katy

Able900
    Spectator

Hi, Katy.

I suppose if there is any inflammation apparent, the aloe vera may help that, otherwise, I really don’t see the need for it. Aloe has an alkalizing effect on your body for one thing. I know there are some people who use it in their treatment, but I probably know more who never used it and still cured their Candida.

Since you can’t get a good probiotic until you return to the UK, and the store is out of kefir, I’d double up on the Greek yogurt at lease. I would also increase the amount of coconut oil as well.
    The exhaustion can be caused by die-off or Candida either one, or both, which I am leaning towards. Rest is really the only thing that can help that, and I know that your hands are full right now. Otherwise, the two products I named for reducing die-off could also help.

As far as my weekend, it was indeed perfect, hope yours was as well.

Able

Katy Gillett

OK well since we’ve spent a lot of time debating alkaline and acid environments and you’ve proved your case quite well I’m going to leave the aloe vera alone for now! I’ve no idea about the inflammation part though. And I’ll be doubling up on the yoghurt and coconut oil then. What about the capsule I told you I’m taking – should I double up on that too?

So you think those symptoms were caused by die off and Candida? Is that a good or a bad thing?

I slept for longer than I ever had yesterday and felt sooo bad when I woke up but I do feel much better today and I had quite a good sleep. I also think I’d been a bit hard on myself in the gym so I took a rest day yesterday and that helped. However I was on the treadmill today and it kept sending me running to the toilet! Lovely to know I’m sure but I suppose at least I’m getting rid of those toxins.

I am taking the molybdenum every morning in a glass of water and have been doing for a week or so. I do plan on getting the Candidate when I’m back in the UK too. So hopefully that will help. I’m thinking the climate change will help a lot too! You never get used to this humidity. At least I’ve got the sweating part of the detox down haha!

Glad your weekend was great! Thanks for the post as usual.

Able900
    Spectator

Katy Gillett wrote: What about the capsule I told you I’m taking – should I double up on that too?

Hello, Katy.

I guess that quote is speaking of the Lactobacillus acidophilus, if so, you’ll of course continue to take it, but as far as doubling the amount, I don’t think you should double it at the same time as increasing the Greek yogurt and the coconut oil. The oil especially can cause die-off symptoms, and as you’ve already seen, so can the acidophilus. Considering the possibility of more die-off symptoms, I would wait for perhaps 10 days before increasing the acidophilus.
    Concerning the die-off, what are the dosage instructions of the particular Molybdenum that you’re talking? If you don’t mind, send me the brand name and I will check it myself as you should probably increase it before you double the acidophilus.

As far as the Lactobacillus acidophilus is concerned; the fact that you experienced die-off when you started it presents an enhancement to the argument in favor of an acidic environment to treat Candida. The origin of this term is Greek, and the original meaning was, “acid-loving milk-bacterium.”
    Notice the translation does not say, “alkaline loving” but the opposite. The term ‘acid loving’ is, of course, in reference to the fact that they produce an acid, which as you’ve seen by the die-off symptoms which it caused, kills Candida.

Quote: “So you think those symptoms were caused by die off and Candida? Is that a good or a bad thing?”
    The fact that you’re experiencing die-off symptoms is good because it’s a clue to the fact that, even though you do not yet have all the ammunition you need, you are still killing the Candida. The only negative aspect of this is that you have to experience the symptoms at all. After I’ve seen the amount and instructions for the particular Molybdenum you’re using, we may be able to increase your dosage (regardless of the instructions). Plus, once you’re able to obtain the Candidate back in the UK, the symptoms will hopefully disappear altogether. By the way, the Candidate will work on more of an immediate basis than the Molybdenum does.

Enjoy your humid day as best you can.

Able

Katy Gillett

Evening Able.

No die off symptoms sounds good although I have to admit its the only way I know anything is happening right now!

The Molybdenum I’m taking is – BioCare’s Nutrisorb Molybdenum (Sodium Molybdate and Vitamin C).. here’s a link I found – http://www.revital.co.uk/BioCare_Nutrisorb_Molybdenum.

The bottle says to take “one drop daily in water with food or as professionally directed”.

I’ll keep the acidophilus to one a day then :).

Able900
    Spectator

Hello, Katy.

The liquid form of Molybdenum contains quite a bit of Sodium Molybdate, so one drop should be sufficient to take care of most of the die-off symptoms.

As far as experiencing die-off as being a way to know that something positive is happening is concerned; once you return to the UK and purchase the Candidate and take it plus the molybdenum every day without fail, even though you continue to take the coconut oil and hopefully oil of oregano, you may not feel any die-off symptoms at all because of the effect of the molybdenum and Candidate. This by no means is a clue that “nothing is happening” as far as destroying the Candida is concerned. As long as you are taking the powerful antifungals, plus a higher dose of probiotics, you will continue to destroy the Candida bit by bit. Normally the only problems can appear when one strays rather drastically from the diet and begins to feed the infestation once again.
    Able

Katy Gillett

Thanks Able. After all this time of listening to me.. do you think it is still important that I get tested for candida? Or do you think it is safe to assume I have it and I should carry on the way I’m going? Sorry if this seems like a silly question.

Able900
    Spectator

I would bet on your problem being Candida, Katy, and I would continue as you have been, increasing the antifungals, especially the coconut oil and probiotics a little at a time.

Can you give me an update as to how you’re doing?

Able

Katy Gillett

Hey Able.. I’ve been doing ok. But I have been having problems with stress and thus overeating. I know the stress/nerves will subside.. its just because I’m moving country and leaving my long-term boyfriend behind in a few days! But I do eat more of my bread than I should do as I’m using it as ‘comfort food’ right now, I won’t lie. I seem to have oral thrush now which I didn’t have before so I’m wondering if that’s why – or could that be a die off reaction (or is that just pure wishful thinking?!)? I’m just working up the courage to try out your oil pulling technique as it sounds pretty revolting but people seem to have been saying it works so I know I have to at some point heh.

On another note, I have realised the exhaustion was actually from working out too much.. so I’ve cut back on that and am resting more which has helped. My dizziness went away for a while but these past 2 days has come back. I’ve also seen a return of these stabbing pains in the right side of my head and ears which I haven’t felt in a while.

I have to admit that I’m feeling rather confused and exasperated by everything right now! Especially as although I know I’m overdoing the bread, I’m doing better on the diet than I ever have been.

I’m taking 3-4 teaspoons of coconut oil a day and using it as a spread and cooking oil on top of that…literally wherever/whenever I can. Plus 2 bowls of Greek yoghurt and acidophilus a day.

I’m wondering if as soon as I get back to the UK I should completely cut grains (the only ones I’m touching are buckwheat and quinoa) and even yoghurt when I get a good probiotic supplement. What do you think?

Also, I’ve been eating fresh coconut – could that be causing problems?

Best wishes, Katy

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Kefir’ is closed to new replies.