Is xanthan gum allowed?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Is xanthan gum allowed?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  UncleOxidant 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

mamagibbs4
    Topics: 19
    Replies: 14

All bread products made with our approved flours tend to fall apart. Friends on gluten-free diets told me I could use xanthan gum to fix that. Is xanthan gum okay for us to eat?

lmm
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 138

I don’t know about xanthan gum, but I’ve seen guar gum recommended. However, my sense is that the utility of guar gum for cooking might be limited.

Regards,
    Len

Clare_
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 134

Putting in a lot of eggs works at keeping the bread together.

Doggiemama
    Topics: 43
    Replies: 204

xanthan gum is a corn base. not recommended. i personally use the guar gum. it is used in small quantities..but yes..adding tons of eggs works well also.

lincoln
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 4

Hey Mamagibbs,

I know this thread is quite old but I did feel the need to clarify for others this issue.

Xantham Gum is a polysaccharide which means it contains three types of sugars all binded into one big mess. It is also derived from a form of mould so I would stay far away from it, which is a shame cause it’s an excellent thickening agent.

Also Guar Gum is the same except is is only a disaccharide meaning it is two sugars joined together, and not produced from mould however it is obviously still not good for those suffering candida.

Lincoln

yeastygut
    Topics: 7
    Replies: 34

ground flax seed also helps greatly to bind bready baked goods together

UncleOxidant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 56

+1 on the ground flax seed. I grind it in a coffee grinder I’ve set aside for that purpose. Then mix it with some water and let it sit for 30 minutes or so and then stir it again. Makes a good egg substitute if you’re vegan (or even if you’re not and like me you’re out of eggs)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Is xanthan gum allowed?’ is closed to new replies.