Is water Kefir allowed on a Candida diet?

Home The Candida Forum Candida Questions Is water Kefir allowed on a Candida diet?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  SomeDay 6 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Faye
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 10

Hi guys, I was wondering if water kefir is allowed on a Candida diet.. I’m making my own milk kefir out of live grains, but have heard that water kefir is also really good & has different strains & probiotics that the milk one. I wanted to take that in addition to the milk one, to up my probiotic intake, as store bought probiotics here in Italy have max 2 billion per capsule & not 30 billion as Lisa recommends. My only concern though is the sugar, as the water kefir feeds on sugar, I read online that the kefir transforms the sugar & ferments it all, is that so? Do you guys know anything more about it? Txs alot!

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Hello, Faye.

Yes, water kefir is part of the forum’s Protocol if anyone wishes to use it.

Able

Faye

Txs Able!
    Could I please have a copy of the list of your diet, cuz from my understanding it’s different than Lisa’s.
    Txs aton!

Able900
    Spectator
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 4811

Faye;40844 wrote: Txs Able!
    Could I please have a copy of the list of your diet, cuz from my understanding it’s different than Lisa’s. Txs aton!

Check your inbox on the forum, Faye.

Faye

Txs Able!
    So from my understanding organic Millet milk is not allowed right? Cuz I’ve been cooking my organic oat bran in it & adding coconut every morning for breakfast.
    Please let me know txs!

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

Faye you might be wasting your $$ with water kefir. Water kefir+kombuchu can have a mild alcoholic taste for a reason. Notice in this link the number of candida strains in kefir. Looks like a possibility of 11 candida strains. Hence— why some people have a bad reaction with water kefir.

http://www.culturesforhealth.com/milk-kefir-grains-composition-bacteria-yeast

Milk kefir might be a better choice than water kefir because lactose is more designed for bacteria than yeast.

I really don’t think the strains in kefir colonize because they don’t really match what’s in the human gut. The ratio of yeast to bacteria in kefir does not match very well with the human gut. I don’t think people are understanding that concept. Why would someone consume a beverage that has a 49% yeast to 51% bacteria ratio when the human gut is “mostly bacteria”.

Good summary of gut flora:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gut_flora

Faye

Hi Jameskep, txs for answering!
    So you heard that water kefir is bad for Candida sufferers? I read the probiotics & strains of Kefir, both the milk & water one, & saw that the water one had candida yeast strains, but isn’t Candida yeast good? It’s once it turns into fungus that it’s bad? Please let me know, cuz I wouldn’t wanna take something that’ll hinder my progress. Txs a lot!

jameskep
    Participant
    Topics: 25
    Replies: 220

Candida yeast in the right proportion is not harmful. But for someone who has yeast overgrowth They are better taking a probiotic or fermented food that produces more good bacteria than yeast.
    Again, the strains in kefir don’t really match up with the human gut very well. I think the people that are receiving some benefits from kefir are probably more from the milk kefir and are getting benefits from the beneficial acids metabolized from the milk rather than the actual strains. The gut is mostly bacteria so its best take supps/fermented foods that mostly resemble that kind of environment.

Faye

Txs will look into it more! 🙂

mygutleaks
    Participant
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 166

at first I wasn’t sure, but I think water kefir is very beneficial, not harmful. I am now drinking 1 to 2 quarts per day and most days I am no longer taking a probiotic. From my research, kefir has way more probiotic count than the capsules, at a fraction of the cost.

Just make sure it’s brewed long enough. it shouldn’t taste that great. but also it shouldn’t taste too alcoholic. more like sweet tea gone bad. maintain the ratios – 4 tbl sugar, 4 cups water, 4 tbl of grains (tbl = tablespoons) x 48/hours brewing. it doesn’t contain candida albicans, just other species of candida and beneficial yeasts. I’m not sure the below list is totally accurate, because I know I react very badly to S. Boulardii, as well as Kombucha, which contains S Boulardii. But I am fine with water kefir (except in the beginning when I drank too much and had horrible die-off with a very high fever, so go slow if you are new to it)

Strains of bacteria and yeast found in Kefir Grains (and kefir itself):

Water kefir is typically composed of Lactobacillus, Streptococcus, Pediococcus and Leuconostoc bacteria with yeasts from Saccharomyces, Candida, Kloeckera and possibly other minor yeasts.

Bacteria

Species Lactobacillus
    L. acidophilus
    L. alactosus
    L. brevis
    L. bulgaricus
    L. casei subsp. casei
    L. casei subsp. pseudoplantarum
    L. casei subsp. rhamnosus
    L. casei subsp. tolerans
    L. coryneformis subsp. torquens
    L. fructosus
    L. hilgardii
    L. homohiochi
    L. plantarum
    L. psuedoplantarum
    L. reuterietc
    L. yamanashiensis

Species Streptococcus
    S. agalactiae
    Sr. bovis
    S. cremeris
    S. faecalis
    S. lactis
    S. mutans
    S. pneumoniae
    S. pyogenes
    S. salivarius
    S. sanguinis
    S. suis
    S. viridans

Species Pediococcus
    P. damnosus

Species Leuconostoc
    L. mesenteroides

Species Bacillus
    B. subtilis
    B. graveolus

YEASTS

Species Saccharomyces
    S. bayanus
    S. boullardii
    S. cerevisiae
    S. florentinus
    S. pretoriensis
    S. uvarum

Species Kloeckera
    K. apiculata

Species Hansenula
    H. yalbensis

Species Candida
    C. gueretana
    C. lamica
    C. valida
    *does not contain C. albicans – the yeast associated with human yeast infections and ‘candida’ in
    general

Species Torulopsis
    T. insconspicna
    *does not contain T. glabrata, also associated with yeast infections and ‘candida’

http://www.yemoos.com/waterkefirstrains.html

Faye

Txs alot mygutleaks, I guess I’ll try it & see how my body reacts to it… I had already seen that list from yemoos before but wasn’t sure if it was accurate or not!

mygutleaks
    Participant
    Topics: 47
    Replies: 166

no prob! I am fine with water kefir, but not milk kefir, or other fermented foods. I’ve tried kombucha, fermented veggies, s boulardii. all seem to bother me. water kefir also keeps me from getting colds. I used to get them constantly, now can’t remember the last time.

SomeDay
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 42

I loved water kefir, so fuzzy and sweet taste. I even did enemas with it o_O Anyway, the probiotic effects of goat milk kefir were much more pronounced (going to the bathroom with almost normal stools and “good” gurgling noises in the gut). Plus, I learned its packed with fructose and some people say that isnt healthy, eventually I stopped using it. All on all, super cheap and very good tasting. Homemade sauerkraut also has an strong probiotic effect for me. Everyone its different, try everything and see what agrees with your stomach 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Is water Kefir allowed on a Candida diet?’ is closed to new replies.