I've seen a naturopath – what do you think?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions I've seen a naturopath – what do you think?

This topic contains 23 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  ShanBurford 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Jo*Jo
    Topics: 64
    Replies: 242

I emailed my story to a few local naturopaths along with some questions. I dont know if I scared them off with my questions but I read their websites and the one I liked the most was the only one who responded.

I went through the College of Naturopathic Medicine Uk and she has been practicing for nearly 20 years. She has made no promises that she’ll be able to cure me but she says she’ll try me on protocol individual to me. She sent me a very comprehensive health questionnaire and a 7 day food diary which I completed and returned.

I asked 4 questions and these are her answers:

Have you successfully treated anyone with candida before? – I have in the past and am currently treating people with candida; it is a lengthy process.

Would you do testing for candida and related ailments? – I test when appropriate

Have you successfully treated anyone with level 4 cancers or tumours? – Non-medically trained practitioners are not permitted, by law, to treat cancer; we can offer nutritional support

Are you familiar with chelation agents, particularly ALA and Glucosothione? – Rectifying nutritional imbalances enables the body to detoxify at its own pace; using chelating agents specifically to detox heavy metals etc needs to be used with extreme care and I have not used these agents specifically for chelation.

When I spoke to her on the phone she said she would probably want to do a urine test that would test for these things along with others: nutrient status, gut function and ratios of minerals.

Able, Raster and others.. what do you think?

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

I think I would definitely visit the naturopath who replied to your questions, Jo. She at least ‘sounds’ like she has an open mind about what can be done. I wouldn’t trust any naturopath who would lay out a complete list of tests, etc. with which they intended to start. That’s what I call “money up front” meaning before they even do anything at all you’ve got to pay them a load, and I definitely agree with her plan to use a questionnaire to find out exactly what some of your problems are before starting an arsenal of tests. Plus it sounds like she knows more than most professionals do about Candida by admitting that it’s a lengthy process.

I also agree with her as far as chelation is concerned. It is indeed possible for the correction of nutritional imbalances to promote natural chelation which is another thing the strict diet is capable of doing in many cases (not all, but many). This is why I believe chelation should always be a last-resort effort for a huge majority of people affected by a Candida overgrowth.

Much good luck to you in whatever decision you make.
    Able

NiuBlau
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 39

I like her answers (and the fact that she actually answered).

About the chelation: I think I understand where she is coming from. There is a treatment called “Nutritional Balancing” by Dr. Lawrence Wilson. He does not use chelators like ALA, but provides enough minerals to the body so it can let the toxic minerals go. It is slower and softer than other chelation.

It is also very good that she has had candida patients before.

She seems to be a good find, I would give it a try.

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

She sounds pretty knowledgeable.

-raster

Jo*Jo

Ok well I saw her today and I’d be interested to see what you think. I have to say that I liked her but I’m not sure about the foods she said i can try: Sweet potato, carrots, game, venison, any berries but not blueberries, cantaloupe melon, kiwis, pineapple and grapefruit. I’ve tried pineapple this evening and its been ok so far. She’s going to send me some meal plans for ideas and i’m looking forward to those because i’ve definitely become stuck in a rut.

She said I’d made a “valiant, courageous and determined” effort with my diet over the past year but agreed that I needed some help with a more individual approach.

She says I definitely have a candida overgrowth, with compromised immunity along with probable Leaky Gut syndrome.. all which result in the food intolerences, yeast infections, hair loss and joint issues. The reasons for this will most likely be that
    – i dont chew my food (so i’m not getting enough nutrients)
    – i wasnt breast fed
    – all the antibiotics i had up until about 2004 (probably about 1 dose each year for 5 years)
    – poor diet of junk food and cola addiction etc

My body will decide what it wants to heal first so theres no way of telling which thing i’ll see an improvement in first although really at the moment all i want to improve is what i can tolerate.

I need to order probiotics called Infantis that contain nutrients from breast milk. I should have them for 3 months and then move onto Biocare Bio Acidophilus Forte. I should also reduce my vit c intake from 4000mg to 2000mg.

I also need to reduce the amount of buckwheat I eat because I was eating loads of it in different forms every day. I was a bit panicked because I rely on it, particularly the crispbreads as snacks as I miss something crunchy. She said that if I keep having so much I’ll end up intolerant to that too which is what i’ve read on these forums. Instead I can have coconut flour and try other gluten free grains like rice flour, chickpea flour etc. She doesnt guarantee that i’ll be able to tolerate them and i know this goes against the strict diet on here. I’m willing to try though but trying rice flour will probably be last on my list. Veg smoothies are good and i should have these for breakfast.

She spent a lot of time explaining the importance of chewing my food so i have to aim to do this for at least one whole meal a day at this stage.

Tests: She wants to see the results from my coeliac test and all the tests i ever had for my hair loss. I need to do a temperature test myself every day for a week which tests for thyroid issues and this way is apparently much more reliable than a blood test. She’s going to let me know of some other tests that she advises I have done – Intestinal Permeability which will confirm Leaky Gut and a saliva test which shows the full state of my immune system. Theres also one that will cover the state of “everything” apparently and thats very expensive so she’s going to be sure I need this before letting me know. I agree with some testing and see them as an investment so i dont have this coming back to bite me on the ass in future.

She also said to keep up with the cod liver oil, milk thistle, bitters, EPO and add a multi vitamin instead of the magnesium, calcium, zinc and biotin separately.

I’m feeling hopeful but cautious and I know i need to try these things slowly. I doubt i’ll even have tried everything by the time i see her next month.

Opinions?

Jo*Jo

Update: big headache tonight. Won’t be trying pineapple again

NiuBlau
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 39

Yes, they’re quite sugary.

I would stick with grapefruit, berries and other low sugar fruits.

Also not more than one piece a day.

This way fruits are okay for us I believe.

kjones02
    Participant
    Topics: 79
    Replies: 315

yeah, I really do not eat fruit, but if I def, feel okay, I can eat a just a small little handful of berries that doesn’t set me back. They are lower sugar.

Able900
    Spectator

Hi, Jo.
    I can’t say that I have a problem with everything she’s doing so for, but after treating and finally curing my own Candida infestation, I can say with confidence that she is way off base on a few things.

I should also reduce my vit c intake from 4000mg to 2000mg.

Why in God’s name would she tell you to do this? Any half-way knowledgeable naturopath should know that it takes at the very least 3000 mg of vitamin C a day to ‘saturate’ an average size adult which is the point where vitamin C is completely protecting the body. Did you ask her why?

The new probiotic containing nutrients from breast milk sounds like a great idea.

berries but not blueberries, cantaloupe melon, kiwis, pineapple and grapefruit.

That’s one hell of a lot of fructose. Oh well, the little critters that started all of your problems should be happy at least.

I need to do a temperature test myself every day for a week which tests for thyroid issues and this way is apparently much more reliable than a blood test.

That test was posted on the forum quite a while back; the reason I posted it is because it’s so accurate.

I honestly hope that she comes up with some better ideas in the future since you’re paying her good money, Jo.

Good luck on testing the new foods.

Able

raster
    Participant
    Topics: 104
    Replies: 6838

I agree with some of the things she mentioned. The human derived probiotic should be interesting, haven’t heard of this one brand yet. The buckwheat or any food item you eat in large amounts can be problematic because the candida will then adapt to this food source and you can potentially become allergic to it like she mentioned.

I am unsure whether the tests are worth it not but its up to you. I haven’t really taken any tests and got better without them but we are all different…

The multivitamin one could be problematic but give it a go. I am surprised she recommended this because she could prescribe a bunch of individual supplements instead of a multivitamin, so this would go against her potential goal of making money. My naturopath feels the best mineral source is from plants which use minerals to grow and so I am personally considering not using the cheap mineral supplements.

The fruit one is more controversial. I haven’t heard of many who get better with fruit consumption but I don’t spend a lot of time going to candida forum’s (just this one) so I have no idea. Basically half or more of the doctors who treat candida suggest fruit (including dr. mcoombs), so its definitely something that isn’t out of the ordinary from my perspective. In comparison, my naturopath says you can have it but in moderation.

However certain fruits are problematic more than others and pineapple and canteloupe are two fruits that should cause concern. Both are high in mold content; in order to get pineapple it has to ship across the world from somewhere like hawaii and in this process it molds. Same with canteloupe. If you can go to hawaii and eat fresh pineapple, I say go for it, but otherwise it I would be wary of it. Canteloupe has a similar life history but is less of a problem in my opinion.

Last summer I experimented with a high fruit diet for a month and the first 3 weeks I felt better but by the 4th week, I felt worse and was getting reactions to it. The fresh stuff in hawaii wasn’t a major problem for me but eating the old stuff back here was more of a problem.

I haven’t experimented with high doses of vitamin C but in my opinion you had a high dose. Another forum member mentioned how this caused her teeth to go bad so this is one thing I would be concerned about.

-raster

Able900
    Spectator

raster;42633 wrote: I haven’t experimented with high doses of vitamin C but in my opinion you had a high dose. Another forum member mentioned how this caused her teeth to go bad so this is one thing I would be concerned about. -raster

I swear, Raster, there are times that I think you type just to watch your fingers move. Yes I know you stated that “some member” thought that vitamin C made her teeth go bad and that this is just your “opinion” but I wish to hell you’d remember that people are actually reading what you post, and believe it or not, a lot of members actually “assume” that you’re an expert on everything you write about.

If the member you spoke of was taking a pill form of vitamin C and not the chewable form, then the problem with her teeth came from another source. Research shows that the only damage vitamin C can cause to teeth is if chewable tablets are taken in mega-doses, and the mega-doses would have to be taken very close together for a continuous period of time for even a slight amount of damage to occur. No one in their right mind is going to chew ”mega” doses of vitamin C. By the way, 2000-4000 mg of vitamin C is not necessarily a high dose. In the medical field “mega-doses” of vitamin C are used for certain treatments and these doses are so high that they have to be given by injection only.

As a child, my mother always gave me vitamin C once a day and much more often during the winter months to combat the flu and colds, and since I’ve been on my own I’ve taken at the very least 3000 mg a day and as much as 10,000 mg a day more times that I can count to fight off colds, flu and even die-off. Today, my teeth are absolutely fine, and I’ve had very few cavities to be filled considering I’m in my mid-thirties.

Quote:
    “Dental decay is a disease that involves colonization by Streptococcus mutans which is a bacteria that produces lactic acid from the fermentation of carbohydrates; the acid dissolves the surface structure of teeth causing decay and other malformations. Decreased levels of vitamin C are associated with the growth of this cariogenic bacterium.”
    This was taken from a publication in “Oral Health in America: a report of the Surgeon General.” Accessibility verified February 12, 2003.

If vitamin C causes any effect at all, it’s protection of the teeth, not damage.

Able

mrs.candida
    Topics: 53
    Replies: 452

When I started taking high doses of vitamin C I started sleeping better and noticed less depression. About 5 months into my treatment I went to the dentist to have a small cavity filled (this had been needing to happen for about 6 months). The dentist took xrays, which I was really against, but good thing she did because the cavity was GONE! I’m not saying it was the vitamin C, but it surly didn’t hurt my teeth. I’d put my money on the low sugar diet.

Jo Jo, what I’d really like to know is why no blueberries? I’m guessing pineapple made it onto her list because the bromelain, would help with digestion.

I’m seeing a new naturopath this week. I’m really frustrated by my new food sensitivities. I honestly feel like there’s no way out of this diet once you’ve been on it for a year. I’m trying to eat more variety of foods for fear that I’ll become sensitive to more and more things.

Able900
    Spectator

mrs.candida;42655 wrote: When I started taking high doses of vitamin C I started sleeping better and noticed less depression. About 5 months into my treatment I went to the dentist to have a small cavity filled (this had been needing to happen for about 6 months). The dentist took xrays, which I was really against, but good thing she did because the cavity was GONE! I’m not saying it was the vitamin C, but it surly didn’t hurt my teeth. I’d put my money on the low sugar diet.

Hello, Mrs. C, thank you for sharing your experience with vitamin C and hopefully removing some of the before-mentioned fear of this very useful vitamin that may have been instilled in some of the readers.

I’m really frustrated by my new food sensitivities. I honestly feel like there’s no way out of this diet once you’ve been on it for a year. I’m trying to eat more variety of foods for fear that I’ll become sensitive to more and more things.

Mrs. C, I’m assuming that all of your allergic reactions started after you contracted a Candida infestation and therefore are caused by your leaky gut problem. Is this correct? If this is the case, then you’re already aware that you can’t cure the leaky gut until the population of the fungal Candida have been reduced sufficiently. I’m just saying this to make it clear that the foods you’re eating (or not eating) are not the cause of your allergies because the base cause is still the Candida located in the intestines. Going off of the diet and adding more foods would only allow the potential of causing more allergies not to mention the potential of the foods you add causing the infestation to increase in numbers therefore making your Candida symptoms worse and therefore the leaky gut permeability to increase.

When the leaky gut syndrome syndrome is difficult to heal even after the Candida numbers have been reduced sufficiently, sometimes further measures are needed to bring the permeability of the intestines to full healing. In some of these cases, heavy metal toxicity, specifically mercury toxicity is one problem that may need to be addressed before complete healing can occur, therefore, this is the avenue I would pursue and focus on for the time being and not so much the allergies.

If you’ve not already done so, I would suggest reading Titan’s thread concerning the experience he had with his Progress on Mercury Medicine.

Able

moochpb
    Topics: 112
    Replies: 688

About 3 months ago I upped my dose to vit c to at least 4 to 5000 mg a day. This was the first year in 6 years, knock on wood, that I had no flu. I only caught one cold for a few days from my fiancé. Those are a few positives with dealing with yeast. I had a dr a month and a half ago tell me I’m an idiot basically for taking that much and I stopped taking as much. I was takin only 1000. She wanted me off completely. During that week my energy levels were horrible so I’m back on 4 to 5000 mg a day. Since my allergies to pollen is in full effect I might add some more. I’m at the dr waiting on my mercury toxicity test as we speak. Hope I get more answers

Jo*Jo

I have to say that I expected the controversy of the fruit. I emailed her and asked why she recommended those fruits and she said that they are very low in fructose. But I see others that are lower, like apricots as suggested on the strict diet here so I dont understand that. She said that there are digestive enzymes in pineapple which would be beneficial for me but the reaction suggests die off and a further indication of leaky gut. Die off sounds right to me because it was the same headache that i experienced with the cleanse before the strict diet.

Re the Infantis probiotic. I ordered BioCare Infantis but this she says has little effect on adults and told me to order Darmocare Infantis from Bonusan instead to be taken with BioCare Bio Acidophilus Forte. BioCare Infantis contains the same probiotic strains as the BioCare Bio Acidophilous Forte, only in smaller amounts. Darmocare Infantis has different strains which are suitable for adults as well as babies.

This is the test she wants me to have http://www.gdx.net/uk/product/36. She says that it doesnt test directly for leaky gut or immune function, but my nutrient status that it will show will indicate the reasons for my reactions and also give the best nutrients needed and their levels. Does that sound good?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘I've seen a naturopath – what do you think?’ is closed to new replies.