Jo*jo

This topic contains 22 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Jo*Jo 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Jo*Jo
    Topics: 64
    Replies: 242

As I’ve mentioned before, I’m considering having one christmas dinner. Turkey, some other kind of meat, sausages, bacon, potatoes, gluten free yorkshire puddings, gluten free stuffing..

I’ll be 8 months into the diet, and I’ll be armed with the anti fungals, kefir, probiotics, nox vomica etc..

But I’m interested to know how much damage one meal like this could do. If its a couple of weeks, I can do that. But if its months, I won’t do it. I appreciate it could be hard to say how long, and I’m not after a guarantee, just a rough idea.

Tsunny
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 94

Good question..I’m wondering the same. There are some recipes out there, esp Pin Interest, type in “Yeast/Sugar/Gluten Free Christmas” and a whole bunch come up. My question: Can we use Coconut sugar? I’m thinking not but would it be the best of all evil sugars? (I need something other than the Sweetleaf Stevia)

yeastygut
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 34

The meal you have in mind does not sound too over the top to me, at least. Just try to find sausage and bacon without sugar added, good quality meat (preferably local), and make your own stuffing. I found a millet sandwich bread at my local health food store that I used to make stuffing with and it was absolutely delicious. If you can’t find bread in the store you can always make your own loaf and turn it into stuffing (i just opted for the easier option). For the Yorkshire pudding just use acceptable flours (I tend to favor the almond/coconut/teff, or almond/buckwheat/teff combination), and use water (or coconut milk, yogurt, or kefir) instead of milk. As for the potatoes, I would just make mashed cauliflower and turnip/rutabaga instead.

I have tried coconut sugar a few times now and have had milk reactions to it (fatigue, irritability because of the fatigue), but it’s way better than normal sugar, and it is delicious. I did just find out about a new type of sweetener, YACON SYRUP…. which I just ordered, so all I can tell you is I have heard great things about it and it has a very low glycemic index.

glycemic index:

sucrose 65
    molasses 55
    honey 50
    coconut palm sugar 35
    yacon syrup 1
    stevia 0

I don’t think one meal will set you back more than a week, but it might not be worth the struggle you’ll go through afterwards, or the guilt (if you have any; I try not to feel bad when I make exceptions. You gotta do what you gotta do..)

You should read this post on a different candida forum about feeding yourself during the holidays. This other forum (the Whole Approach) has some different takes on foods you can and cannot eat, which you might be interested in.

http://forum.wholeapproach.com/displayForumTopic/content/299093372782312630/reply/lastReply

Hope this long response is helpful. Happy Holidays!

dvjorge
    Participant
    Topics: 283
    Replies: 1369

Jo*Jo;31325 wrote: As I’ve mentioned before, I’m considering having one christmas dinner. Turkey, some other kind of meat, sausages, bacon, potatoes, gluten free yorkshire puddings, gluten free stuffing..

I’ll be 8 months into the diet, and I’ll be armed with the anti fungals, kefir, probiotics, nox vomica etc..

But I’m interested to know how much damage one meal like this could do. If its a couple of weeks, I can do that. But if its months, I won’t do it. I appreciate it could be hard to say how long, and I’m not after a guarantee, just a rough idea.

Get Coconut Oil.
    You can mix the potatoes and puddings with it. If you poison the food, candida can not ferment it.
    I doubt candida colonies living in the intestinal lumen can ferment potatoes that have been mixed with liquid caprylic acid or coconut oil.

Poisoned food kill any organism that eat it. Candida isn’t an exception.

Jorge.

Jo*Jo

Thanks for all the advice. The worst thing for me is that I’ll be having very little control over how things are made. If i was cooking, and staying at home, things would be a lot. The only things i’d have control over are the gluten free things (sausages, yorkshire puds, stuffing) so i can try to be inventive with those.

But with regard to the coconut oil and caprylic acid, dvorge, perhaps i could take those and other anti fungals before and after the meal to try to limit the damage?

Tsunny
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 94

Where does Xylitol fit into the glycemic index? I’m wondering if that would be better…
    Never heard of Yacon, can it be bought in a health food store? Or does it have to be ordered?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Jo*Jo;31325 wrote: As I’ve mentioned before, I’m considering having one christmas dinner. Turkey, some other kind of meat, sausages, bacon, potatoes, gluten free yorkshire puddings, gluten free stuffing..

Jo, I’m speaking only for myself when I was at eight months into the treatment, and I know what I did and would do again. In that position, I would continue to avoid too much Candida “food” during one day. That’s condensing a lot of food into one big feast for the Candida which is not going to be good for your present situation. You’ve put in a lot of hard work on this, and I would hate to see you go back to suffering from the symptoms again.

I would say that you could eat the turkey, but try to avoid pork and beef as usual. A sweet potato should not cause too much trouble at this point, but I would make it a small amount. I would avoid starch, which is going to change into pure sugar once in your body. I’m afraid I don’t know what your Yorkshire puddings would consist of.

As far as how much damage a meal such as you described would do; no one is going to be able to tell you this for certain. We can only go by our own experience, and as you’ve heard many times before, we are all different. The first time I tried to add a new food to the diet, I experienced a lot of Candida symptoms which I had not been experiencing for many weeks and which lasted for about three weeks before they started lessening. This caused me to become depressed thinking about how hard I had worked on the treatment and diet.

Of course, you might go ahead with the meal as planned and receive zero reactions or change, but unfortunately, this is a gamble we all take when we decide to go off the diet.

Good luck to you.
    Able

benc
    Topics: 67
    Replies: 419

this is something i’ve been thinking about. I’m not completely in control of what we are having, so decided I would bring some swede (rutabaga) & some chicken stock (to make gravy) & just eat the turkey & sprouts (& any other greens available).

If I’m honest with you its not big deal as I don’t like christmas deserts in general, i’m not missing the alcohol, as dizziness was a big symptom of mine so i’ve had my fair share of that sensation. Its really only coffee I miss.

I’m going to make some of my coconut cakes to take with me as they are really filling & means if I get an itch for something sweet i’ve got something there.

This might be the first christmas I don’t feel like falling asleep after lunch.

yeastygut

xylitol is a 12 on the glycemic index. The health food store in my town apparently used to carry yacon syrup, but no longer does. I ordered some off of the Whole Approach website for candida.

titan
    Participant
    Topics: 51
    Replies: 131

hindsight is 20/20. I cheated during Thanksgiving, and suffered from depression and neck pain as a result. The depression is lifting, but my neck pain is horrible and is still with me 3 weeks later.

I wish I had not cheated. 15 minutes of pleasure was not worth 3 weeks of pain. As soon as you cheat, you don’t get to enjoy it. You start to feel guilty, eat more than you should, then wait around with anxiety for the symptoms to show up, which happened to me within 24 hours.

hindsight is 20/20.

Jo*Jo

Well prior to starting this topic I was undecided but having read the posts, I wont be throwing caution to the wind, as it were and feasting just like anyone else. Both my fiance and my mum agree with the posts and say its just not worth it. And they’re right.

I’ve made a list of the things I’m willing to eat although some of the items on there wont be 100% candida safe because where I am in the Uk, its very hard to get meat without any added ingredients. Certainly all prepackaged ready to eat chicken will have sugar, salt and starch as I found out after naively assuming they would be fine. Turkeys seem to be the same, especially being ready basted with butter, unless you pay way over the odds, which I cant do considering the turkey will be feeding 12 and I’ll only be having a small amount of it. Its very frustrating because if i was caught out at work or on a day out without any food, I always assumed I could go and buy a ready cooked prepacked chicken portion. But no.

I wonder how many people realise the crap that is pumped into our meat. Is it like this in other countries?

There are also hot fresh cooked whole chickens on hot food counters that you can buy in supermarkets here and I’ve had a few of them. I doubt that there’s no added ingredients in them too but i’ve had little reaction and no one can tell me if they do or not. Certainly at the shops (or at Sainsburys at least) the chickens arrive raw and they dont have to add anything but they dont know if they add stuff before they get to the shops.

The list of food i’m willing to eat are:
    Turkey (yes, basted etc)
    Chicken
    Salmon
    Perhaps a very small amount of ham or bacon
    Swede mash
    Cabbage
    Cauliflour
    Green beans
    Sprouts
    Plus stuffing I plan to make using this recipe that I found.

Sage and onion stuffing
    100g (4oz) millet
    450ml (3/4 pint) stock
    1 onion, chopped
    25g (1oz) margarine, melted
    2 level tsps dried sage
    2 tsp sesame seeds
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

yeastygut

read “The Omnivore’s Dilemma” by Miachel Pollan and you’ll learn all about what’s pumped into the meat (and most other foods, too) in the U.S. Mostly bits and pieces derived from corn and soy beans, plus loads of unnatural chemicals not meant for human consumption.

yisucks
    Participant
    Topics: 131
    Replies: 331

I have a question. Since she’s been on the diet for 8 months, wouldn’t it be appropriate for her to start adding foods in? I saw you discouraged beef, but I know organic beef is on the list for stage 2. The reason I ask is because I am creeping up on my 6th month on the diet. People keep asking me “When are you going to stop with this already?” and I tell them that I need to start reintroducing foods before I can ever eat like a semi normal human being again (if ever). At around my 8th month on the diet, I was planning to move to stage 2. Does that seem reasonable or do I need to wait longer? There’s just so long I can go on with this…I also think that the diet can only ever help me so much for me with vaginal yeast infections anyway.

Jo*Jo

Oh believe me i thought i’d be further along by now and being on stage two (millet, apples, nuts etc) but some of my symptoms are still present. The major yeast infection that was making sex impossible went about three months ago but i still have a white tongue, so according to Able and Raster (and i’m in agreement) i shouldnt move on until its gone. I think i read somewhere that you can expect to be on this stage for 10 months? I’m pretty sick of this diet to be honest and in the last couple of weeks i’ve gotten lazy. Sometimes I end up eating buckwheat and oatbran porridge for two or 3 meals a day and I know thats not good so i’m trying to kick myself out of it.

But i’m not going to quit and i surely cant be far off now. I’m rotating 7 antifungals and am on 80 billion probiotics so I must be doing the right thing. My finger nails have finally stopped peeling though which is another improvement so i’m feeling positive.

Yeasty, thanks, i will look into that book.

Castiel
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 6

My word Jojo, 8 months!

I thought I had it bad with my skin condition, but yours is on another level altogether! I’m on my third month, and even with that, there have been foods which I shouldn’t have been eating (normal oats, pork).

My weaknesses are the mince pies and Christmas pudding, but despite the cravings being worse than ever, I can make it through. So, Turkey and spinach it is then for me.

(I noticed you’re in Brighton. Where did you get the 80 billion probiotic from? I’m only on about 10 billion so far).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Jo*jo’ is closed to new replies.