Just joined the discussion list today. June 13th

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Just joined the discussion list today. June 13th

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Hope 7 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

CTMike
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 5

Hello everyone,
    I’m new to this discussion list. I was trying to find out if I can eat the fresh coconut I purchased today, (as well as how to open it…) and came across an answer on your forum. A yes answer, which is great news. It would probably be hard to find a friend who would like a fresh coconut…
    So that is how I found you and I just joined up.
    I was diagnosed by my chiropractor as having Candida albicans or Monilia albicans.
    I’ve been on the diet since the end of March and followed it religiously.
    Far more frustrating than the strictness of the diet has been the varied information on what one can and cannot eat. Grains yes, grains no. Brown rice yes… and no. Dry beans yes…and no…Tomatoes yes.. and no…
    Every time I research a new website, I get information which is different from the other. Even the information from my holistic chiropractor, in terms of the diet, has also been quite different. Cookbooks I have purchased also differ in the yes, yes foods and no, no foods.
    Is there a really accurate source you would recommend for foods to avoid and foods to eat? At this point my candida is greatly reduced. The second lowest level on the scale which my chiropractor has been testing me. I’m also going to see a gastro doctor next week.
    Thanks for any answers. I appreciate it.
    Best wishes to you all!
    Mike

Hope
    Topics: 22
    Replies: 187

Hi, Mike πŸ™‚ Welcome to the forums!

My answer is “nope”. Sorry, I think there’s just bound to be difference in diets and approaches. What you could do, though, is only stick to the foods 100% approved by the majority of the lists – if you were looking for a safest bet. So, that might mean no beans, no tomatos, no grains, no yogurt/kefir, etc. Sounds like you’ve been doing really well under the guidance of your chiropractor, though, so you could just keep doing what he’s telling you πŸ™‚

A friend of mine is seeing a chiro for her candida, too, and it’s interesting to me that she can eat things that I’ve chosen not to eat. Namely corn and spelt. SPELT. That one seemed crazy to me. Oh, and SUCANAT, for pity’s sake. I just don’t get it. Anyway, I guess if you have doubts about whether a food should be included, don’t include it πŸ™‚

I know that’s pretty much a completely useless reply. I didn’t want your post to go unanswered, though! lol

CTMike

Hello Hope,
    Thank you for your post. Does the forum have an approved food list?
    I feel that if I listened to every website, there would almost nothing I could eat except leafy green vegetable,lemon and animal protein.
    Actually the chiropractor was the most lenient with the diet suggestions, allowing me to have beans, tomatoes and bacon, all which I have seen as no, no foods on other diets. I’m allergic to nuts so he even suggest peanut butter, which seems to be a universal no, no. I haven’t touched that. He also said recently that I could have yeast bread. I haven’t gone near that either!
    For the beginning and the majority of the diet, I’ve stuck to meat, poultry, eggs and fish as protein. Also some oat bran and flax seed meal. He’s had me on unsweetened coconut milk, herbal teas and filtered water. I’ve used olive oil and a little sesame oil. Lots of green vegetables, salad greens, onions, garlic, ginger, lemon, lime. Recently he said I could have some grains. Whole wheat, whole barley, wheat berries, oats and quinoa. Also beans, so I’ve stuck with garbanzos, aduki, lentil. Using the candida cook books I have, I recently have added a muffin and a tea bread using the potassium baking powder.
    He recently put me on a probiotic/antifungal supplement and said I could now add yogurt to my diet.
    Does it sound like I am on track with the forum understanding about the allowed foods.
    I am very grateful to have stumbled into this forum. I have been doing so much of this without any contact with fellow candida patients and limited guidance from my doctors.
    Thanks again.
    Peace,Mike

Hope

Hey, again. Here’s the main page. Stage 1 explains all the “foods to eat” and “foods to avoid”. Some people on these boards follow it exactly as is, other (including myself) kind of combine information from several sources and use it to adjust the diet listed here. For instance, this website – thecandidadiet.com – suggest staying in Stage 1 for only two weeks. I just don’t think that’s nearly long enough. So, I take the basic info, mix it with info from elsewhere, and kind of tailor it for myself. I’m not working with a practitioner right now. I keep hearing all kinds of wacky (to me) things about what certain chiros or naturopaths advise their candida patients. I feel like, even if I went to one, I’d wind up doing my own version of the diet! πŸ™‚

You can check out the link I gave you to see where you line up. Gluten grains like wheat and the peanut butter (high mold) are off limits here for Stage 1. Like I said, that’s technically only 2 weeks long, but I plan on staying away from the “Foods to Avoid” list for quite a while, personally.

Anyway, glad to have you here. Everyone’s very nice – no junk talk and discouraging words that I’ve seen so far. We’re all just trying to encourage one another and get better!!!

πŸ™‚

CTMike

Hello Hope,
    Thank you for the link to the main page. It is actually one of the pages I originally looked at, among many, but had no idea there was a forum connected to this page.
    It sounds like I’ve been very close to these guidelines during the two months plus I have been on the diet, except I hadn’t had any yogurt but had had oats, some beans, lime and limited bacon. Now that I’m on the probiotic/antifungal, the chiropractor said I could add yogurt.
    I’ve never been so vigilant about staying on a diet, which is surprising for me. The motivation to get better has make it quite easy to do so. Today is our anniversary and I just baked our favorite blueberry oat squares…. But none for me…I’m having ginger tea…But I’m OK with that. Mostly….Ha,Ha.
    I’m guessing I must be at stage two. I’ll have to see if there is more information on the link you gave me as to what each stage is like.
    Thanks again!
    Peace, Mike

veg2
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 27

hi Mike,
    I agree with you wholeheartedly! The MOST frustrating thing for me with this diet is all the unanswered questions. There is so much different information out there. I’m actually going tomorrow to see a nutritionist I saw almost a year ago (before the candida stuff). She helped me with some vitamin deficiencies, etc.
    I had tried to get an appt. with her when I finally connected the dots and heard of candida. At that point though I had been feeling so awful for so long I started the diet immediately on my own and went to a different practitioner just due to availability. So, nothing against him, I just think I would feel comfortable with more input.
    The herbalist’s restrictions are also looser than the diet -well stage one on this site. So, Hope made the comment about making her own tweaks to the diet. That’s what I’ve done too. Even though the guidelines I’ve been given are a little more loose, I try to stay close to this site’s stage one, just to err on the side of caution. It’ll be interesting to see what kind of progress there is tomorrow as it’ll be 2 months.
    It’s good for me to hear you started in March and have made tangible progress.
    A lot of people are treating themselves, and it seems like a common occurrence is for people to add back foods when they feel somewhat better, and the candida “comes back” because it never really was eliminated from the bloodstream.
    anyway, good luck to you and this is a good place to feel like you aren’t this only one on this bizarre eating plan! Also for recipe/food ideas. Every couple of weeks or so I seem to hit a wall and get bored, and it’s nice to find some new ideas for meals and snacks.

CTMike

Hello Veg2,
    Thanks for your response. This is really wonderful to have the link to people also going through this same situation. Until today, I have had no connection to anyone else with candida. Nobody, aside from close family, who really understood what has been going on. Even though I have explained some, or much, of what I’m doing with the elimination diet, many think it is a weight loss diet because I have lost over 30 pounds since late March. It is very had to explain candida to others when they are concerned primarily about the sudden huge weight loss or are congratulating me on slimming down. They don’t really get what is going on and the reason for the diet.
    So this connection through this forum is amazing and I’m very grateful.
    Thanks again!
    Peace, Mike

Hope

Veg2, funny you should say that! My friend whose husband is seeing a chiro for his (rather advanced) candida symptoms, just told me that the chiro told her husband he was **cured** after 5 weeks on the diet. He told him his candida was gone. Nevermind that he doesn’t feel much better… “you’re cured!” Well, no wonder his success rate for treating candida is so fantastic, if he just up and declares people cured after 5 weeks even though they still feel sick. Yeesh.

I know there are a lot of really quality practioners truly helping people eradicate their excess yeast, but it really sounds like there are just as many – if not more – quacky advice givers out there, too – charging QUITE a fee while they’re at it. I really hope you get a good one, though! πŸ™‚ If I had a reference that I felt like I could really trust, I’d consider it. Right now, though, it seems like my own research and serious approach to the things I learn is my best bet.

Best wishes to you!!!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Just joined the discussion list today. June 13th’ is closed to new replies.